ALMERCANA
ALMERCANA  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 11:48
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 17, 2011

Hi,

I am a fun of the Swiss chocolate. I wonder if I can find someone who can help in buying some chocolate in Switzerland..

Nabil

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why Swiss? Apr 17, 2011

The same chocolate is used all over Europe. The raw material comes from Ivory Coast and is distributed to all international buyers by one and the same organisation. Cocoa production uses child slave labour, even though they promised to stop this already in 2006.
Better buy chocolate, that comes South America or generally Fair Trade products. All big makers of chocolate have products from South American origin.

Sorry if I spoilt your appetite!

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Mail Order Apr 17, 2011

I would say it should be possible to order (Swiss) chocolate via postal mail though I do not know of any particular sites.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:48
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Sure! Apr 17, 2011

I fully understand you
Here are some links to order Swiss chocolate online:

http://www.lindt.com/ch/swf/fra/service/lindt-online-shop/

... See more
I fully understand you
Here are some links to order Swiss chocolate online:

http://www.lindt.com/ch/swf/fra/service/lindt-online-shop/

http://www.leshop.ch/leshop/Main.do/direct/de/Supermarkt/-18238/-22312

http://www.swisseshop.ch/schokolade/schokolade.php?gclid=CPiP1dDyo6gCFQMNfAodoGZJdA

Enjoy!
Irene
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:48
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Venezuelan cacao Apr 17, 2011

The best chocolats of the world are made of Venezuelan cacao!

You can take a look at http://www.finedarkchocolate.com/Chocolate/El_Rey/index.asp

(There is also a link to purchase all sort of chocolats but the delivery is to certain regions of the world, I'm not sure if it will work for your country)

Kind regards

Clarisa

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:48
English
+ ...
Really Apr 18, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

The same chocolate is used all over Europe. The raw material comes from Ivory Coast and is distributed to all international buyers by one and the same organisation.

What has the raw material to do with whether you like the final product though? They all taste different. Chocolate made in the UK tastes different than chocolate made in France or Germany, and they all taste different than chocolate made in Swiss. I am not a fan of Swiss chocolate, but most of the time it is true that you can tell it apart.

Fair Trade or not, however, is a totally different thing. But even all Fair Trade chocolates do not taste the same.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Swiss, Venezuela, UK, France, Germany? Apr 18, 2011

What about belgian chocolate?

http://www.godiva.com/welcome.aspx

my favorite is chocolate with liquorice.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Taste Apr 18, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

The same chocolate is used all over Europe. The raw material comes from Ivory Coast and is distributed to all international buyers by one and the same organisation.

What has the raw material to do with whether you like the final product though? They all taste different. Chocolate made in the UK tastes different than chocolate made in France or Germany, and they all taste different than chocolate made in Swiss. I am not a fan of Swiss chocolate, but most of the time it is true that you can tell it apart.

Fair Trade or not, however, is a totally different thing. But even all Fair Trade chocolates do not taste the same.

They all taste different, yes, but how do you think all Swiss made chocolate tastes the same? I know it doesn't.

Only after you perform a test with eyes blindfolded can you be sure you really like some product more than an other.

To me the raw material and production methods matter, not only with food but with all merchandise.

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 07:48
French to English
+ ...
suggestion Apr 18, 2011

I quite like Milka (it's typical Swiss creamy), but right now I can't remember if they are Swiss

Lindt is OK. For something amazing, try:
Droste Pastilles Orange Milk Chocolate (NL)

If you are travelling to Switzerland, my suggestion is to do a search on "chocolatier." Then you could go to the local artisan shops.

But better than all of the above (except for the Droste pastilles) is sim
... See more
I quite like Milka (it's typical Swiss creamy), but right now I can't remember if they are Swiss

If you are travelling to Switzerland, my suggestion is to do a search on "chocolatier." Then you could go to the local artisan shops.

But better than all of the above (except for the Droste pastilles) is simply Nutella.
Collapse

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:48
English
+ ...
me too. still… Apr 18, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

They all taste different, yes, but how do you think all Swiss made chocolate tastes the same? I know it doesn't.

Only after you perform a test with eyes blindfolded can you be sure you really like some product more than an other.

To me the raw material and production methods matter, not only with food but with all merchandise.

They matter to me too. But blindfolding is not really always necessary. Chocolate from certain countries taste so bad (according to my taste) I’ve given up on them a long time ago.

Swiss chocolate don’t taste the same, of course, but most have a certain general feel. The same can be said about chocolate from say Japan. Canadian/American chocolate also have a certain general feel—that I generally dislike.

For the Fair Trade ones, most from the large supermarket chains around here don’t taste particularly good. This is, IMHO, unfortunate.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The best of lindt... in my opinion Apr 18, 2011

veratek wrote:

I agree, but the best of Lindt is no question the Lindt Kirschstengeli.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hm... Apr 18, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
The same chocolate is used all over Europe.

Yes, and the same steel is used in all cars produced in Europe...

veratek
veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
American chocolate is usually quite bad Apr 18, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

American chocolate also have a certain general feel—that I generally dislike.

It's probably the worst kind that I've tasted, especially the big brand bars. They are like chocolate versions of a Macdonalds hamburger. They have a stupid taste, very sugary, with usually too much caramel or weird peanut combinations. Some are OK though (I like KitKat for a snack), but it's never something you think tastes really good.

veratek
veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
fair chocolate Apr 18, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

The same chocolate is used all over Europe. The raw material comes from Ivory Coast and is distributed to all international buyers by one and the same organisation. Cocoa production uses child slave labour, even though they promised to stop this already in 2006.
Better buy chocolate, that comes South America or generally Fair Trade products. All big makers of chocolate have products from South American origin.

Sorry if I spoilt your appetite!

You can increasingly find many such options in supermarket chains in France, which is a good thing.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:48
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Fair Trade Apr 18, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Better buy chocolate, that comes South America or generally Fair Trade products....

Fair Trade only gives a better price to the producer. Not to the people who work on the farm.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Swiss chocolat!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »