Off topic: Scientific Research on Cinema, Humour and Ethnicity in 4 Countries! I Need U! :)
Thread poster: Alessandro Amarossi
Alessandro Amarossi
Alessandro Amarossi  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:54
Russian to Italian
+ ...
Nov 28, 2011

Hi there!

My name is Alessandro, I live, work and study in Italy at the master's degree course in Conference Interpreting of the University of Bologna.

At the moment I have to prepare my master's degree thesis, and this crazy idea came to my mind: to conduct a a research on humour, cinema and ethnicity in four different countries! The topic is one of the most difficult ever, so I need your help!

For this rea
... See more
Hi there!

My name is Alessandro, I live, work and study in Italy at the master's degree course in Conference Interpreting of the University of Bologna.

At the moment I have to prepare my master's degree thesis, and this crazy idea came to my mind: to conduct a a research on humour, cinema and ethnicity in four different countries! The topic is one of the most difficult ever, so I need your help!

For this reason I created a blog, ( http://carnelevarium.blogspot.com ) and a page on facebook ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carnelevarium-Culturarum/264050860285550 ) on which you can find a questionnaire about the topic of my research.

In both pages you find a 'square', in blue and beige... an embedded version of the questionnaire.... it's pretty straightforward if you read the instructions (I did my super best to make everything easily accessible and understandable)

1) answer the questions in sec.A (personal info)
2) watch video 1, answer question 1 of section B, video 2, question 2 and so on..

I would really appreciate if you could have a look at either one of the questionnaires and complete one of them! On each page (both Facebook's and Blogspot's) you will find all necessary instructions. Just read them carefully and... enjoy your time! It is FUN, and it will not take more than 35 minutes.

I count on YOU!

Thanks a lot in advance,
Alessandro
Collapse

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
No video Nov 28, 2011

Alessandro,

I tried to fill in the questionnaire on the blog, but there was no video. None at all. This was with Firefox 8, javascript turned on.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:54
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
It worked with me Nov 28, 2011

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

Alessandro,

I tried to fill in the questionnaire on the blog, but there was no video. None at all. This was with Firefox 8, javascript turned on.

Did you scroll all the way down because that's where they are hiding? I use Firefox, too, and there were no problems.

[Edited at 2011-11-28 12:11 GMT]

Alessandro Amarossi
Poland
Russian to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just scroll down! Nov 28, 2011

The videos are below the questionnaire.... thx a lot for your support, your answers will be very much appreciated and valued

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Alessandro,

Did you scroll all the way down because that's where they are hiding? I use Firefox, too, and there were no problems.

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes... Nov 28, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Alessandro,

Yes, I did, unfortunately.

Alessandro Amarossi
Poland
Russian to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Flash installed? Nov 28, 2011

All the videos are taken from Youtube or Megavideo... Just wondering: is Flash installed correctly? Can you see videos on Youtube?

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Alessandro,

Yes, I did, unfortunately.

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes again... Nov 28, 2011

Alessandro Amarossi wrote:

All the videos are taken from Youtube or Megavideo... Just wondering: is Flash installed correctly? Can you see videos on Youtube?

Again, yes, Flash works correctly.

Alessandro Amarossi
Poland
Russian to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pretty unusual... Nov 28, 2011

My technical knowledge on the matter has then some limits... the only suggestion I can come up with is to try to open the blog with another browser, Chrome (works like wonder), Safari or IE.

Alessandro Amarossi wrote:

Again, yes, Flash works correctly.

Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Weird Nov 28, 2011

...I just had another look, and now the videos are there. IT - don't mess with it, don't try to understand it.

Alessandro Amarossi
Poland
Russian to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OMG :) Nov 28, 2011

ok, I guess we just have to have faith in our computers

...I just had another look, and now the videos are there. IT - don't mess with it, don't try to understand it.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Rather long survey Nov 29, 2011

You should warn participants that it takes at least half an hour to complete.

About 10 years ago in Britain they did a large international survey on jokes. Germans turned out to have the best sense of humour, because they understand also foreign jokes. Canadians did not even understand British jokes.

Good luck with your undertaking!

Alessandro Amarossi
Poland
Russian to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually, I did! :) Nov 29, 2011

If you read my first message, I said

"It is FUN, and it will not take more than 35 minutes."

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!!!!!!!!!!!

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

You should warn participants that it takes at least half an hour to complete.

About 10 years ago in Britain they did a large international survey on jokes. Germans turned out to have the best sense of humour, because they understand also foreign jokes. Canadians did not even understand British jokes.

Good luck with your undertaking!

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:54
French to English
+ ...
Problem Nov 30, 2011

Hi Alessandro, I was in the middle of doing it and when I clicked to watch film 4 my screen went to another window and a gambling window opened next to the survey window. The same thing happened at film 7. Just wonder if that's happened to anyone else.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scientific Research on Cinema, Humour and Ethnicity in 4 Countries! I Need U! :)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »