Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:07
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Swedish Apr 18, 2011

Am I the only one who likes Swedish Marabou?
Ewa

[Edited at 2011-04-18 14:50 GMT]

Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 05:07
English to Swedish
+ ...
Laima Apr 18, 2011

I vote for Latvian Laima chocolate. Plain milk chocolate is the best!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Taste of sweat Apr 19, 2011

I found a local brand of Fair trade dark chocolate that tastes really better than most brands. But at one time I decided I would feel the taste of children slave's sweat in chocolate products that are not certified. These children are captured from their homes and sold to owners of Ivory coast cocoa plantations for 230 Euro apiece.
And the big producers still did not stop this.
Its sheer willpower that makes me taste it - and pay the extra price.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:07
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ouch. I thought we are talking about real chocolate, not kids' snacks. Apr 19, 2011

veratek wrote:

Ambrose Li wrote:

American chocolate also have a certain general feel—that I generally dislike.

It's probably the worst kind that I've tasted, especially the big brand bars. They are like chocolate versions of a Macdonalds hamburger. They have a stupid taste, very sugary, with usually too much caramel or weird peanut combinations. Some are OK though (I like KitKat for a snack), but it's never something you think tastes really good.

We have some chocolatiers here in the US that will blow your mind. Again - real chocolate for true chocolate connaisseurs and chocolate enthusiasts has absolutely nothing to do with candy bars. You wouldn't try any baby formula either, decide that you don't like and spread the word that all the dairy products from this country suck?

Chocolate lovers would never touch any of those cheap concoctions aimed at little children, no matter what country.

Try Godiva, Ghirardelli, Moonstruck and all the other ones. Enjoy!

BTW, be prepared to pay a bit more for top-quality chocolate than measly 60 cents for a candy bar from the gas station. No matter which country.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:07
English
+ ...
cheaper chocolate in other countries Apr 19, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

We have some chocolatiers here in the US that will blow your mind. Again - real chocolate for true chocolate connaisseurs and chocolate enthusiasts has absolutely nothing to do with candy bars. You wouldn't try any baby formula either, decide that you don't like and spread the word that all the dairy products from this country suck?

Chocolate lovers would never touch any of those cheap concoctions aimed at little children, no matter what country.

BTW, be prepared to pay a bit more for top-quality chocolate than measly 60 cents for a candy bar from the gas station. No matter which country.

That’s certainly true… but…

in other countries (i.e., outside North America), most chocolate bars are not aimed at little children; they are usually proper chocolate, often aimed at adults.

(If we consider only supermarket-quality products, such as Marabou from Sweden or Meiji from Japan, they are still considerably better than the corresponding supermarket-quality products from Canada or the US. That’s why we feel North American chocolate to be so bad and its taste so weird/sugary, because non-connoisseur chocolate in other countries don’t taste like that at all ):

[Edited at 2011-04-19 09:14 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
There is still a difference between industrially manufactured chocolate products and true chocolate Apr 19, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

That’s certainly true… but…

in other countries (i.e., outside North America), most chocolate bars are not aimed at little children; they are usually proper chocolate, often aimed at adults.

Little children or not, even as youngsters back in Germany we knew that chocolate bars are made from cheap ingredients and even as kids we could distinguish between fine chocolate and snacks, which is as much a challenge to your taste buds and your eyes as telling the difference between a fine loin steak and a hamburger patty.

Ambrose Li
Canada
English
+ ...
steak… Apr 19, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Little children or not, even as youngsters back in Germany we knew that chocolate bars are made from cheap ingredients and even as kids we could distinguish between fine chocolate and snacks, which is as much a challenge to your taste buds and your eyes as telling the difference between a fine loin steak and a hamburger patty.

I don’t pretend to be a connoisseur of any sort, and in fact I would place Godiva roughly on par with Meiji. This can only mean two things: Either my taste buds are very insensitive (which is actually probably quite true), or the gap between connoisseur- and consumer-grade chocolate in some countries can be much smaller than we are used to around here.

(Ingredientwise it’s obviously a completely different question, of course. But if we talk about wholesome ingredients I’d rather go Fair Trade and/or organic than connoisseur…)

An aside: I don’t like steak. So the analogy is kind of moot.

[Edited at 2011-04-19 09:45 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Consumer-grade might be the key word to keep you from buying low-key products Apr 19, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

I don’t pretend to be a connoisseur of any sort, and in fact I would place Godiva roughly on par with Meiji. This can only mean two things: Either my taste buds are very insensitive (which is actually probably quite true), or the gap between connoisseur- and consumer-grade chocolate in some countries can be much smaller than we are used to around here.

(Ingredientwise it’s obviously a completely different question, of course. But if we talk about wholesome ingredients I’d rather go Fair Trade and/or organic than connoisseur…)

Instead of devouring candy bars, try some hand-made truffles. That's the way to judge the true art of chocolaterie.

An aside: I don’t like steak. So the analogy is kind of moot.

Kobe beef, world class wines, diamonds or even good tomatoes - the really good stuff is never produced for the masses.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I can't resist: Cheap chocolate is like cheap translations Apr 19, 2011

At first the purchaser is fully satisfied - "Cooool, so many ounzes for a few cents!" - until he gets sick to his stomach.

Ambrose Li
Canada
English
+ ...
=P Apr 19, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

At first the purchaser is fully satisfied - "Cooool, so many ounzes for a few cents!" - until he gets sick to his stomach.

Actually this is kind of not true. Japanese chocolate is not cheap. Not connoisseur-chocolate expensive. But even if you go for the normal ones you do not get a lot of ounzes and you cannot buy it for just a few cents =P

(I can’t resist either =P)

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Cool! I never tried Japanese chocolate. Apr 19, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Actually this is kind of not true. Japanese chocolate is not cheap. Not connoisseur-chocolate expensive. But even if you go for the normal ones you do not get a lot of ounzes and you cannot buy it for just a few cents =P

(I can’t resist either =P)

I will look around where it is available. To be honest, the few Swiss brands that I tried were a bit too sweet for my taste. The most outstanding high-end chocolates neither need nor use tons of sugar, which is why they don't target the kiddie market.

I never go for the "normal ones". I am lactose intolerant. Any rare delight is well-chosen. Sorry, but I can not stuff my face with "normal".

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 23:07
French to English
+ ...
US vs Europe Apr 20, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

veratek wrote:

Ambrose Li wrote:

American chocolate also have a certain general feel—that I generally dislike.

It's probably the worst kind that I've tasted, especially the big brand bars. They are like chocolate versions of a Macdonalds hamburger. They have a stupid taste, very sugary, with usually too much caramel or weird peanut combinations. Some are OK though (I like KitKat for a snack), but it's never something you think tastes really good.

Actually we quite disagree on this. The great bulk of American population (and this goes for all ages) consumes an enormous quantity of tasteless, crappy chocolate and awful candy bars--and they think it tastes good. This is not an issue of "little kids," but one related to entrenched food culture. These regular candy bars are marketed to all age ranges in the US, not just to little ones.

I've tried Godiva and don't find it special, Ghirardelli, I can't remember (if it were that good, I would remember), never heard of Moonstruck. But I am sure there would be some artisan chocolatier that I would find very good somewhere.

My point, though, is if you walk into European supermarkets and forget about the same American candy bars also on sale here, and look for the Euro ones, there is a marked difference in taste quality. Milka is no expensive, exclusive brand, neither is Ritters, but they are good. Cadbury's is nice. Nestlé, while less good, is OK.

Here in France, for kids, they have something quite equivalent to the crappy American candy bars, which are these colorful, weird-shaped non-chocolate treats, made with all kinds of gooey, marshmallowy-but-not-true-marshmallow, horrible, sugary and licorice junk. Every color imaginable has been used to provide you with an unforgettably horrible taste experience.

It is a lot worse than Hersheys, if that could ever be possible.

Ambrose Li
Canada
English
+ ...
food culture Apr 20, 2011

veratek wrote:

Actually we quite disagree on this. The great bulk of American population (and this goes for all ages) consumes an enormous quantity of tasteless, crappy chocolate and awful candy bars--and they think it tastes good. This is not an issue of "little kids," but one related to entrenched food culture. These regular candy bars are marketed to all age ranges in the US, not just to little ones.

I've tried Godiva and don't find it special, Ghirardelli, I can't remember (if it were that good, I would remember), never heard of Moonstruck. But I am sure there would be some artisan chocolatier that I would find very good somewhere.

My point, though, is if you walk into European supermarkets and forget about the same American candy bars also on sale here, and look for the Euro ones, there is a marked difference in taste quality. Milka is no expensive, exclusive brand, neither is Ritters, but they are good. Cadbury's is nice. Nestlé, while less good, is OK.

Here in France, for kids, they have something quite equivalent to the crappy American candy bars, which are these colorful, weird-shaped non-chocolate treats, made with all kinds of gooey, marshmallowy-but-not-true-marshmallow, horrible, sugary and licorice junk. Every color imaginable has been used to provide you with an unforgettably horrible taste experience.

It is a lot worse than Hersheys, if that could ever be possible.

Yes, I agree. I am not too impressed by Godiva either. I might not have a connoisseur’s tastes buds, but even assuming that it is better (and I can’t tell the difference) I’m not finding a big gap between it and typical European/Japanese chocolate.

And it’s not just candy bars. There are things here marketed as “higher” end boxed treats (suitable for gifts) but in actuality taste just like the candy bars.

I once read that the big chocolate manufacturers tailor their chocolates according to the taste of each country. So Nestlé in Europe would taste different from Nestlé in North America. This is so true. When a brand you like (whether European or Asian) sets up a local factory here you’d think it’s great, but it’s not; they would change the taste of the chocolate to conform to “North American food culture”.

There’s a joke we used to say when we first moved to Canada. As kids we’d pick up a chocolate bar from the supermarket and say, “Look, it says candy. That’s because it’s not chocolate.” I’d say even little kids can tell the difference.

[Edited at 2011-04-20 12:53 GMT]

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
The chocolate connoisseur Apr 20, 2011

http://chocolatedocumentary.com/the-film/characters/chloe/

Jehanne Henin
Jehanne Henin  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 04:07
English to French
+ ...
Just a reminder Apr 21, 2011

Can I remind you that Godiva is a Belgian company?

Leonidas, Neuhaus, Galler or Côte d'Or are other famous Belgian chocolate-makers, but there are plenty of them.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Swiss chocolat!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »