Off topic: Impressive iPhone software
Thread poster: Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:33
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 17, 2010

Hello All,
I just came across this short film about an impressive (IMHO) iPhone application.

http://www.wimp.com/iphoneapp/

I have not visted the site promoted on the film itself as I have no interest in EnglishSpanish translations nor an iPhone for that matter.

I do, however, see ample market opportunities for such products, especially in the tourism industry.
... See more
Hello All,
I just came across this short film about an impressive (IMHO) iPhone application.

http://www.wimp.com/iphoneapp/

I have not visted the site promoted on the film itself as I have no interest in EnglishSpanish translations nor an iPhone for that matter.

I do, however, see ample market opportunities for such products, especially in the tourism industry.

I think we all would appreciate comments from people who actually have this piece of software and could confirm it works as on the film.

All the best,
Marek

PS. I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but have not found anything like 'Future of the Translation Industry'. Naturally, moderators are free to put this thread in a more appropirate place.
Collapse

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 20:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
interesting app but Dec 17, 2010

the few English translations shown in the clip leave something to be desired... they are literal and the word order faulty.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Machine translation Dec 17, 2010

In the examples they give, despite the incorrectness of the translations, there is little room for ambiguity, but I am sure that there will be translations which are incorrect to the point of being dangerous. I imagine they will have covered their backs with appropriate disclaimers!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting, but failed Dec 17, 2010

Many of the source and target texts they show in the video are wrong. They need to hire a linguist!

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:33
English to Spanish
Please... Dec 17, 2010

don't link to Wimp, credit the source (in this case the two-man company that developed the app):

http://questvisual.com/

I think most comments on this thread are missing the point; of course the translations will be off, the app uses a simple MT engine that will never produce accurate results, and the quality of the translation is limited to the corpus and algorithms used (and g
... See more
don't link to Wimp, credit the source (in this case the two-man company that developed the app):

http://questvisual.com/

I think most comments on this thread are missing the point; of course the translations will be off, the app uses a simple MT engine that will never produce accurate results, and the quality of the translation is limited to the corpus and algorithms used (and given that the platform is a mobile phone, these will probably never get any better). BUT, what's impressive here is the pattern recognition and replacement in real time without using an internet connection!! Notice that there's no need for user input whatsoever (no typing!), and how they match the color of the signs. This is commonly called Augmented Reality... and it's the first time I see some AR that is actually useful (besides some apps for colour blind people).

Imagine walking in a foreign country and suddenly being able to have a rough translation of all the signs (as long as you have a semi-horizontal line of sight to them) simply by pointing your phone. Really amazing; if they include support for non-Roman alphabets this app will become be a huge success!

Edit: Forgot to add, you can check on Youtube a lot of user videos testing the app, (here's one example).

[Edited at 2010-12-17 13:30 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Also for Nokia smart phones Dec 20, 2010

http://store.ovi.com/content/23756

If you have no internet connection your resources will be limited. A reasonably sized multi-language dictionary needs lots of memory.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impressive iPhone software

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »