ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:39
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
It is the least we can do. Mar 12, 2011

For those of us who are home owners, we can buy enough insurance that covers against such disasters. It will not replace our home but it will pay for it.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is horrible Mar 12, 2011

My thoughts are with you...

Andrea

[Edited at 2011-03-12 18:14 GMT]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:39
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Can we translators and interpreters help? Mar 12, 2011

Terrible images, very sad news indeed.

Did you hear of any request for help regarding translation or interpretation?

Regards,
Enrique

Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.
Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 02:39
German to Italian
+ ...
Japan - Volunteer Interpreters Mar 13, 2011

At the time of a disaster such as an earthquake and on evacuation, what counts most is to obtain accurate information. Information concerning what the damage situation is, where to take refuge, and what is available at evacuation areas and shelters. Even Japanese people, who are used to and get prepared for earthquakes have difficulty getting solid information, and taking proper action with them. In foreigners’ case, it is highly possible to fall behind people on evacuation, or to fail to get assisting service at evacuation areas when he is not sufficiently proficient in Japanese or does not get accustomed to the life in Japan. Besides, it is anticipated that you foreigners would be under a lot of stress if you are in stuck among people whom you cannot communicate easily. Furthermore, it must be more fear and uneasiness than could be imagined if you lack in basic knowledge of disasters.

Volunteer interpreters

Local autonomous bodies and the international associations organize “Volunteer Interpreter” with the aim of assisting foreigners who have difficulty communicating in Japanese during large-scale disasters including earthquakes. Volunteer interpreters will be engaged in the activities such as:
1-1. Interpretation for foreign sufferers at evacuation shelters or hospitals.
1-2. Interpretation and translation at disaster headquarters or disaster information centers.
1-3. To provide foreigners with information about prevention measures, evacuation, and lifeline, e.g. at advisory service desk.

Contribute as a volunteer interpreter

Volunteer interpreters don’t consist only of Japanese people who are proficient in languages. Among foreigners who live in Japan, there are students, businessmen, and language teachers who can speak fluent Japanese. Not only they speak both native language and Japanese, but they are versed in their own culture and custom so that they can well understand the situations and feelings of the foreign sufferers. In that point, it is likely that foreign volunteers can help victims of a disaster more than Japanese volunteers can. Please give it consideration that you as a foreigner would contribute to assisting foreign sufferers during a disaster.

Activities of volunteer

(1) Assisting at the time of disasters.
1-1. providing support for foreign inhabitants at the request of municipalities.
1-2. Translation/ Interpretation for foreign victims of the disaster at hospitals or First Aid Stations.
1-3. Assistance at disaster headquarters or Tokyo Metropolitan Disaster Information Center for foreign residents.
1-4. Being help to foreigners at advisory desks by offering information on disasters, evacuation, or living in general.

(2) Participation on a regular basis;
2-1. Disaster drills held by Tokyo city, ward, town or village offices.
2-2. Workshops for foreign language-speaking volunteers
2-3. Some projects conducted by the Tokyo city or municipalities.

Disaster Volunteer Interpreter Program by Miyagi Prefecture

(3) Miyagi Prefecture, where Iwate-Miyagi Nairiku Earthquake occurred on 14 June, 2008, establishes “disaster volunteer interpreter program.”
Volunteer Interpreters will be sent to evacuation places within the disaster affected areas and asked to translate/interpret messages of staff members in charge there to foreigners, or to assist foreign residents in general matters.
The following is a brief list of what to be translated/interpreted.
3-1. Current conditions (scale of damage, etc.)
3-2. Explanation of living at a evacuation shelter (meal hour, specific guidelines, etc.)
3-3. Medical information (including referrals to medical institutions/facilities)
3-4. Information needed to resume a normal life as well as one about transportation and lifeline recovery.

http://www.jpss.jp/en/life/crisis/6/

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Inexpressible horror Mar 13, 2011

With you all.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Here's an article about 5 ways you can help Japan Mar 13, 2011

More than 300 people are now confirmed dead after Thursday's devastating earthquake and subsequent tsunami in Japan. Police expect the death toll to rapidly climb to 1000 or more.

As shocked bystanders across the globe and in neighboring countries, many of us feel helpless with the sight of the photographs and want to do what we can to help. There are many organizations working to relieve Japan's citizens.

Here are five ways you can help the people of Japan from your ow
... See more
More than 300 people are now confirmed dead after Thursday's devastating earthquake and subsequent tsunami in Japan. Police expect the death toll to rapidly climb to 1000 or more.

As shocked bystanders across the globe and in neighboring countries, many of us feel helpless with the sight of the photographs and want to do what we can to help. There are many organizations working to relieve Japan's citizens.

Here are five ways you can help the people of Japan from your own home:

1. Donate to IMC - International Medical Corps is mobilizing relief teams and supplies, as well as contacting partners in the area in order to deploy their most effective strategy. They are a group of medical professionals who provide vital health services with a focus on training in order to return devastated populations to self-sufficiency. You can donate online at www.internationalmedicalcorps.org.

2. Donate to Save the Children - Save the Children stands ready to meet the needs of children and families affected by these events. An international emergency team has been dispatched to assist staff in Japan. You can donate to their efforts online at www.savethechildren.org.

3. Donate money, supplies or air miles to Operation USA - Los Angeles-based international relief agency OpUSA is preparing for their efforts in Japan, and are asking for monetary donations from individuals. They are also requesting air miles through United Airlines Charity Miles program. If your employer would like to get involved, corporate donations of bulk quantities of disaster-appropriate supplies are also needed. Find out the ways you can donate at www.opusa.org.

4. Text a donation to the Red Cross - The Red Cross has launched their relief efforts in Japan. You can donate online, or text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 from your phone.

5. Donate to Doctors Without Borders - Doctors Without Borders has two three-person teams in Japan attempting to get to the hardest hit areas by helicopter. Another 25 staff will respond once the situation has been assessed. You can find out how to donate by visiting their website at www.doctorswithoutborders.org.

Of course, you can always help by keeping up with what's going on and making sure your friends and loved ones in the area have up-to-date information. Google has a resource site that may provide answers to those in need.

(http://www.care2.com/causes/environment/blog/five-ways-you-can-help-japan)
Collapse

Ocean520
Ocean520  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 08:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
more donate channels Mar 15, 2011

Here are more donation channels that can send your contribution to Japan directly:

The Nippon Foundation/CANPAN Northeastern Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund
(I made a donation at this website. They send a confirmation e-mail to everyone who donates to their foundation. You can also request a receipt.)
This donation project is
... See more
Here are more donation channels that can send your contribution to Japan directly:

The Nippon Foundation/CANPAN Northeastern Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund
(I made a donation at this website. They send a confirmation e-mail to everyone who donates to their foundation. You can also request a receipt.)
This donation project is conducted by The Nippon Foundation CANPAN.
To learn more information about them, you may go toThe Nippon Foundation

Or donate at Google Crisis Response

For those who know Japanese, can go to
Yahoo Japan website

Even Paypal has offered some links for sending donations to Japan. You can go to the Paypal donation webpage and choose an organization to make your contribution for help.

[Edited at 2011-03-15 07:24 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hosting space and memoQ server Mar 15, 2011

To any Japanese colleagues out there. Given the potential power supply problems you might be facing soon if the nuclear plants get into serious trouble, and in case you need some way of sharing files and memoQ projects, we in the team can offer you help with the following:

- To host memoQ projects and resources in our memoQ Server while the troubles last, so that people outside of Japan can see/use them.

- FTP space (I think I have 2,5 GB which we very rarely use)
... See more
To any Japanese colleagues out there. Given the potential power supply problems you might be facing soon if the nuclear plants get into serious trouble, and in case you need some way of sharing files and memoQ projects, we in the team can offer you help with the following:

- To host memoQ projects and resources in our memoQ Server while the troubles last, so that people outside of Japan can see/use them.

- FTP space (I think I have 2,5 GB which we very rarely use)

Just in case this is useful to anyone in need of making sure that files will be available in case of power cuts.
Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
nuclear disaster Mar 15, 2011

My thoughts are with Japan of course, but also with the rest of the World, as aren't we facing a nuclear disaster, bigger than Chernobyl?
I keep on wondering how comes that the country with so incredibly tragic history regarding the nuclear weapon usage, and with this high seismological hazard, has so many nuclear power plants.
Ewa

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Amazing! Mar 15, 2011

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak) wrote:
I keep on wondering how comes that the country with so incredibly tragic history regarding the nuclear weapon usage, and with this high seismological hazard, has so many nuclear power plants.

Yes, indeed! I wonder how after so many centuries of fights with dangerous swords, they still have knives!!

Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
. Mar 15, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Yes, indeed! I wonder how after so many centuries of fights with dangerous swords, they still have knives!!

Tomás, if you don't see the difference between a sword/knife and nuclear energy, that's your problem, but please let's not get into this kind of discussion, not here.
Ewa

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The obvious reply Mar 15, 2011

I can clearly see the difference between knives and nuclear energy. I have been to Hiroshima and have a very clear understanding of the horror caused even by a comparatively small nuclear weapon.

Now, Japan lacks other sources of energy in a sufficient quantity to produce the energy required by a modern, industrial society, so it is either nuclear power or:

- Filling every single valley in Japan with water to produce electricity (another risk if you consider earthquake
... See more
I can clearly see the difference between knives and nuclear energy. I have been to Hiroshima and have a very clear understanding of the horror caused even by a comparatively small nuclear weapon.

Now, Japan lacks other sources of energy in a sufficient quantity to produce the energy required by a modern, industrial society, so it is either nuclear power or:

- Filling every single valley in Japan with water to produce electricity (another risk if you consider earthquakes), or building thousands of renewable energy plants taking a big share of the scarce flat land
- Multiplying Japan's CO2 footprint, along with oil consumption (i.e. increasing oil prices all over the world)
- Greatly reducing Japan's industrial power
- Greatly reducing Japan's population since there wouldn't be enough farming land to feed the current population in a more rural country that would not be able to export a lot and import food (approx. half of the food is imported).

Japanese people are as worried as the rest of the world about this situation, but I am convinced that they prefer the society they have now, instead of any of the above alternatives.

So things might be more complicated than switching off their power stations: they have nuclear power because they need it...

I apologise for my sarcarm.
Collapse

Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
@Tomás Mar 15, 2011

no problem; I've got your point;
thanks, regards, Ewa

Piotr Wargan
Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
Life is so fragile... Mar 15, 2011

Horrible disaster, and the suffering of the people is not over yet

My thougths are with you all now.

Nuclear power plants Mar 16, 2011

Ewa

I surely share same feeling with you Ewa. But I guess the country is so natural resource poor they don't have much choice but to resort to nuclear energy in order to support their enormous needs for backing one of the largest economy in the world.
I firmly believe these facilities are well prepared to all possible natural and man-made disasters, but please remember that magnitude of 9.0 earthquakes combined with such an enormous Tsunami has never experienced anywhere in the annul of human history.

In any event, screen after screen it is heartbreaking to see unspeakable destructions to human lives as well as properties. My heart sinks when I see enormous debris and piles and piles of broken buildings, cars and ships as far as eyes can see. Deep condolences to those who passed away in the midst of the calamity, and to those who lost their loved ones.

However, out of unbelievable tragedy such as this, there are always heroes, in particular those fifty workers at Fukushima Diichi Nuclear Power plant, who are risking their lives to prevent meltdown. Let's pray for their mission to be successful.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thoughts for Japan

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »