Thread poster: Amy Duncan (X)
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:54
Thank you, Nicole! Jul 23, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Andrew Swift wrote:

I have never seen such a comprehensive demolition job anywhere on this site before. Thank you very much, Nicole, for taking so much time and trouble to show up the sheer folly of these commentators.

It was fun.

Glad you shared your compulsion and enjoyment, all the same.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:54
English to Polish
+ ...
Nicole Jul 25, 2011

Yours was a much needed post.

As far as the BCC website goes: to collect people's stupid ramblings is one thing, to publish them is another.

[Edited at 2011-07-25 08:02 GMT]

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
as we often say Jul 31, 2011

Divided by a common language

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 18:54
Japanese to English
Fortnight: too British, too old-fashioned... Aug 3, 2011

neilmac wrote:

Roy Williams wrote:
Most of us don't even know how long a fortnight really is and to be honest, it kinda' grates the ears (of US english speakrs).

I was really surprised when I found out that "fortnight" isn't common currency in USA.

Right, "fortnight" may have been used in colonial times, i.e. before American English developed, but it has fallen out of use since then...I have to say I do not miss the word! It sounds too British, and too old-fashioned...

Here is an interesting note I found about the origin of the word:
Hadrian's Wall, built to guard the Romans northern England border against the marauding Scots, had forts situated at regular intervals along its length. Every two weeks the soldiers got to sleep inside them and this is where our term for two weeks, ‘Fortnight’ comes from.

Source: http://www.backroadstouring.co.uk/phraseorigins.php

MGrant

Aleksandar Gasic
Aleksandar Gasic
Montenegro
Local time: 11:54
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
whatever... Sep 1, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

50. "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" has to be the worst. Opposite meaning of what they're trying to say. Jonathan, Birmingham

Good catch, Jonathan! "Could care less" is wrong. You won't hear this gem by a US native speaker.

Oh, yes you will!!!

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 05:54
Member (2011)
English to German
Americanisms Sep 2, 2011

Nesrin wrote:

It does seem that much of what people perceive as Americanisms aren't really what they are, or are simply alternative usages with slightly different meanings.

Hello Nesrin,

What a nice name you have. Although, your name doesn't sound like a typical UK name, hm? What kind of UKisms do people normally perceive, when they hear your name?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Marina

http://www.marina-steinbach.com

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Fortnight to do with forts? I doubt it. Sep 2, 2011

I think the more obvious explanation that it is short for "fourteen nights" must be correct. In sixteenth century literature, you will also find the word "sennight" used to mean a week (seven nights). But this has now gone out of use completely on both sides of the pond.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:54
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Why apply double standards? Sep 2, 2011

Aleksandar Gasic wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

50. "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" has to be the worst. Opposite meaning of what they're trying to say. Jonathan, Birmingham

Good catch, Jonathan! "Could care less" is wrong. You won't hear this gem by a US native speaker.

Oh, yes you will!!!

Of course you will hear or read this one at times. Either as a typo or uttered by an educationally less privileged person. This doesn't make it an Americanism.

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Fornight: etymology Sep 2, 2011

Jack Doughty wrote:

I think the more obvious explanation that it is short for "fourteen nights" must be correct. In sixteenth century literature, you will also find the word "sennight" used to mean a week (seven nights). But this has now gone out of use completely on both sides of the pond.

fortnight
17c. contraction of M.E. fourteniht, from O.E. feowertyne niht, lit. "fourteen nights," preserving the ancient Germanic custom of reckoning by nights, mentioned by Tacitus in "Germania" xi. Related: Fortnightly.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=fortnight

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Offended by the wrong thing Sep 2, 2011

I think the US > UK differences in language are always exaggerated. The differences are marginal, and rarely encroach onto mutual intelligibility.

As for the list, everybody has their own opinions about "good", "bad, or "ugly" usage of language. I wouldn't go as far as to call these people "idiots". I would challenge anyone on here who claims not to have a "pet peeve" with a word or phrase in English or their own language.

Therefore the list doesn't offend me in the sl
... See more
I think the US > UK differences in language are always exaggerated. The differences are marginal, and rarely encroach onto mutual intelligibility.

As for the list, everybody has their own opinions about "good", "bad, or "ugly" usage of language. I wouldn't go as far as to call these people "idiots". I would challenge anyone on here who claims not to have a "pet peeve" with a word or phrase in English or their own language.

Therefore the list doesn't offend me in the slightest. What does offend me is translation job advertisements asking for "US English ONLY". I'm sure they have their reasons, but it assumes English speakers of UK/Canada/Australia/New Zealand..." have no experience or access to US English, which is a fallacy.
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I finally found the time to look into this thread Sep 4, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I finally found the time to read the entire list. Unfortunately, ignorance seems to be widely spread.

1. When people ask for something, I often hear: "Can I get a..." It infuriates me. It's not New York. It's not the 90s. You're not in Central Perk with the rest of the Friends. Really." Steve, Rossendale, Lancashire

It's "Central Park", not "perk". Also: "friends", not "Friends". It helps to master your own language before you criticize foreign ones.

Eeer.... no! Actually, Steve was talking about "Central Perk" and "Friends", not Central Park and friends.

[Edited at 2011-09-04 15:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-09-04 15:33 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Apparently you didn't read the entire thread... Sep 4, 2011

juvera wrote:
Eeer.... no! Actually, Steve was talking about "Central Perk" and "Friends", not Central Park and friends.

Because Nesrin already stated on July 23rd that this phrase refers to a US TV series.

Nesrin wrote

Just had to, as a "Friends" aficionada, let you know that the coffee shop where the friends regularly meet is indeed called "Central Perk"

Greetings!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Another one I hate Sep 4, 2011

Here's an Americanism I hate:

"Momentarily".

Yes, we translators know what that means, but a lot of Americans think it means something else.

[Edited at 2011-09-04 22:46 GMT]

culture difference Sep 5, 2011

There always exists culture difference, we should accept it and tolerate.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks, Mona! Sep 5, 2011

Mona99 wrote:

There always exists culture difference, we should accept it and tolerate.

I am amazed that the word "hate" made its way into this thread.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

British offended by Americanisms

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »