Chile
Local time: 09:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 20, 2011

TOP TEN MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT TRANSLATION

10. Anybody with two years of high school language (or a foreign-tongued

grandmother) can translate.

9. A good translator doesn't need a dictionary.

8. There's no difference between translation and interpretation.

7. Translators don't mind working nights and weekends at no extra charge.

6. Translators don't need to understand what they're translating.

5. A good tran
... See more
TOP TEN MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT TRANSLATION

10. Anybody with two years of high school language (or a foreign-tongued

grandmother) can translate.

9. A good translator doesn't need a dictionary.

8. There's no difference between translation and interpretation.

7. Translators don't mind working nights and weekends at no extra charge.

6. Translators don't need to understand what they're translating.

5. A good translator doesn't need proofing or editing.

4. Becoming a translator is an easy way to get rich quick.

3. Translation is just typing in a foreign language.

2. A translator costs $49.95 at Radio Shack and runs on two 'C' batteries.

... And the #1 misconception about translation and translators:

1. That marketing copy that took a team of 20 people two months to put

together can be translated overnight by one Person and still retain the same

impact as the original.
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
David Apr 21, 2011

Good TOP TEN LIST for David Letterman, except he won't take it because it's meanlingless for his constituency. But it's a good attempt anyway.

Ashley Wans
Ashley Wans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
#11 Apr 21, 2011

11. Any bilingual person already has the skills to become a translator; it has nothing to do with your writing abilities.

I have a bilingual friend with no understanding of what translation or interpreting is about. She wants to take the ATA certification exam so she can show potential future employers she is bilingual (these are not translation-related employers, rather companies that do business internationally). I linked her to the ATA page that states that less than 20% of tr
... See more
11. Any bilingual person already has the skills to become a translator; it has nothing to do with your writing abilities.

I have a bilingual friend with no understanding of what translation or interpreting is about. She wants to take the ATA certification exam so she can show potential future employers she is bilingual (these are not translation-related employers, rather companies that do business internationally). I linked her to the ATA page that states that less than 20% of translators who attempt the test pass the first time. Hopefully this will discourage her from wasting her money without investing in further training first.

A lot of people I know don't seem to understand that your writing skills are an integral part of your skill set as a translator. If you cannot write well in the target language, this will be a serious impediment to your success as a translator.
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 16:49
English to Arabic
+ ...
Wonderful Apr 21, 2011

Wonderful kleiner Kater. Very nice input indeed.

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:49
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
well, Apr 21, 2011

6 and 9 could merge, and then spinoff:

"a good translator doesn't need a monolingual dictionary"

Ivan Rocha, CT
Ivan Rocha, CT
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Misconception # 0 Apr 21, 2011

...that is, if zero was a number, should be:

"computers do most of the translator's work".

ISAAC PRADEL LEAL
ISAAC PRADEL LEAL  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:49
Member (2011)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Globalization means for translation seekers... Apr 21, 2011

That of course anyone in India or China, or "Elbonians" to the matter... God bless Scott Adams... without any reference, published work or whatever... has the appropiate know-how to translate from & into any language known to mankind, including latin & ancian greek, with outstanding quality, for less than 2 cents per word, delivering close to 20.000 words a day... Because before they existed, so-called, self-proclaimed "professionals" in the rest of the world were ripping off their customers... ... See more
That of course anyone in India or China, or "Elbonians" to the matter... God bless Scott Adams... without any reference, published work or whatever... has the appropiate know-how to translate from & into any language known to mankind, including latin & ancian greek, with outstanding quality, for less than 2 cents per word, delivering close to 20.000 words a day... Because before they existed, so-called, self-proclaimed "professionals" in the rest of the world were ripping off their customers... 'cause they are bastards who want to get rich quick... more stuff like this in my blog : www.kojackadasvarias.blogspot.com ...

[Edited at 2011-04-22 07:29 GMT]
Collapse

Jande
Jande  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:49
Danish to English
+ ...
Could this be the source of the confusion? Apr 29, 2011

If only a word in one language could be directly substituted for a word in another language with exactly the same meaning...

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:49
Chinese to English
Those crafty computers... Apr 29, 2011

Ivan said:

I was doing some quick English>Chinese for an interpreting client the other day. The input system for Chinese that I (and most people) use involves typing the pronunciation of a character, then selecting the right character from a pop-up list (it's quicker than you'd think because the software is smart and guesses which character you want). The client was a non-native English speaker, and
... See more
Ivan said:

I was doing some quick English>Chinese for an interpreting client the other day. The input system for Chinese that I (and most people) use involves typing the pronunciation of a character, then selecting the right character from a pop-up list (it's quicker than you'd think because the software is smart and guesses which character you want). The client was a non-native English speaker, and when he saw that I was typing Roman letters, said, "Oh, the computer's translating automatically for you!"

This is a guy who works in a highly multilingual environment. Surely he would know that computers can't do that? Surely?! But apparently not...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Top ten misconceptions about translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »