English to Russian
+ ...
# Nov 27, 2010

Suzan Hamer wrote:

Imagine UNltd.

Great!

NK

[Edited at 2010-11-27 16:25 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:10
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cosmic Justice Nov 27, 2010

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but saying, "I'm for world peace" is as impotent as a castrati's little junk, while tyrants snigger.

The way we achieve peace is to stand up to tyranny, and if it gets violent, you respond in kind. That tank guy in China is still in jail, even after all the little protesters complaining about it all the time. His peace friends have been oppressed in one way or another as well. The fastest way to uproot the Chinese ruling thugs will be through viol
... See more
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but saying, "I'm for world peace" is as impotent as a castrati's little junk, while tyrants snigger.

The way we achieve peace is to stand up to tyranny, and if it gets violent, you respond in kind. That tank guy in China is still in jail, even after all the little protesters complaining about it all the time. His peace friends have been oppressed in one way or another as well. The fastest way to uproot the Chinese ruling thugs will be through violence, not peace chains.

Lord Chamberlain and the rest produced World War II because they said, essentially, "give peace a chance". No, you stomp out tyrants, in this case Hitler, with forceful violence.

Lennon was pretty weak in the philosophy category. I'll take P.J. O'Rourke over him any day. Here he is: http://www.amazon.com/Give-War-Chance-P-J-ORourke/dp/0679742018

[Edited at 2010-11-27 21:57 GMT]
Collapse

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 14:10
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
As I have noticed Nov 28, 2010

Edward Potter wrote:

The way we achieve peace is to stand up to tyranny, and if it gets violent, you respond in kind.

May be, may be... But as I have noticed among those who really oppose tyranny we can usually see more peace-oriented beads wearing yippies than aggressive but conformist ties wearing yuppies...

NK

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:10
English
+ ...
Well, Edward, Nov 28, 2010

Edward Potter wrote:

saying, "I'm for world peace" is as impotent as a castrati's little junk, while tyrants snigger.

you know what fighting for peace is like.... (If not, google "Fighting for peace is like"). As Albert Camus said: "There are causes worth dying for, but none worth killing for." And Martin Luther King said: "War is a poor chisel to carve out tomorrows".

[Edited at 2010-11-29 00:50 GMT]

Ivan Rocha, CT
Ivan Rocha, CT
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree Nov 29, 2010

Edward Potter wrote:

The way we achieve peace is to stand up to tyranny, and if it gets violent, you respond in kind. That tank guy in China is still in jail, even after all the little protesters complaining about it all the time. His peace friends have been oppressed in one way or another as well. The fastest way to uproot the Chinese ruling thugs will be through violence, not peace chains.

Lord Chamberlain and the rest produced World War II because they said, essentially, "give peace a chance". No, you stomp out tyrants, in this case Hitler, with forceful violence.

Lennon was pretty weak in the philosophy category. I'll take P.J. O'Rourke over him any day. Here he is: http://www.amazon.com/Give-War-Chance-P-J-ORourke/dp/0679742018

[Edited at 2010-11-27 21:57 GMT]

+1.

War and violence are needed - and indeed good -, when someone is standing against totalitarian deeds, regimes and persons. Platitudes about peace do nothing to boost our odds of achieving real peace.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's Give Peace a Chance!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »