Collapse

Romeo Mlinar
Romeo Mlinar
Portugal
Local time: 03:12
English to Serbian
+ ...
I lol'd Jan 14, 2011

But on more serious note: is it possible to improve one's handwriting? I'm not talking about calligraphy, but to acquire decent looking style...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In google land, everything is possible Jan 14, 2011

Mlinar wrote:
But on more serious note: is it possible to improve one's handwriting?

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/9112-how-to-improve-handwriting

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
@ Mlinar Jan 14, 2011

Yes, it's possible if you're prepared to put in the effort, and can become a real pleasure.

The videos suggested by Samuel are a good idea. It helps to copy someone else's actions.

I'm left-handed, so had problems learning handwriting at school and assumed I was stuck with poor writing and messy pages for ever. Then in the 3rd year of secondary school, during biology lessons I sat by a right-handed girl who had the most beautiful italic hand. Even though this was just
... See more
Yes, it's possible if you're prepared to put in the effort, and can become a real pleasure.

The videos suggested by Samuel are a good idea. It helps to copy someone else's actions.

I'm left-handed, so had problems learning handwriting at school and assumed I was stuck with poor writing and messy pages for ever. Then in the 3rd year of secondary school, during biology lessons I sat by a right-handed girl who had the most beautiful italic hand. Even though this was just for one afternoon a week, I watched how she wrote and found I could copy the style. She wrote from vertically beneath the line and when I tried it, my hand no longer trailed over what I'd just written.

It took about 6 months for it to become natural, but I've enjoyed writing well ever since, with all the associated advantages. It also gave an important boost to my self-confidence. When people see my writing, they rarely guess I'm a left-hander!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My handwriting has improved! Jan 14, 2011

LOL!!

Indeed that was my situation until about a year ago. Now as my two boys are losing their baby teeth, my handwriting is in fact improving with every visit of the Ratoncito Pérez (our version of the Tooth Fairy)! The little mouse always writes with very nice, round letters!

[Edited at 2011-01-14 12:37 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
@ Minar and Wordeffect Jan 14, 2011

Wordeffect wrote:

I'm left-handed, so had problems learning handwriting at school and assumed I was stuck with poor writing and messy pages for ever. Then in the 3rd year of secondary school, during biology lessons I sat by a right-handed girl who had the most beautiful italic hand. Even though this was just for one afternoon a week, I watched how she wrote and found I could copy the style. She wrote from vertically beneath the line and when I tried it, my hand no longer trailed over what I'd just written.

It took about 6 months for it to become natural, but I've enjoyed writing well ever since, with all the associated advantages. It also gave an important boost to my self-confidence. When people see my writing, they rarely guess I'm a left-hander!

Oh it is possible to improve one's hand writing. The video is a way. You can also adopt different styles and turn them into one unique "signature", your own. I experimented with various written languages, having learned Old German and Latin in school, then turned to Hebrew and Arabian, aside from shorthand. The result is...well, genuinely unique. In fact, when I had to get a new ID and signed it, the officer gave first my signature, then me a serious glance, then objected that at least 3 letters of the signature must be legible. She couldn't help but smile when I told her that I was able to read every single letter of it.

I'm a "naturally born" right-handed person, but last year I couldn't use my right hand for several months, so I had to find a way to get my left hand to produce a semi-legible signature. It did take me a few months, but now I can write with both.

So everything is possible, if you seriously put your mind to it (or are forced to do so)

Romeo Mlinar
Romeo Mlinar
Portugal
English to Serbian
+ ...
Maybe I could try Jan 14, 2011

Thayenga wrote:

So everything is possible, if you seriously put your mind to it (or are forced to do so)

I can't say I'm forced, but sometimes I have to write in public - and my poor handwriting is not very helpful. And I am frustrated myself - the more I try to achieve a neat handwriting, the poorer it gets (in Latin and Cyrillic script).

I did look into the matter several years ago, before Youtube and video on the Net. This topic gave me idea to revisit the idea and sharpen a pencil!

Thank you all for your input!

chaplin
chaplin
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Handwriting is a joy Jan 17, 2011

Maybe it is the artist in me but I love writing well. When I went back to university to do my PGCE my tutors were always commenting not only on my style but on my handwriting. Maybe it is because I had to write on a slate and then with a nib pen and ink in a well on the desk. I like writing in different colours. I never feel as proud of a translation done on the computer as it does not have my signature and presentation?
Happy new year to all
Cheerio
Ségolène

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How my handwriting has changed since Kindergarten

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »