United Kingdom
Local time: 08:28
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I just lost 10lbs... Apr 8, 2011

Allison Wright wrote:

Stéphanie Denton wrote:

...but how are we all not extremely overweight?

Brains (working/overworking ones) take an enormous amount of energy. Complex carbohydrates and fats (bacon is good - if you have a microwave, or someone else cooks it - and it is kosher for you) are required for it to function properly.
That is the main reason I developed a fondness for bananas. (I already loved peanut butter).

A "state of nerves" also helps to burn calories. That term/sentence/paragraph that's bothering you? Part of your "keeping trim" regime.

You can also keep trim by doing "high-speed" housework (which on my busy days, counts as my "break") e.g. run outside and hang up/take down the laundry; sweep/mop the floor.
Go to the loo; then vigorously clean the basin after washing hands. Madness looks like this, I think.

...laughing at your madness! Haha! But yes, totally agree. Does that make me mad too?

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
1. You need to be mad, 2. Brains & calories Apr 8, 2011

Stéphanie Denton wrote:
...laughing at your madness! Haha! But yes, totally agree. Does that make me mad too?

Perhaps yes, but it's a kind of madness that is good for a translator - you need a break from non-stop work after at most 2 hours, less in my case.

Brains and calories: Quote from "New Scientist", 8 November 2008, p. 29:
"In 1953 a physician named Louis Sokoloff laid a 20-year-old college student onto a gurney, attached electrodes to his scalp and inserted a syringe into his jugular vein.
For 60 minutes the volunteer lay there and solved arithmetic problems. All the while, Sokoloff monitored his brainwaves and checked the levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in his blood.
Sokoloff, a researcher at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, was trying to find out how much energy the brain consumes during vigorous thought. He expected his volunteer's brain to guzzle more oxygen as it crunched the problems, but what he saw surprised him: his subject's brain consumed no more oxygen while doing arithmetic than it did while he was resting with his eyes closed. "
Caption on a diagram on the next page: "When you switch off, a distinctive network of brain areas not involved in focused attention bursts into action". So now we know!

Oliver

[Edited at 2011-04-09 09:36 GMT]

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:28
Portuguese to English
Tropical stuff Apr 8, 2011

Coconut water in copious amounts. A good natural isotonic, so great for hydration - which for me is essential to keep my two little neurones firing...

First thing in the morning, Brazilian coffee......just the aroma of it freshly made perks me up, and for someone who doesn't function well in the a.m, good news.

To munch, loads of bananas. And sometimes a bit of choccy........beach volleyball at least 3 nights a week to 1) keep the weight down 2) get me away from the com
... See more
Coconut water in copious amounts. A good natural isotonic, so great for hydration - which for me is essential to keep my two little neurones firing...

First thing in the morning, Brazilian coffee......just the aroma of it freshly made perks me up, and for someone who doesn't function well in the a.m, good news.

To munch, loads of bananas. And sometimes a bit of choccy........beach volleyball at least 3 nights a week to 1) keep the weight down 2) get me away from the computer and transfer my compulsiveness from work to play..

Oh, the tropics..............!

Good post Stéphanie.

[Edited at 2011-04-08 23:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-04-08 23:59 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 09:28
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Nuts, berries, fruit juice, coffee, water. Apr 9, 2011

I'm trying to avoid sweets as much as possible by not bringing them home. If I got them in my cupboard, I'll probably over-consume them, which is not good. The only exception is dark chocolate.

Good old fresh water is very important, because the screen induces dehydration. Always have a bottle of water on my desk.

I sometimes drink herbal tea, I love chai; I wouldn't say I drink much coffee, once a day on average.

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:28
English to French
+ ...
3 tea spoon of Ghirardelli Premium Hot Cocoa... Apr 9, 2011

...mixed in my coffee and I start the machine for the day... Well... let's say till 3:00 in the afternoon. At that very time, no matter what, I have to take a puff of fresh air, make some tea or get some hard candies for not falling asleep. Five minutes later, the cat will ask for the door, I will forget the tea by the stove and the candies will be nowhere to be found... until I decide to feed the shredder with the document I was working on.

Five years ago, the fuel was a cigarette
... See more
...mixed in my coffee and I start the machine for the day... Well... let's say till 3:00 in the afternoon. At that very time, no matter what, I have to take a puff of fresh air, make some tea or get some hard candies for not falling asleep. Five minutes later, the cat will ask for the door, I will forget the tea by the stove and the candies will be nowhere to be found... until I decide to feed the shredder with the document I was working on.

Five years ago, the fuel was a cigarette, and one more... I'd say that replacements have a better energetic return.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:28
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Water Apr 9, 2011

As we have the best tap water in the world there is no reason for drinking anything else. Sometimes I treat myself with a cup of green tea (Indian fair trade), but otherwise I only drink tea after my wife comes home.
Once every day I eat some dark chocolate (fair trade of course) or dried dates. My favourite snack is self-baked rye-bread and beetroot salad on it.

Stéphanie Denton (X)
Stéphanie Denton (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it good? Apr 9, 2011

Mark Thompson wrote:

To munch, loads of bananas. And sometimes a bit of choccy........beach volleyball at least 3 nights a week to 1) keep the weight down 2) get me away from the computer and transfer my compulsiveness from work to play..

Oh, the tropics..............!

Good post Stéphanie.

[Edited at 2011-04-08 23:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-04-08 23:59 GMT]

I've never tried coconut water, is it good?

I try and get to the gym at least 3 times a week, play tennis with my Mum (important onding time), take the little one swimming once a week (although that's more fun than exercise, I burn the calories off trying to get her dressed!) , and walk the dog. I really need to stop drinking coca-cola...

Stéphanie Denton (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tap water = spring water Apr 9, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

As we have the best tap water in the world there is no reason for drinking anything else. Sometimes I treat myself with a cup of green tea (Indian fair trade), but otherwise I only drink tea after my wife comes home.
Once every day I eat some dark chocolate (fair trade of course) or dried dates. My favourite snack is self-baked rye-bread and beetroot salad on it.

I've been to both Norway and Finland, and the water is lovely. We were walking up a mountain in Drammen and drank it straight from the source, I wish it was like that here! I drink plenty of water too, I can't function without it!

Miranda Drew
Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
stress definitely burns calories! Apr 10, 2011

Stéphanie Denton wrote:

...but how are we all not extremely overweight? I mean, most of us snack and drink sugary drinks, particularly for a night shift. If we're busy (which I sure hope we all are), we don't get time to go to the gym or exercise, and we spend most of our time plonked on our backsides. I'd say even more so than office workers. My typical working day is 15+ hours!

It must be that most of us are stressed whether we like to admit it or not!

Opinions?

Stress definitely burns calories, but I also do a spinning class once a week (not much i know, but I do everything I can to always go) and I have a dog, so I have to go out a few times a day and walk around. Having the dog is definitely a help for my physique, because she'll sit there and stare at me with her sad eyes until I take her out...

That said, I love coffee. I have three different types of coffee machines (italian, senseo and american) and dark chocolate (the Italian kind which doesn't have all the crap in it that the American chocolate I grew up with does)

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Italian to English
stuff from the garden! Apr 10, 2011

Winter: oranges and clementines

Summer: sliced fennel (raw - yum!)

And I agree with Allison Wright about energetic housework: long days at the computer often require excerise that "counts" double: sweeping and washing the floor might not be as great as a long walk in the countryside, but I can justify it more easily since it "needs to be done".

(Admittedly, if I kept breakfast cereal in the house, that would be my go-to fuel. But it actually makes you slugg
... See more
Winter: oranges and clementines

Summer: sliced fennel (raw - yum!)

And I agree with Allison Wright about energetic housework: long days at the computer often require excerise that "counts" double: sweeping and washing the floor might not be as great as a long walk in the countryside, but I can justify it more easily since it "needs to be done".

(Admittedly, if I kept breakfast cereal in the house, that would be my go-to fuel. But it actually makes you sluggish and chubby, so it's - mostly - banned.)
Collapse

Zeinab Alayan (X)
Zeinab Alayan (X)
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 12:28
Arabic to English
+ ...
Chocolate! Apr 10, 2011

Chocolate. Lots and lots of it. Usually I'll finish three or four bars while working. Or else hot chocolate, of course.

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
water is great Apr 10, 2011

Stéphanie Denton wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I've been to both Norway and Finland, and the water is lovely. We were walking up a mountain in Drammen and drank it straight from the source, I wish it was like that here! I drink plenty of water too, I can't function without it!

The tap water round here isn't very nice though but i do drink loads of water once it has been boiled and had a teabag soaked in it.

At the moment my main choice of tea is Chai without milk though
i do like lemon tea or mint tea but for that it is just ordinary tea with a slice of lemon or sprig of mint in.

There is a very nice tea shop in Lincoln but when you drink as much as i do you would need to take out a second mortgage

Stéphanie Denton (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lincoln tea shop Apr 10, 2011

Steve Booth wrote:

There is a very nice tea shop in Lincoln but when you drink as much as i do you would need to take out a second mortgage

Which one? Is it Stokes? If so their chocolate cake is to die for!

Holly Nathan (X)
Holly Nathan (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
doncaster Apr 11, 2011

You can get deep-fried creme eggs in doncaster chip shops, I heard on sky news this morning. Ah! I am very proud of my country at times

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Wii tennis Apr 11, 2011

I'm not much of a one for snacking, as I pile the pounds on far too easily since I started working from home. But a month ago I bought Wii - and a tennis "match" every hour or so has proved to be a fabulous way to wake me up and get my brain back in gear when I'm flagging. And, of course, I'm burning energy instead of taking it in - a Wiin-Wiin situation!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation fuel

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »