Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2011

Just a short note to say Happy Translator's Day to all!

Happy Translator's Day!
Feliz Dia do Tradutor!
Felíz Día del Traductor!
Felice Giorno dei Traduttori!
Joyeux Jour des Traducteurs!
Glückliche Tag von Übersetzer!
Счастливый День переводчика!
Srečno prevajalca dan!
Diwrnod Hapus Cyfieithydd o!
Ημέρα ευτυχής μεταφραστή!

(Thanks Google Translate for supplying the
... See more
Just a short note to say Happy Translator's Day to all!

Happy Translator's Day!
Feliz Dia do Tradutor!
Felíz Día del Traductor!
Felice Giorno dei Traduttori!
Joyeux Jour des Traducteurs!
Glückliche Tag von Übersetzer!
Счастливый День переводчика!
Srečno prevajalca dan!
Diwrnod Hapus Cyfieithydd o!
Ημέρα ευτυχής μεταφραστή!

(Thanks Google Translate for supplying the last five - German, Russian, Slovenian, Welsh and Greek)
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:33
English to Thai
+ ...
็Happy day Sep 30, 2011

Today is the most meaningful day in my profession. Expect all acknowledgement.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:33
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not just today... Sep 30, 2011

In the orthodox religion, the feast of St. Jerome, patron saint of translators, is celibrated on June 15th. So we are in fact doubly blessed.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:33
Member (2008)
Italian to English
See here Sep 30, 2011

We have a special Jerome thread here:

http://www.proz.com/post/1814417#1814417

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents Sep 30, 2011

Hi Paul,

Thanks for starting this thread! This is what I had prepared for this special day.

I'd like invite all our colleagues to post the message in their language as well!

¡Feliz día del traductor! (Spanish)

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Comment Sep 30, 2011

Dear Romina,

I liked your post - but just one thing, why is Spanish there twice? We have "Bon dia del traductor" and then "Feliz día del traductor". Maybe one is European Spanish and the other South American Spanish?

Please check my multilingual awareness - as I see it, the languages are (left side) German, Croatian, Spanish, Finnish and Arabic, (right) English, Portuguese, Spanish and Slovenian. Never heard of the last one.

PAUL

lindaellen (X)
lindaellen (X)

Dear Paul Sep 30, 2011

The last language is bird-squeek, the mother tongue of the blue bird of happiness (who just pooped on your finished translation).

Best wishes

lindaellen

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
twitterese? Sep 30, 2011

@Paul, the last line in Romina's picture gives the Twitter "hashtags" for translation. In the first one, #xl8, if you see the x as "trans" and read the rest out phonetically, you get the message. In the other one, #t9n, there are 9 letters between the t and n in translation, so you have to interpret it as t(plus 9 letters)n.
The hash symbol # is used on Twitter to tag messages. For example, in my Twitter reader I have a column which searches for messages containing the tag #xl8, and this a
... See more
@Paul, the last line in Romina's picture gives the Twitter "hashtags" for translation. In the first one, #xl8, if you see the x as "trans" and read the rest out phonetically, you get the message. In the other one, #t9n, there are 9 letters between the t and n in translation, so you have to interpret it as t(plus 9 letters)n.
The hash symbol # is used on Twitter to tag messages. For example, in my Twitter reader I have a column which searches for messages containing the tag #xl8, and this acts like a subject filter, so that I see all messages with this tag (but not the thousands of other messages that pass through Twitter every minute).

On another point, you and Romina gave an opportunity to compare Google Translate with human translation. In the German version, Romina's human translation is far better. Google is sometimes better than that - it seems you caught it on a bad hair day.
Collapse

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
One is Catalan Sep 30, 2011

Paul Dixon wrote:

Dear Romina,

I liked your post - but just one thing, why is Spanish there twice? We have "Bon dia del traductor" and then "Feliz día del traductor". Maybe one is European Spanish and the other South American Spanish?

PAUL

No, "Bon dia del traductor" is Catalan. A colleague of mine provided the translation.

Romina

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly, Victor! Sep 30, 2011

Hi Victor,

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

The hash symbol # is used on Twitter to tag messages. For example, in my Twitter reader I have a column which searches for messages containing the tag #xl8, and this acts like a subject filter, so that I see all messages with this tag (but not the thousands of other messages that pass through Twitter every minute).

Wow! You are very knowledgeable about Twitter stuff. Great job.

Romina

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bon día Sep 30, 2011

Paul Dixon wrote:

Dear Romina,

Please check my multilingual awareness - as I see it, the languages are (left side) German, Croatian, Spanish, Finnish and Arabic, (right) English, Portuguese, Spanish and Slovenian. Never heard of the last one.

PAUL

Bon dia is Catalan, or Valenciano as people like to call it in my neck of the woods (Valencia, Spain). There is an ongoing Castilian vs Catalan polemic about education in Catalonia, fuelled even more today since the Catalan President said in Parliament that some Spanish speakers in Andalucia or Galicia are quite hard to understand for other Spanish speakers (which is true, but not a popular assertion in the communities concerned).

mari pet
mari pet  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Slovak
+ ...
Czech, not Slovenian Sep 30, 2011

The penultimate in the right column is Czech, not slovenian. Just to be correct.

Happy Xl8or´s Day

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 1, 2011

To Maripet: Thanks for correcting me. Now I have learnt my first phrase in Czech!

In exchange, in Portuguese: Feliz Dia do Tradutor (that's fur-LEEZE DEE-ah do trad-oo-TAW) - it's still Translator's Day here in Brazil.

PAUL

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Happy Translator's Day!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »