Thread poster: Lukasz Andrzejewski
Lukasz Andrzejewski
Lukasz Andrzejewski
Local time: 16:56
English to Polish
+ ...
Jun 20, 2011

Dear All,

Having taken the first part of the DPSI exam (consecutive, simultaneous and sight translation) I wanted to share my impressions with you.

Just for the record, I am taking the exam in London, the module is English Law and the pair of languages is Polish/English.

First of all, the most dreaded part - the simultaneous interpreting - turned out to be manageable: both the Polish and the English interlocutors spoke at a slower than natural, even slow
... See more
Dear All,

Having taken the first part of the DPSI exam (consecutive, simultaneous and sight translation) I wanted to share my impressions with you.

Just for the record, I am taking the exam in London, the module is English Law and the pair of languages is Polish/English.

First of all, the most dreaded part - the simultaneous interpreting - turned out to be manageable: both the Polish and the English interlocutors spoke at a slower than natural, even slow natural, pace. This was a positive surprise for me. Also, at some stage, the English interlocutor read from my face, after I interpreted, that I hadn't translated all I was supposed to, and he asked me whether I wanted it to be repeated, to which I gladly consented.

Overall, the exam in my eyes must be labelled as manageable in terms of speech delivery and conducted in a supportive manner.

As regards preparation to the examination, I joined the Northampton University DPSI distance course, which turned out to be an absolute disaster, teaching nothing; so much so that I decided to discontinue to make use of it.

From the perspective of time, my advice would be to focus on practice, especially of simultaneous interpreting. It does seem to me that if one is able to do that, one shouldn't have problems interpreting consecutively, let alone dealing with sight translation.

I wouldn't devote so much time second time round to the preparation of the general glossary. The fact that the topics of role-plays are published two weeks before the exam allows one to prepare relevant glossaries, and having already practised interpreting at this stage excessively, one can get ready with the more helpull glossaries. It did work out well in my case, but I should've practised more interpreting ahead of the exam, I'm sure.

Hope it all helps a bit.

Lucas
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DPSI 2011

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »