Irene (Renata) Liapis
Irene (Renata) Liapis  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 20, 2011

Hello everyone,
I am an Italian and Greek to English financial translator now living in Greece.
I am addressing this forum today as my son is looking into choosing a university in Europe (he will most probably major in a chemistry related field) and we came upon the BUTE (BME I believe in Hungarian) which seemed very interesting, since it offers the chemistry curriculum in English.

I see that it is ranked among the 500 best universities according to some rankings that I
... See more
Hello everyone,
I am an Italian and Greek to English financial translator now living in Greece.
I am addressing this forum today as my son is looking into choosing a university in Europe (he will most probably major in a chemistry related field) and we came upon the BUTE (BME I believe in Hungarian) which seemed very interesting, since it offers the chemistry curriculum in English.

I see that it is ranked among the 500 best universities according to some rankings that I found on the internet, but would really like to know more about it from people who are more familiar with it.
Any information would be very helpful and welcome.
Thanks very much in advance for your time.

With kind regards
Renata Liapis
Collapse

József Lázár
József Lázár  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 17:57
Member (2010)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
BME or ELTE, Hungary or .... Feb 20, 2011

Dear Renata,
I am chemist and chemical enigeer. My first degree comes from ELTE (Faculty of Sciences) and during my career I did see many BME Chemical Engineer and ELTE chemist graduates and doctors.

The two universities are situated about 1 km from each other now. and if you like the idea to send your son to Hungary, then I propose to consider both options. Traditionally ELTE is considered more science oriented while BME is more engineering oriented. Maybe these differences
... See more
Dear Renata,
I am chemist and chemical enigeer. My first degree comes from ELTE (Faculty of Sciences) and during my career I did see many BME Chemical Engineer and ELTE chemist graduates and doctors.

The two universities are situated about 1 km from each other now. and if you like the idea to send your son to Hungary, then I propose to consider both options. Traditionally ELTE is considered more science oriented while BME is more engineering oriented. Maybe these differences are minimal today.

BME has greater resources and they are more flexible, it seems. On the other hand the entry requirements seem to be more strict at BME.

Certainly you will find a lot of English website about these universities.

I hope I could help.
Joseph

[Módosítva: 2011-02-20 21:45 GMT]
Collapse

Irene (Renata) Liapis
Irene (Renata) Liapis  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 5, 2011

Dear Joszef,
Thank you very much for your reply.
We will probably visit the university later this year.
I hope it works out - Hungary would be a great place for my son to spend a few years studying!
Renata

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about the Budapest University of Technology and Economics

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »