Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Do translators read a lot and faster?
Thread poster: Christine Ghafoor
Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
Different types of reading Dec 27, 2010

Germaine wrote:

I usually read 350-400 words/minute, 700 when I search for a particular information. I read a lot for work so, for relaxation, I turn to television. Nevertheless, there is always a pile of books (usually fantasy or novels) waiting for the summer and winter holidays.
A client of mines probably beats Paul's 120 pages/hr: after scrolling down full pages of text over my shoulder in seconds, he turns on the television and starts indicating typos and dictate revisions while watching basketball...

You read differently. I cannot manage 120 pages in an hour but I can read 10,000 words in an hour. I call it power reading and use it when customers want something checking really fast. I then concentrate on grammar and spelling and that is it.

I do read a book or 2 a week (have done all my life) and it is a skill you develop over time. I need to block everything else out. This I taught myself when the children were small.

R.C. (X)
R.C. (X)
Local time: 06:23
English to Italian
+ ...
YES, WE DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE Dec 27, 2010

I used to read an awful lot when I was young.

As per literary readings:

Now I've lost this passion, but restarting to study in a course I noticed that I still read much faster than highly-literate people.

Sometimes however I think we loose a few details for the sake of quickness - especially if the subject is not that interesting.

Search in the web is another issue.

Raffaela C.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do translators read a lot and faster?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »