Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Off topic: The ultimate battle: electronic text reading devices vs books!
Thread poster: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:40
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with Marjolein May 9, 2011

I love my books and I still buy paper books but I love my kindle for traveling, the doctor's waiting room, etc. because it is lightweight and fits in almost any purse. I like the price, the advantage of receiving a book wherever you are within minutes, and the option of reading a sample of the book before ordering. No need for bookmarks because the kindle automatically takes you back to where you left off but if you want to re-read a portion, you can do that too. There is room in my life for bot... See more
I love my books and I still buy paper books but I love my kindle for traveling, the doctor's waiting room, etc. because it is lightweight and fits in almost any purse. I like the price, the advantage of receiving a book wherever you are within minutes, and the option of reading a sample of the book before ordering. No need for bookmarks because the kindle automatically takes you back to where you left off but if you want to re-read a portion, you can do that too. There is room in my life for both paper and electronic books, each enjoyable at different times and for different reasons.

P.S. I loved the cat!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:40
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Papermaking creates forests May 9, 2011

Fernando Toledo wrote:
And how many "trees" have you read in your life?

Not that many. Almost all the pulp consumed by papermaking comes from stands that were planted for the purpose of making pulp and that would not exist otherwise. There where a new pulp plant is created, the mountains around the place are planted with 10 times the trees consumed each year (trees usually grow to an age of 10-12 years, and are then harvested). I prefer to see forests, even if planted, than seeing just grass and cows around.

I am not saying that paper is a product that improves the environment (no human product improves the environment anyway), but at least it creates more forests.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A battle is a battle!! May 9, 2011

Marjolein Verhulsdonck-Roest wrote:
I fail to see the point of this 'battle'. Why not enjoy the boons of both?

I can't be reasonable Marjolein. This is a battle!!!! AAAAAARRRRRRRRRHHHHH!!

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:40
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Re: dictionaries May 9, 2011

telefpro wrote:

I am thinking of buying an E- book reader. I wonder if I can load my technical and legal dictionaries which are in PDF format? Apparently , it looks plausible, but can anyone confirm?
Telefpro

Sure you can, for example Kindle allows you to process pdf files. Besides you can convert them to mobi format - for example using free tool Calibre - it makes them much lighter and easier to use.

Than you can search them all at once from the homepage.

Cheers
S

Ashley Wans
Ashley Wans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feasability of foreign language downloads May 9, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Michele Fauble wrote:
For me the greatest advantage of an "electronic text reading device" is the ability to purchase and download the books that I want in languages other than English.
Except that I can't.
So I haven't purchased an e-reader.

Exactly!

On my Kindle (I'm based in the US), I've downloaded multiple novels in Spanish for very reasonable prices. While I Barnes and Nobles and other large bookstores in my area are starting to include Spanish language sections, they have a very limited selection and the prices are frequently high. So for me, the Kindle has greatly expanded my ability to read literature in a non-English language.

I have no idea as to the availability of other languages for Kindle download, though. I don't even know if the Kindle can display anything other than Roman script.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Many languages available May 9, 2011

While there are few books in Polish available for purchase at Amazon, there are thousands of books with expired copyrights. For example you can read on Kindle (and other devices) all books from project Gutenberg - i.e. enough books to keep one occupied for more than just one lifetime.

Amazon offers plenty of books available in major languages like German, French, Spanish, etc.

I'm currently practising my German trying to read Karol May's Winetou (love of my childhood) t
... See more
While there are few books in Polish available for purchase at Amazon, there are thousands of books with expired copyrights. For example you can read on Kindle (and other devices) all books from project Gutenberg - i.e. enough books to keep one occupied for more than just one lifetime.

Amazon offers plenty of books available in major languages like German, French, Spanish, etc.

I'm currently practising my German trying to read Karol May's Winetou (love of my childhood) this time in original though.

[Edited at 2011-05-09 09:24 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just curiosity May 9, 2011

Ashley Wans wrote:
On my Kindle (I'm based in the US), I've downloaded multiple novels in Spanish for very reasonable prices. While I Barnes and Nobles and other large bookstores in my area are starting to include Spanish language sections, they have a very limited selection and the prices are frequently high. So for me, the Kindle has greatly expanded my ability to read literature in a non-English language.

I am asking this in good faith: how fast would you say has the market has evolved along time in number of titles available?

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
I like the idea of an e-reader, but... May 9, 2011

It's a great idea in terms of taking enough reading material with you when you travel or to have your whole library in your back pocket, but I love my physical books and have a fairly large library and often re-read my favourites.

In practical terms, I can imagine it being very expensive to acquire e-versions of my books, because after investing in a kindle or whatever, are you really going to want to carry it and half a dozen paperbacks? It's not like CDs, where you can rip
... See more
It's a great idea in terms of taking enough reading material with you when you travel or to have your whole library in your back pocket, but I love my physical books and have a fairly large library and often re-read my favourites.

In practical terms, I can imagine it being very expensive to acquire e-versions of my books, because after investing in a kindle or whatever, are you really going to want to carry it and half a dozen paperbacks? It's not like CDs, where you can rip your collection to an MP3 player. Perhaps if you got a free e-copy with every physical book bought I'd be more inclined towards them.

I also enjoy browsing bookshops, picking out books because the cover illustrations look interesting, or checking out new authors. Don't get me wrong, suppliers like Amazon are great if you know what you're looking for, but it's not so easy to pick out a book at random, scan through it and either select or discard it. That's how I discovered some of my favourites and I don't think an electronic bookstore will ever be able to duplicate that reliably.

On top of all that, I spend most of my time working with electronic media and staring at screens from dawn to dusk, so using an e-reader would be too much of a reminder of work. I enjoy relaxing with a good book, and no e-reader will ever be able to duplicate the sensory pleasure of reading a physical paper book. Oh, and the battery in your book doesn't go flat at the crucial point in the story.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Poor, poor arguments... May 9, 2011

Ashley Wans wrote:

I am asking this in good faith: how fast would you say has the market has evolved along time in number of titles available?

What you want to say? If the process is slow is not good? Will one day the format "digital reading" disappear and everything will be back to paper format?

How long needed Video cassettes to disappear?

I wish also every dictionary would have a digital version (my expensive Slaby dictionary is now just a brick on the wall). Still not the fact, but time is not a argument against digital. Fact is a electronic dictionary is superior to the format "a lot o f pages put together".

Please dont mix "life style" "education" with this battle between 2 formats.

Books in a lot of languages are available in the net, if there is not a official version, be sure some reader communities will make a version, till the "slow" editors understand the need of a digital version.

If you live in a country, let me say, with difficulties, you still have access to a lot of books (I hope). Not everyone can go to a chic library and drink a latte maciatto and wast/enjoy the time looking for "surprises" ...

A kindle is now 140 $ (thanks to the iPad cause they see the enormous competence now and have to sell it much more cheaper) Just a small classic collection is this money worth

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
??? May 9, 2011

Fernando Toledo wrote:
Ashley Wans wrote:

What you want to say? If the process is slow is not good? Will one day the format "digital reading" disappear and everything will be back to paper format?

Fernando, I was only asking out of curiosity! No hidden agenda in my question!

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
It is physical May 9, 2011

kmtext wrote:

I spend most of my time working with electronic media and staring at screens from dawn to dusk, so using an e-reader would be too much of a reminder of work. I enjoy relaxing with a good book, and no e-reader will ever be able to duplicate the sensory pleasure of reading a physical paper book. Oh, and the battery in your book doesn't go flat at the crucial point in the story.

A E-Ink reader is a physical device, is like paper, Does not emit light, you see nothing in the dark, you have not bad "angles" of vision or things like that it is not a emiting display. Just a reflective surface like... paper

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Priorities May 9, 2011

Fernando Toledo wrote:
If you live in a country, let me say, with difficulties, you still have access to a lot of books (I hope). Not everyone can go to a chic library and drink a latte maciatto and wast/enjoy the time looking for "surprises"...

I don't agree at all. If you go to the homes low-income families today in Spain, you will find two or three TV sets, very often TV sets in the children's rooms, one or several Nintendo DS, a PlayStation, mobile phones for everyone (very expensive ones sometimes), MP3 players, etc. etc.

How much money do all these devices cost... and yet, they protest against having to pay for their children's school books!

The argument that people are short of money does not apply here. It is just that people have strange priorities!

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Very few ebook users will stop reading paper books May 9, 2011

I think that we cannot assume that if someone uses ebook reader like kindle than he or she will stop using/buying paper book altogether. To me it's just about increasing my options.

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
No excuses!!! May 9, 2011

[quote]Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

[quote]Fernando Toledo wrote:
Ashley Wans wrote:
On my Kindle (I'm based in the US), I've downloaded ...

Fernando, I was only asking out of curiosity! No hidden agenda in my question!

War time. It is martial law

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
With difficulties May 9, 2011

[quote]Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:
If you live in a country, let me say, with difficulties...

The argument that people are short of money does not apply here. It is just that people have strange priorities!

I mean political nature...

And yes, school books are too expensive (big business, lobbies).

Be sure, one day...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The ultimate battle: electronic text reading devices vs books!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »