Off topic: Are we really that desperate?
Thread poster: Simone Linke
Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:03
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 31, 2010

I normally delete such offers right away, but this one is so hilarious, I have to post it:

--
Job Description

Have You always wanted to work in a translation company? Are you a certified English translator and a Native speaker of the language you translate to/from? Well, if so, You're on the right place. A new XX company is adding certified translators to it's team! ALL LANGUAGES ARE NEEDED!
Please, read this part, and if you agree with the conditions, you m
... See more
I normally delete such offers right away, but this one is so hilarious, I have to post it:

--
Job Description

Have You always wanted to work in a translation company? Are you a certified English translator and a Native speaker of the language you translate to/from? Well, if so, You're on the right place. A new XX company is adding certified translators to it's team! ALL LANGUAGES ARE NEEDED!
Please, read this part, and if you agree with the conditions, you may be the perfect candidate for this team.

1. The manager will arrange the jobs, and will receive "materials"(documents which have to be translated, etc.).

2.After the manager receives the material, she will provide it to the contractors.

3.When the material is translated, the contractors provide it back to the manager who provides it to the client.

4. The manager takes 20% of all payment.

5. The manager won't take 20% of the payment from 2 contractors. If you receive the best feedback, or earn the biggest amount of money, You will be one of them!

6. If you receive a very low feedback(below 3.5), You will have to leave the team.

7.The potential job will be discussed with contractors before arranging.

8.Contractors MUST translate the provided document at least 24 hours before the deadline. If not, they will have to leave the team.

9. Your rate must be below 0.03 US$/word .

10. This is not an exclusive company(a company which doesn't allow her contractors to work by themselves of for another company) but you have the right to decline to work on a project once a month. If You decline a project without a good reason 2 times a month, You will have to leave the team.

IMPORTANT: We do not guarantee a constant workflow!

So, if you agree with theese rules, if you're a certified translator and a Native speaker of a language you translate to/from and if your rate is below 0,03 $/word I belive you're the perfect match for our company.
However, if you don't agree with theese rules, or you're not a certified translator, or you're not a Native speaker of a language you translate to/from and if your rate isn't below 0,03/word do not bid at all! Your proposal will be declined immidiately.

We're able to add an unlimited number of translators in our team, so don't be discouraged!

When biding, please provide a sample of work, and Your rate/word.

Thank You, and good luck,
YYY

---------

Happy new year everybody!
My new year's resolution: educate beginners that offers like this one are not the norm but should be rejected - ALWAYS!
Collapse

imatahan
imatahan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
LOL Dec 31, 2010

No, I am not!

Lise Leavitt
Lise Leavitt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:03
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
It has to be a joke from a witty colleague... Dec 31, 2010

...wanting to bring us into the new year with a smile.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

L.

Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk
Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
Russian to English
+ ...
There is a little bit of joke in every joke... Dec 31, 2010

...but the rest is the truth. Well, almost .

Happy Translating Year to everybody!

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:03
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jan 1, 2011

That must be someone already in the business, and he/she is indeed desperate.

Happy 2011.

Elías

kenny2006woo (X)
kenny2006woo (X)

Local time: 13:03
English to Chinese
shocked Jan 1, 2011

--
Job Description

Please, read this part, and if you agree with the conditions, you may be the perfect candidate for this team.

1. The manager will arrange the jobs, and will receive "materials"(documents which have to be translated, etc.).

2.After the manager receives the material, she will provide it to the contractors.

3.When the material is translated, the contractors provide it back to the manager who provides it to the client.

5. The manager won't take 20% of the payment from 2 contractors. If you receive the best feedback, or earn the biggest amount of money, You will be one of them!

6. If you receive a very low feedback(below 3.5), You will have to leave the team.

8.Contractors MUST translate the provided document at least 24 hours before the deadline. If not, they will have to leave the team.

10. This is not an exclusive company(a company which doesn't allow her contractors to work by themselves of for another company) but you have the right to decline to work on a project once a month. If You decline a project without a good reason 2 times a month, You will have to leave the team.

So, if you agree with theese rules, if you're a certified translator and a Native speaker of a language you translate to/from and if your rate is below 0,03 $/word I belive you're the perfect match for our company.
However, if you don't agree with theese rules, or you're not a certified translator, or you're not a Native speaker of a language you translate to/from and if your rate isn't below 0,03/word do not bid at all! Your proposal will be declined immidiately.

We're able to add an unlimited number of translators in our team, so don't be discouraged!

YYY

---------

My new year's resolution: educate beginners that offers like this one are not the norm but should be rejected - ALWAYS!

Such an offer ought to be rejected immediately. How outrageous are some of the requirements!

PS: There're at least four typos in the job description.

[Edited at 2011-01-01 04:59 GMT]

Daniel Weston
Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:03
French to English
+ ...
I ran across the same ad Jan 1, 2011

Hi, I saw this ad as well, a couple of days ago. I had to laugh, but I didn't think it was a joke!

Happy New Year

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Local time: 08:03
Turkish to English
+ ...
Yes I agree Jan 1, 2011

The best is to delete such offers right away.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Deluded Jan 1, 2011

If they think that they will get good feedback from customers for 3 cents per word... they are clearly deluded. In my opinion they will dismiss all of their translators at some point and they will never have the stable team they need in order to please customers.

The whole business concept is a fail.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:03
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Offensive Jan 1, 2011

kenny2006woo wrote:

--
Job Description

YYY

---------

Such an offer ought to be rejected immediately. How outrageous are some of the requirements!

PS: There're at least four typos in the job description.

[Edited at 2011-01-01 04:59 GMT]

Personally, this job ad is not only shocking but offensive and beyond my tolerance.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What will you do about it? Jan 1, 2011

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
Personally, this job ad is not only shocking but offensive and beyond my tolerance.

What do you do when something goes beyond your tolerance?

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:03
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Maybe a Voodoo curse? Jan 1, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Other than putting it straight into the waste bin, maybe we should hire a shaman and put a Voodoo curse on the culprit.

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Karma Jan 1, 2011

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Other than putting it straight into the waste bin, maybe we should hire a shaman and put a Voodoo curse on the culprit.

You know what? You don't have to lift a finger. Let life take care of these so-and-so's.

A couple of customers of mine did not want to honor their contracts; after having brought legal actions against them and won, I was told one fell seriously ill, the other died straight away. I even felt sorry for them (and a tiny bit of Schadenfreude, I must admit) but my conscience was clean.

As for the topic: I feel your frustration, my dear colleagues, however "non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa." (let us not speak of them, but look, and pass on.)

And I wish you all a very Happy 2011!

Anna Michlik
Anna Michlik  Identity Verified
Poland
Spanish to Polish
+ ...
A joke I guess Jan 1, 2011

Come on, it cannot be true!
ROTFL

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 05:03
Japanese to English
I laughed all the way through. Jan 1, 2011

Made me think it was a joke, but then

made me think it was not. This sounds like the kind of desperate get-rich-quick scheme someone could think of after failing to make it on their own. They try to reach out to other unsuccessful people, hence the low rate. I hope no one's actually dumb enough to fall for it...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are we really that desperate?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »