Noni

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
Wow Jul 17, 2011

That site is SUCH a great idea! I'll encourage my family to contribute to the map of Egypt. Thanks Noni

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:15
English to German
+ ...
But... Jul 17, 2011

Hm probably great idea but let's see whether of how it will grow.
See: http://www.historypin.com/photos/search/#/geo:52.517,13.4/zoom:7/date_from:1840-01-01/date_to:2001-12-31/marker:2869004/

17 photos so far. If I go - right now - just out of my door, I will land on the flee market, it's just aroun
... See more
Hm probably great idea but let's see whether of how it will grow.
See: http://www.historypin.com/photos/search/#/geo:52.517,13.4/zoom:7/date_from:1840-01-01/date_to:2001-12-31/marker:2869004/

17 photos so far. If I go - right now - just out of my door, I will land on the flee market, it's just around the corner here. Every Sunday, so right now I will land there when I leave my place. Among private stands, there are also stands of photographers, they have boxes of them, full boxes. Btw., it's the photographers themselves selling them. So you have: a) more of them to view (quite quite more, compared to those 17 photos...) - and b) you can have a nice talk with the person who made the photo in let's say 1960 or 1970...

And you can pin something, if you like that, right on your wall or refridgerator. Nice ones, sharp, excellent contrast, perfect analogue camera roll print. Sure, it's some EUR, but you don't have to turn your printer on for a poor quality print from a webpage.

(Don't take that one seriously, it was just a mini-post call for analougue photography experience. Sure, for a worldwide map of historical pics definitely a nice idea.)

[Edited at 2011-07-17 09:57 GMT]
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
Soon.. Jul 17, 2011

The global edition of the site was only launched last week, 11 July. I expect it will have more than 17 photos of your town very soon!
Actually, I won't be surprised if it's soon acquired by Google for a gazillion dollars and developed into another one of those megasites everyone's on.

Claudia Luque Bedregal
Claudia Luque Bedregal  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nice! Jul 18, 2011

I agree with Noni and Nesrin, it's a fascinating site (I should've started working like an hour ago) and a great idea!
Thanks for sharing! Now I can travel to all those places (and also travel in time) in just a click
Have a good week!
Claudia

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Apparently there is already a partnership with Google... Jul 19, 2011

Nesrin wrote:

Actually, I won't be surprised if it's soon acquired by Google for a gazillion dollars and developed into another one of those megasites everyone's on.

It says near the bottom of the home page...

[Edited at 2011-07-19 15:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yet another fascinating website to get distracted by

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »