Thread poster: Stéphanie Denton (X)
Stéphanie Denton (X)
Stéphanie Denton (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:59
French to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2011

Just wondering if anyone else has something specific that they like to eat/drink whilst translating?

My fuel is coca-cola. I know, I know, my teeth will rot. But I can't drink coffee - can't stand the stuff - and am determined not to sit and munch my way through a pack of chocolate digestives or a bar of fruit and nut!

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Occasionally... Apr 8, 2011

I like a packet of these, which I discovered fairly recently:
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Marmite-Crisps-Multipack-6x25g/49388011
Do you ever drink tea?

[Edited at 2011-04-08 19:11 GMT]

Stéphanie Denton (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You either love it or hate it... Apr 8, 2011

Rachel Fell wrote:

I like a packet of these, which I discovered fairly recently:
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Marmite-Crisps-Multipack-6x25g/49388011
Do you ever drink tea?

[Edited at 2011-04-08 19:11 GMT]

...and I can't stand marmite!

Yes, I drink tea, but only in the mornings. Can't get through my day without a good cuppa char!

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Actually, Apr 8, 2011

I don't really like Marmite, but they're really nice - taste one if you get the chance

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
tea Apr 8, 2011

Lots of it mug after mug think i am probably on around ten pints a day at the moment

munchies i can take or leave but i can't work without tea

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:59
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
great topic Apr 8, 2011

as I am getting a bit sleepy but want to keep working on a long translation, specially if I plan to squeeze a decent amount of rest in my weekend !

-little cans (190 ml) of unsweetened tea from ITO EN, the one I have in front of me right now is called Oolong shot, blue tea, and it contains "catechins (EGCg, EGC, ECg and EC) and complex polyphenols such as theaflavins, thearubigins and theabrowins"... ouch, that was a mouthful...
See more
as I am getting a bit sleepy but want to keep working on a long translation, specially if I plan to squeeze a decent amount of rest in my weekend !

-little cans (190 ml) of unsweetened tea from ITO EN, the one I have in front of me right now is called Oolong shot, blue tea, and it contains "catechins (EGCg, EGC, ECg and EC) and complex polyphenols such as theaflavins, thearubigins and theabrowins"... ouch, that was a mouthful

-for very urgent situations, pure espresso coffee from Illy, no milk, 200 ml can
Collapse

Stéphanie Denton (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How much tea? Apr 8, 2011

Steve Booth wrote:

Lots of it mug after mug think i am probably on around ten pints a day at the moment

munchies i can take or leave but i can't work without tea

That's insane! Do you ever sleep? Am I right in presuming that you're ex-military...?

Stéphanie Denton (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What are these cans? Apr 8, 2011

Hugo wrote:

-little cans (190 ml) of unsweetened tea from ITO EN, the one I have in front of me right now is called Oolong shot, blue tea, and it contains "catechins (EGCg, EGC, ECg and EC) and complex polyphenols such as theaflavins, thearubigins and theabrowins"... ouch, that was a mouthful

-for very urgent situations, pure espresso coffee from Illy, no milk, 200 ml can

I've honestly never heard of tea and coffee coming in cans!

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:59
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
cans Apr 8, 2011

http://www.itoen.com/ito-en-shot.html

they taste great, specially when they are very cold !

Stéphanie Denton (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow Apr 8, 2011

Hugo wrote:

http://www.itoen.com/ito-en-shot.html

they taste great, specially when they are very cold !

I find that idea really bizarre. No offence intended whatsoever. Just goes to show cultural differences!

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
I love coffee Apr 8, 2011

I am currently living in Portugal and the coffee here is great, I also have one of those monodose coffee makers.

Sometimes I also drink herbal tea, I have a lot of kinds in the cupboard.

And about munchies....I try to stay away from them, it's hard for me to get my ass in the gym, so I try not to over do it.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Coffee, tea, bananas, peanut butter Apr 8, 2011

Paula Hernández Sambeat wrote:

I am currently living in Portugal and the coffee here is great.

Couldn't agree more about the coffee!

If I start to feel sluggish from caffeine overdose, I sometimes switch for a day or two to "British" tea (milk, no sugar).

For quick energy on those rush jobs (and prevention of muscular cramps in legs), bananas are good.

Peanut butter, straight out the jar (with a teaspoon, of course!) is good "brain food" when you are sleep deprived.

I absolutely have to have clean hands when working at the computer, so with the exception of the tea and coffee, consumption takes place standing up in the kitchen!

Best fuel: a good night's sleep.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:59
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A somewhat uncommon combination Apr 8, 2011

My favorite drink is that black gold, also know as jet fuel: good, home-made coffee.
Coffee is the "blood" of life, at least during the day. When it comes to putting in a night shift, then it's Capuccino.

That's not very uncommon, now is it? But the snacks just might be.

Bananas, strawberries or cherries in either a chocolate or... yes, a jalapeño dip. Delicious!...
See more
My favorite drink is that black gold, also know as jet fuel: good, home-made coffee.
Coffee is the "blood" of life, at least during the day. When it comes to putting in a night shift, then it's Capuccino.

That's not very uncommon, now is it? But the snacks just might be.

Bananas, strawberries or cherries in either a chocolate or... yes, a jalapeño dip. Delicious!
Collapse

Stéphanie Denton (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please, nobody take this in the wrong way... Apr 8, 2011

...but how are we all not extremely overweight? I mean, most of us snack and drink sugary drinks, particularly for a night shift. If we're busy (which I sure hope we all are), we don't get time to go to the gym or exercise, and we spend most of our time plonked on our backsides. I'd say even more so than office workers. My typical working day is 15+ hours!

It must be that most of us are stressed whether we like to admit it or not!

Opinions?

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Brains burns calories! Apr 8, 2011

Stéphanie Denton wrote:

...but how are we all not extremely overweight?

Brains (working/overworking ones) take an enormous amount of energy. Complex carbohydrates and fats (bacon is good - if you have a microwave, or someone else cooks it - and it is kosher for you) are required for it to function properly.
That is the main reason I developed a fondness for bananas. (I already loved peanut butter).

A "state of nerves" also helps to burn calories. That term/sentence/paragraph that's bothering you? Part of your "keeping trim" regime.

You can also keep trim by doing "high-speed" housework (which on my busy days, counts as my "break") e.g. run outside and hang up/take down the laundry; sweep/mop the floor.
Go to the loo; then vigorously clean the basin after washing hands. Madness looks like this, I think.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation fuel

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »