Off topic: BBC article on OfficeSpeak
Thread poster: jane mg
nmfurla (X)
nmfurla (X)
Local time: 14:51
Italian to English
It's a learning curve Nov 8, 2010

....is at the very top of my list

followed by "issues", and "challenges" instead of problems.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Naomi Klein Nov 17, 2010

Mfurla wrote:

I once went to a lecture by Naomi Klein, which she introduced by saying "I'm going to talk about shoes".

Then she explained how she can't stand the word "issues".

[Edited at 2010-11-17 09:10 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Naomi Klein Nov 17, 2010

Mfurla wrote:

I once went to a lecture by Naomi Klein, which she introduced by saying "I'm going to talk about shoes".

Then she explained how she can't stand the word "issues".

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A few more Nov 17, 2010

And what about "competitive edges", "delivering (added) values", "driving your business"...? It's not just office speak, it's the all "businesspeak", including advertising lingo.

In my view, things are going from bad to worse in English today...

[Upraveno: 2010-11-17 12:50 GMT]

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
What was the future... Nov 17, 2010

is now "going forward" - ghastly!
And I particularly like the suggestion from JP Morgan mentioned in this article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7453584.stm

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Also passion Nov 17, 2010

Rachel Fell wrote:
And I particularly like the suggestion from JP Morgan mentioned in this article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7453584.stm

Good heavens - I'm surprised they didn't get in all sorts of legal hot water re: inappropriate remarks, or something.

Meanwhile, I fully endorse the remarks slightly further down that article about "passion". Every time I read the word on here (and a day rarely passes without someone declaring their passion for words or language or translating), I die a little inside.

@Stanislav - apparently (meaning I read it somewhere, remembered it, but can't source it now), ever since the invention of the printing press, two of the most common topics (back then for pamphleteers; now for bloggers and journos) have always and consistently been:
a) the youth of today being waistrels who will never amount to anything/the "golden age" of whatever country the author is writing about (consistently some 30-40 years prior to the time of publication) and
b) the decline in standards of speech and writing.
It's a miracle we're not all living in caves and eating mud

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Max Goldt about cultural decline Nov 17, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

@Stanislav - apparently (meaning I read it somewhere, remembered it, but can't source it now), ever since the invention of the printing press, two of the most common topics (back then for pamphleteers; now for bloggers and journos) have always and consistently been:
a) the youth of today being waistrels who will never amount to anything/the "golden age" of whatever country the author is writing about (consistently some 30-40 years prior to the time of publication) and
b) the decline in standards of speech and writing.
It's a miracle we're not all living in caves and eating mud

I'm tempted to quote the great Max Goldt (in my feeble attempt to translate into English):

"I know that the middle-aged have at all times been complaining about their posterity, and that these complaints have always been unjustified. On the other hand: What if those in their early twenties today were the very first generation in history against whom the classical complaint is legitimate? After all, these people have spent their entire lives overshadowed by commercial television."

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
My dad used to say it went back to the ancient Greeks... Nov 17, 2010

The younger generation has been in decline since the ancient Greeks, according to my aged Parent. Probably even earlier, until someone invented writing. Definitely an exception to the rule!

Actually the client I am translating for at the moment is one of my favourites. It is often hard to do his monthly newsletters justice, but he can turn a phrase and paint a picture in a few words.

But this client writes in Swedish...

And Swedes CAN write officeSpeak in
... See more
The younger generation has been in decline since the ancient Greeks, according to my aged Parent. Probably even earlier, until someone invented writing. Definitely an exception to the rule!

Actually the client I am translating for at the moment is one of my favourites. It is often hard to do his monthly newsletters justice, but he can turn a phrase and paint a picture in a few words.

But this client writes in Swedish...

And Swedes CAN write officeSpeak in a dreadful blend of Swenglish when the mood takes them. I wonder if this client gets folk to stop up and think!

[Edited at 2010-11-17 13:56 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BBC article on OfficeSpeak

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »