Thread poster: patyjs
patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2010

My daughter will be having her quinceaños (15th birthday party) in January. It's the Mexican equivalent of the Sweet Sixteen and it's traditional for the birthday girl to dance one or two choreographed numbers. The theme for the party is Hollywood/oscars and we want ALL the music to be from movies. We have the music for the waltz(es) and for a slower contemporary dance she'll do but we still need a more upbeat song. It doesn't have to be the title song but something instantly recognizable as be... See more
My daughter will be having her quinceaños (15th birthday party) in January. It's the Mexican equivalent of the Sweet Sixteen and it's traditional for the birthday girl to dance one or two choreographed numbers. The theme for the party is Hollywood/oscars and we want ALL the music to be from movies. We have the music for the waltz(es) and for a slower contemporary dance she'll do but we still need a more upbeat song. It doesn't have to be the title song but something instantly recognizable as being from x movie would be great. I suggested "Eye of the Tiger" (Rocky) but she's not convinced.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Collapse

Salima Post
Salima Post
United States
Local time: 07:25
English to French
How about Nov 3, 2010

(I've Had) The Time of My Life" (Bill Medley, Jennifer Warnes) from Dirty Dancing
'Footloose' by Kenny Loggins from Footloose
'Lose Yourself' by Eminem from 8 mile
'Born to Be Wild' by Steppenwolf from Easy Rider
'Staying Alive' by the Bee Gees, 'Disco Inferno' by the Trammps from Saturday Night Fever
'My Sharona' by the Knack, 'All I Want Is You' by U2, 'Spinning Around Over You' by Lenny Kravitz from Reality Bites
'Keep Their Heads Ringin'' by Dr. Dre, 'Mar
... See more
(I've Had) The Time of My Life" (Bill Medley, Jennifer Warnes) from Dirty Dancing
'Footloose' by Kenny Loggins from Footloose
'Lose Yourself' by Eminem from 8 mile
'Born to Be Wild' by Steppenwolf from Easy Rider
'Staying Alive' by the Bee Gees, 'Disco Inferno' by the Trammps from Saturday Night Fever
'My Sharona' by the Knack, 'All I Want Is You' by U2, 'Spinning Around Over You' by Lenny Kravitz from Reality Bites
'Keep Their Heads Ringin'' by Dr. Dre, 'Mary Jane' by Rick James from Friday
'Jai Ho' by A.R. Rahman, 'Paper Planes' by M.I.A., 'O ... Saya' by A.R. Rahman & M.I.A from Slumdog Millionaire
'Theme From Shaft,' 'Shaft's Cab Ride' by Isaac Hayes from Shaft
'Falling Slowly' and 'If You Want Me' by Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová from Once
'Shake a Tail Feather' by Ray Charles, 'Think' by Aretha Franklin from the Blues Brothers

Just to name a few...
Collapse

claudiabi
claudiabi
Local time: 12:25
Flashdance ? Nov 3, 2010

What about "Flashdance, What a Feeling" ?

happy quinceaños !

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Grease Lightning? Nov 3, 2010

What about this one:

Grease-Grease Lightning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c48Ol9xkaqM

[Edited at 2010-11-03 21:14 GMT]

Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Age... Nov 3, 2010

I guess, "instantly recognizable" depends on the age of the listener.. does your daughter watch rather new or rather old movies?

Some examples...:

- Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf (Easy Rider, older movie)
- Rockafeller Skank - Fatboy Slim (prom dance scene in She's All That, newer movie)
- Kiss me - Sixpence None the Richer (She's All That, maybe too slow?)
- Everybody Need Somebody - Blues Brothers (older movie)
- Bad Reputation - Joan Jett & Th
... See more
I guess, "instantly recognizable" depends on the age of the listener.. does your daughter watch rather new or rather old movies?

Some examples...:

- Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf (Easy Rider, older movie)
- Rockafeller Skank - Fatboy Slim (prom dance scene in She's All That, newer movie)
- Kiss me - Sixpence None the Richer (She's All That, maybe too slow?)
- Everybody Need Somebody - Blues Brothers (older movie)
- Bad Reputation - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts (10 Things I Hate About You, newer movie)
- If I Were Your Woman - Gladys Knight (A Life Less Ordinary, newer movie)
- James Bond themes - various artists (there's an upbeat remix by Moby, too; see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P79cVnDmzB0)
- Mission Impossible theme - Limp Bizkit (remix)

Need more?

[Edited at 2010-11-03 20:57 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Come on guys!! Nov 3, 2010

"(I've had the) Time of my life" from Dirty Dancing just fits the situation perfectly!

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Ha ha.. Nov 3, 2010

I've searched Youtube for Grease Lightning performances, as this song is very danceable, and I found this: prison inmates dancing to it, there are so many of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLuwwW10VF0

but they are quite synchronized, lol

[Edited at 2010-11-03 21:29 GMT]

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:25
English to Arabic
+ ...
Fame (I'm gonna live forever) Nov 3, 2010

I think that song is great for the birthday of a teenager who's confident (s)he's bound to conquer the world:

I can catch the moon in my hand
Don't you know who I am
Remember my name
Fame
I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly.....

To the end of those well known lyrics..

-----------------------
Trying to think of something more contemporary, and
... See more
I think that song is great for the birthday of a teenager who's confident (s)he's bound to conquer the world:

I can catch the moon in my hand
Don't you know who I am
Remember my name
Fame
I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly.....

To the end of those well known lyrics..

-----------------------
Trying to think of something more contemporary, and the only recognisable musical I can think of is High School Musical (1,2,3,4...). I think the mid-eighties saw the end of respectable, recognisable musicals. Or am I wrong??

[Edited at 2010-11-03 22:37 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need a movie song.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »