Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Oct 16, 2010

This is a true story!

Yesterday we planned a visit to a small theatre. They were about to perform "Don Hamlet", a modernised version of the Shakespeare classic settled in the world of the Mafia.

I had phoned and reserved two tickets. When my wife came home I told her: tickets are reserved.

A few moments later my phone rang, it was the theatre. The person was very sorry. There were not enough reservations for the evening, so the performance was cancelled.... See more
This is a true story!

Yesterday we planned a visit to a small theatre. They were about to perform "Don Hamlet", a modernised version of the Shakespeare classic settled in the world of the Mafia.

I had phoned and reserved two tickets. When my wife came home I told her: tickets are reserved.

A few moments later my phone rang, it was the theatre. The person was very sorry. There were not enough reservations for the evening, so the performance was cancelled.

I told my wife about it. We decided to look for another performance. On the net I found, that Q-Theatre had scheduled a performance of "A Perfect Day" written and directed by Jussi Nikkilä, a play with music about lonesome people living in different flats of the same building. There were tickets left.

So we drove to downtown Helsinki and got tickets. Great play, good actors.

During the intermission at the bar I asked her, did she like the play.

Oh, quite so, but why is it called Hamlet?

She had been waiting for The Ghost, forgetting that we had changed theatre.

The second part of the play was then still more enjoyable. And no-one died at the end.
Collapse

Mrudula Tambe
Mrudula Tambe  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:56
English to Marathi
+ ...
In memoriam
Better if you keep mum about the change that took place. Oct 16, 2010

Oh, quite so, but why is it called Hamlet?

She had been waiting for The Ghost, forgetting that we had changed theater.

It seems, she enjoyed the play more than you because curiosity and expectation about upcoming characters make the viewer enthusiastic. You should have told her that Ghost will be in "Part - 2" of this play which will take place next year...

[Edited at 2010-10-16 06:29 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:26
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Guest or Ghost Oct 16, 2010

I once attended a translators' meeting at which a native Russian speaker was asked: "Are you a member?". He replied: "No, I am a ghost". (The Russian for "guest" is "гост" (pronounced "gost").

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 10:26
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Ha ha. Oct 16, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:

I once attended a translators' meeting at which a native Russian speaker was asked: "Are you a member?". He replied: "No, I am a ghost". (The Russian for "guest" is "гост" (pronounced "gost").

The same word in Serbian for a guest ( = gost). It turned funny in English, true.

@ Heinrich: Has this happened because the ghost appearance is the only part of Hamlet she's familiar with or because she'd expected things to be so changed in a modernized version to the point of completely different characters and settings/storyline? I don't get what's the issue here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Waiting for the ghost

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »