Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:10
Italian to English
+ ...
Um... Oct 19, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
But the future is here! I don't know about Italy, but in Spain we are living an era in which every renovation of a street or square replaces proper big trees with bushes pruned in the form of trees, metal works, stone and cement.

For instance, I went to Seville last weekend, and the world-famous "Parque de Maria Luisa" looked like a thinning old-man's scalp! Less and less big trees for the last 20 years, as locals report. All because of some landscaper in charge of Seville's parks and who apparently does not believe in dense tree areas.

So the tree-less future I was announcing is here already.

Hate to point this out, but 1. you're describing one city, not all cities, and 2. there are fewer trees in that city, not no trees at all.

So, I remain to be convinced.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just count your blessings! Oct 19, 2010

ryancolm wrote:
Hate to point this out, but 1. you're describing one city, not all cities, and 2. there are fewer trees in that city, not no trees at all.
So, I remain to be convinced.

Maybe we have different expectations when it comes to the word "tree". To me, a "tree" is any species that grows taller than 4-5 meters by nature if you allow it to grow. Small decorative trees as planted today everywhere in Spain are not "trees": they hardly give any shadow, they don't cover the building in the very hot summer, and they are not tall enough to contain nests.

If your city has plenty of big trees and is planting and caring for new trees, just let me know where it is. I might consider moving there seeing the trend everywhere in Spain (and not only in Seville).

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:10
English to Thai
+ ...
Agree Oct 20, 2010

I agree in a way. But how can you suppress the natural desire of every person to have descendants? I think it is quite impossible. Having my two sons has been the best experience of my life and I wouldn't have agreed with any law prohibiting me from having children.

Natural desire is not what you can explain easily unless your have your own children.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Colin Ryan (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
Milan! Oct 20, 2010

Maybe we have different expectations when it comes to the word "tree". To me, a "tree" is any species that grows taller than 4-5 meters by nature if you allow it to grow. Small decorative trees as planted today everywhere in Spain are not "trees": they hardly give any shadow, they don't cover the building in the very hot summer, and they are not tall enough to contain nests.

That's how I define a tree as well. Has to be big enough to climb.

If your city has plenty of big trees and is planting and caring for new trees, just let me know where it is. I might consider moving there seeing the trend everywhere in Spain (and not only in Seville).

I don't know if the City of Milan are actively planting and caring for new trees, but there are plenty of old-growth trees here, and in most cities in Italy. Milan is famous for being something of a concrete jungle, but there are actually a lot of little green corners in it. After ten years here I'm almost starting to like the place.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Inhuman Oct 20, 2010

ryancolm wrote:
I don't know if the City of Milan are actively planting and caring for new trees, but there are plenty of old-growth trees here, and in most cities in Italy. Milan is famous for being something of a concrete jungle, but there are actually a lot of little green corners in it. After ten years here I'm almost starting to like the place.

Yes, I have been to Milan a couple of times (although over a decade ago), and personally think it is not human enough in the sense that it does not have enough trees.

We must make a firm stance towards planting of trees in our cities, or we will increasingly live in inhuman environments.

Colin Ryan (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
If we wanted to live among trees... Oct 20, 2010

...then we shouldn't have evolved from being monkeys, with all due respect.

But we did evolve, and now we have bricks and mortar, and global warming and all the rest of it. Every organism changes its environment to suit itself, and this ends up killing the organism; the only reason we can breathe Earth's atmosphere is because now-exti
... See more
...then we shouldn't have evolved from being monkeys, with all due respect.

But we did evolve, and now we have bricks and mortar, and global warming and all the rest of it. Every organism changes its environment to suit itself, and this ends up killing the organism; the only reason we can breathe Earth's atmosphere is because now-extinct species produced too much oxygen (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_catastrophe).

What I mean is, we are not destroying nature; we are a part of nature, and whatever we create will form the "beautiful wilderness" that will incubate the next species to rule the universe.

Not wishing to imply that we should pollute ad nauseam; just that eventual self-destruction seems to be inevitable.

What a cheerful thread this has turned out to be!

[Edited at 2010-10-20 10:41 GMT]
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:10
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dear Tomás... Oct 21, 2010

Sorry about coming back to this theme so late, the notification is not working for me at present, so I missed the reply.
juvera wrote:
The true catastrophy is the fact that we eat more, more, and more meat!

Nope.
The true catastrophy is the fact that we produce more, more and more people, who eat whatever is edible to survive and produce more, more and more people!

I agree in a way. But how can you suppress the natural desire of every person to have descendants? I think it is quite impossible. Having my two sons has been the best experience of my life and I wouldn't have agreed with any law prohibiting me from having children.

I agree with you. As it happens I also have two sons, and they are the focus of my life and giving me the greatest happiness I can have.

Children who are wanted and cared for are the future of human kind, but there are children who just happen because of ignorance, laziness, negligence, and these often also suffer through their childhood and even through adult life.

Laws and prohibitions are not the answer. Awakening the conscience of people and education would, but I am not so naive as to believe it is an achievable goal. The problem is, more people there are, more difficult it becomes.

The only thing I wish that we would spend as much effort on that problem as we do on other, somewhat less important issues in the world.

I apologise for intruding with this subject, as it is not really the subject of the thread, and I won't come back to it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grow salad in your window!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »