Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: British films to recommend for my daughter (17)
Thread poster: Clarisa Moraña
Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:07
French to English
+ ...
? Apr 21, 2011

Debbi Steele wrote:
the King's Speech, although the accents are a bit old-fashioned!

It's set about 85 years ago, though.

[Edited at 2011-04-22 09:27 GMT]

Holly Nathan (X)
Holly Nathan (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:07
Italian to English
goodness Phil! Apr 22, 2011

Phil Hand wrote:

Just telling us that this young woman is 17 doesn't tell us much about who she is and what she likes.
Anyway, two recommendations:
"This is England" - movie by Shane Meadows
"Brideshead Revisited" - TV series based on the novel by Evelyn Waugh

Goodness me Phil, you read my mind. There are millions to choose from! What about the Powell and Pressburger films, "A matter of life and death"? Some teenagers would love it, some would go off and watch a film with Hugh Grant in it just like I did when I was a teenager.
"Kes" is a classic too.
We have some great tv shows too. I think "the mighty boosh" is hysterical, but your English has to be VERY, VERY good to appreciate the humour.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:07
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
For something modern, realistic, and rather unpleasant Apr 22, 2011

Rachel Fell wrote:

Debbi Steele wrote:
the King's Speech, although the accents are a bit old-fashioned!

It's set about 65 years ago, though.

If you wanted to teach your daughter modern accents, the Football Factory is good.

Worryingly, realistic (how did Britain get from Passport to Pimlico to this in fifty years?) - but entertaining all the same in the "don't get involved in this" Trainspotting genre.

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trainspotting. Apr 22, 2011

Just looked back at this thread, and didn't realise that the suggestion would cause any problem.

--

I've spent 10 minutes writing and deleting bits of text, which leads me to write that each person must do what he/she feels is right. I don't want to comment any further.

Happy translating!

Paul.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:07
French to English
+ ...
Was it that? Apr 22, 2011

Paul Adie wrote:

Just looked back at this thread, and didn't realise that the suggestion would cause any problem.

--

I've spent 10 minutes writing and deleting bits of text, which leads me to write that each person must do what he/she feels is right. I don't want to comment any further.

Happy translating!

Paul.

Was it that? Something odd seemed to happen last night and someone else disappeared - we're left in the dark, conjecturing, wondering again whether people can't speak openly - and it doesn't leave a nice feeling.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:07
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just for clarification... Apr 23, 2011

Again, a big thank you. The list is great-

I would like to say that I did not provide any further information about my daughter, because, in my opinion, it was not necessary. In fact, now I believe that even the info about her age unnecessary. I did not want you to give me some film names to a 17 years old lady with special interests. What I needed were just the names of some films you consider represent the culture, the history, the life style of UK . My purpose is that wh
... See more
Again, a big thank you. The list is great-

I would like to say that I did not provide any further information about my daughter, because, in my opinion, it was not necessary. In fact, now I believe that even the info about her age unnecessary. I did not want you to give me some film names to a 17 years old lady with special interests. What I needed were just the names of some films you consider represent the culture, the history, the life style of UK . My purpose is that when she is in England she might be able to understand, to know, to be familiarized with the country she will be visiting. Any foreign country you visit is much more appreciated if you are familiarized with its history and culture. We usually do that in our family (e.g. my mother recently visited Salvador de Bahía, Brazil, and writer Jorge Amado was a must read before she went there, and musician Vinicius de Moraes, or Caetano Veloso or... plenty of names will fit here). Why did I not asked for book names here? Because the masterpieces of English literature will bore her (but trust me, she loves Roald Dahl, and she has read, in Spanish, Romeo and Juliet).

Some comedies, or fun films, mentioned here such as Bridget Jones, 4 weedings and a funeral, Notting Hill, are really fun. But, do they represent a British lifestyle? I'm not quite sure. If you say they are, I will believe you. Is Mr. Bean a film my daughter will enjoy? I'm not quite sure, but certainly Mr. Bean certainly showcases a sort of humour very difficult to understand by us, and that is a great thing: it makes me to think about itm about the film. Is Trainspotting a film she should see? Why not? But does it represent the Scottish culture or it is just a great film masterpiece of a Scottish director? We will use the list, check if some films are shown in TV, and watch them. We can also go to the video club and rent the films we could find there! If we do not find them interesting, no problem at all!

A big thank you!

Regards

Clarisa

[Edited at 2011-04-23 02:57 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

British films to recommend for my daughter (17)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »