Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:21
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2010

I just saw this job posting:
http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/465829

I assume it's a mistake, due to copy and pasting, but why would a sign-language interpreter need Trados?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Soltanto perché mi piace! Oct 20, 2010

I've seen countless job posts demanding Trados sine qua non when it's completely useless, e.g. translating from audio/video recordings, handwritten docs, etc.

My perception of it is that SDL must be offering cruises on the Caribbean or other prizes to PMs who won't even give the time of the day to translators who haven't bought Trados. Though I might be wrong, this and my uncompromising ethics led me to choose WordFast instead.
... See more
I've seen countless job posts demanding Trados sine qua non when it's completely useless, e.g. translating from audio/video recordings, handwritten docs, etc.

My perception of it is that SDL must be offering cruises on the Caribbean or other prizes to PMs who won't even give the time of the day to translators who haven't bought Trados. Though I might be wrong, this and my uncompromising ethics led me to choose WordFast instead.

When such blind demands are made, I tend to treat them as seriously as being from someone looking for a translator who smokes Marlboros, drives a Ford, or drinks Pepsi. Of course, there are some perfectly legit such requests, but not as often as they appear.

A new client wanted me to do a job using Passolo. I had never heard of it before. The whole (large) project had been built around that software. The key issue is that they would provide me with the program. No problem at all, I did it!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados for sign-language?!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »