Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
Off topic: The ultimate battle: electronic text reading devices vs books!
Thread poster: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:14
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A reasonable moment May 10, 2011

Valeria Sciarrillo wrote:
Well, you definitely made me think back on ebooks, and you *might* even make me stop keeping records and accounts and notes and recipes on my PC, and learn to do that on paper.
Not sure I'll actually end up using paper (I only start up a paper file if I have a clear, detailed layout in mind), but I will at least feel guilty as long as I don't give Excel up

For a moment I will forget that this is a battle and will be reasonable: I admit that electronic books and related devices might have their advantages, but should probably complement the world of books on paper and not the opposite. Maybe you can read a book in electronic format and then, if you really liked it, you want to order it on paper for you or as a present. I don't know. Uses and mindsets can be so varied!

**** End of the reasonable moment ****

AAAARRRHHHHHHH!!!!! Keep coming, you "electronisters"!!!!

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:14
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I use both May 10, 2011

I have around 950 paper books and 700 (current) e-books on my Kindle DX (9.7 inch screen that supports pdf files). I donated a lot of my paper books when I got the electronic version. Unfortunately replacing all of my books would be too expensive.

Almost ever book is now available in electronic format (pdf, epub, mobi, etc.).

I think the CD and the DVD are doomed (to be replaced by digital copies only), but paper books will still be around for a long time because unlike
... See more
I have around 950 paper books and 700 (current) e-books on my Kindle DX (9.7 inch screen that supports pdf files). I donated a lot of my paper books when I got the electronic version. Unfortunately replacing all of my books would be too expensive.

Almost ever book is now available in electronic format (pdf, epub, mobi, etc.).

I think the CD and the DVD are doomed (to be replaced by digital copies only), but paper books will still be around for a long time because unlike music CDs and DVDs, they do not require an electronic device to use.

However, just like you get used to replacing your music collection with digital files for your MP3 player/iPOD/iTunes, you soon get used to having digital books.

The idea of "owning" books, music and movies will probably change in the future and we will merely purchase the "right to use" digital copies. What books are available will be printed on an on-demand basis like Lulu and Amazon currently do with self-published materials, rather than printing stacks of books that may not be sold. The modern bookstore will be replaced by a printing and vending machine kiosk (a la Redbox).

[Edited at 2011-05-10 21:13 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The ultimate battle: electronic text reading devices vs books!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »