Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jun 10, 2011

I wonder if anyone of you has ever used the sleeper train from London Paddington to the Cornwall beach (St Ives). I'm going to spend a week in St. Ives in September and the night train would fit us well. But is it comfortable? Does it have compartments for 2 persons or separate sections for men and women?

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=1555
<
... See more
I wonder if anyone of you has ever used the sleeper train from London Paddington to the Cornwall beach (St Ives). I'm going to spend a week in St. Ives in September and the night train would fit us well. But is it comfortable? Does it have compartments for 2 persons or separate sections for men and women?

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=1555

Thanks for any information.
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2011-06-10 11:56 GMT]
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:56
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
The sleeper to PZ Jun 10, 2011

Hello Heinrich,
Delighted to hear you're planning a visit to West Cornwall. I live in Penzance (about 10 miles from St Ives). In the past, I used to take the sleeper to and from London quite often. It was comfortable and efficient back then, but I haven't taken it recently. Yes, they have double accommodation (bunk beds, one on top of the other) and, as far as I know they don't separate the sexes. I don't think there's any food on the train - you'd need to find out about that.
For St
... See more
Hello Heinrich,
Delighted to hear you're planning a visit to West Cornwall. I live in Penzance (about 10 miles from St Ives). In the past, I used to take the sleeper to and from London quite often. It was comfortable and efficient back then, but I haven't taken it recently. Yes, they have double accommodation (bunk beds, one on top of the other) and, as far as I know they don't separate the sexes. I don't think there's any food on the train - you'd need to find out about that.
For St Ives, you'd get off the train at St Erth and change on to the branch line to St Ives which runs along the coast with superb views of St Ives Bay and Godrevy lighthouse - the one Virginia Wolf wrote about in "To the Lighthouse".
Have a good trip!
Jenny
Collapse

NKW (X)
NKW (X)
French to English
+ ...
The Night Riviera [FGW] Jun 10, 2011

To the best of my knowledge, there are single- (first class) and two-berth compartments in sleeping-cars operated on the UK network. I do not believe that First Great Western operate any form of gender segregation (or guardianship of public morals!) on the Night Riviera! If you get bored, you can measure the performance of the Class 47 locomotive booked to haul the train!

Alight at St. Erth (arr. 08:42) for the connection to St. Ives (arr. 09:19). The Night Riviera conveys limited r
... See more
To the best of my knowledge, there are single- (first class) and two-berth compartments in sleeping-cars operated on the UK network. I do not believe that First Great Western operate any form of gender segregation (or guardianship of public morals!) on the Night Riviera! If you get bored, you can measure the performance of the Class 47 locomotive booked to haul the train!

Alight at St. Erth (arr. 08:42) for the connection to St. Ives (arr. 09:19). The Night Riviera conveys limited refreshment facilities.

Bon voyage and bon séjour!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both! Jun 10, 2011

Actually it was The Lighthouse that put the idea into my head last year. Its my wife's favourite novel. We are going to rent bicycles and might even have a look at Penzance and other locations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From Paddington to Cornwall

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »