Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]
Off topic: Things people ask you because you are (Brazilian, etc)
Thread poster: Nesrin
Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
chips + vinegar Oct 15, 2010

Steve Booth wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

My husband and I wanted to rent a car in Germany. After he picked his favorite one, he, apparently being an American, was asked:

"You can drive a stick shift?"

and mainly becasue there appears to be a lot of Americans who can't drive stick shift, (I have met many who have had to learn when they came to UK and have had to stress to car hire companies that we needed an automatic for some who refused to drive anything but)

I wondered until I tried. It's actually very good!
I gotta confess I'm always trying to get into the wrong side of a car whenever I am in the UK (going back and forth does not help). It's even more embarassing if it's a taxi: ooops no, the driver is here.

[Edited at 2010-10-15 12:06 GMT]

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Near/Not Near Oct 15, 2010

Callum Walker wrote:

The most common (annoying) thing I get asked is "where do you live?" followed by "is that near London?".

Now, I live in Lincolnshire, which is a quaint countryside county based in the East Midlands of England about 1 to 2 hours east of Nottingham (a place which some people may know)... but one thing it is NOT is NEAR LONDON!

I always reply "It's in the middle of the country on the East coast" - to which most will still reply: "Oh, so it's near London then." ----- No, it is not!

I also used to live in a town in Lincolnshire called Boston. The number of times which I have been asked "Oh, was it named after Boston in the US?" is uncountable. In fact, Boston UK was the place from which some the pilgrims travelling across to the US on the Mayflower departed (and founded Boston, MA). We do, however, have a village in Lincolnshire called New York - which WAS named after New York, USA!

The other comment I frequently get, especially in the US, is about my accent - how nice my British accent is! Personally, I would say that my British accent is not at all special - I have a nasty (in my opinion) Lincolnshire/East Midlands twang to my speech, which really grates, even on myself - it is a common pronunciation feature which a lot of people living in the countryside on the East of England suffer from!!

Oh yes, and everyone in England is supposed to have visited and have an intimate knowledge of Buckingham Palace and the Queen!

[Edited at 2010-10-15 11:39 GMT]

You gotta forgive us. People living in huge countries like Brazil tend to consider a 5 hour drive "near/not far". I was always amazed when my British friends said we were going somewhere "far" - only to find out they were talking about 45 minutes by train.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:18
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
On left driving Oct 15, 2010

Paula Borges wrote:
I gotta confess I'm always trying to get into the wrong side of a car whenever I am in the UK (going back and forth does not help). It's even more embarassing if it's a taxi: ooops no, the driver is here.

DW had an uncle who was a sales rep in the UK for many years and purchased a RHD car during his time there. Despite having done all driver ed and actual driving on LHD to that point, he said he never had an issue with getting used to being in a RHD car in the UK - he just had to remember that as the driver he always needed to be near the center line. It was only when he took the RHD car out of the UK and onto the continent that things got confusing.

[Edited at 2010-10-15 15:35 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Austrian? Oct 16, 2010

ryancolm wrote:

Rereading this thread has reminded me of the old jokes along the line of, "Did you know that Jesus was a [insert nationality here]?"

Jesus was definitely an Italian, I think, because he lived with his parents until he was in his thirties and his mother thought he was God.

Or maybe Jesus was an Irishman... after all, the last thing he asked for before dying was a drink.

Then again, maybe he was Greek... He was a carpenter, after all...

Hmm...

Jesus made wine from water too.

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
think yourself lucky Oct 18, 2010

Callum Walker wrote:

The most common (annoying) thing I get asked is "where do you live?" followed by "is that near London?".

Now, I live in Lincolnshire, which is a quaint countryside county based in the East Midlands of England about 1 to 2 hours east of Nottingham (a place which some people may know)... but one thing it is NOT is NEAR LONDON!

I always reply "It's in the middle of the country on the East coast" - to which most will still reply: "Oh, so it's near London then." ----- No, it is not!

I also used to live in a town in Lincolnshire called Boston. The number of times which I have been asked "Oh, was it named after Boston in the US?" is uncountable. In fact, Boston UK was the place from which some the pilgrims travelling across to the US on the Mayflower departed (and founded Boston, MA). We do, however, have a village in Lincolnshire called New York - which WAS named after New York, USA!

The other comment I frequently get, especially in the US, is about my accent - how nice my British accent is! Personally, I would say that my British accent is not at all special - I have a nasty (in my opinion) Lincolnshire/East Midlands twang to my speech, which really grates, even on myself - it is a common pronunciation feature which a lot of people living in the countryside on the East of England suffer from!!

Oh yes, and everyone in England is supposed to have visited and have an intimate knowledge of Buckingham Palace and the Queen!

[Edited at 2010-10-15 11:39 GMT]

they have heard of it i have long since given up so when asked where i am from i now give my hometown rather than where i live as it is a lot easier to explain

Wigan near manchester

than it is

Lincoln near nottingham - no
try sheffield, no
leicester still no
ok try east of the country still no
okay about 90 minutes from london by train, ah got it now what's it called again

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:18
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Huge countries - A different perception Oct 19, 2010

Paula Borges wrote:

People living in huge countries like Brazil tend to consider a 5 hour drive "near/not far". I was always amazed when my British friends said we were going somewhere "far" - only to find out they were talking about 45 minutes by train.

My best friend's daughter turned 16 this year and got her driver's license. Which spontaneously inspired her aunt in Germany to the following vacation plans for her own, underage children:

"Hey, the three kids will come visit you and (your daughter) can drive them from your place to San Francisco! This will be cool!"

We are talking about a 12 hour drive from Northern Oregon to California. But, but... that's only a few millimeters on the world map! That's close, right?

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 08:18
English to French
About French people Oct 19, 2010

Hello,

Here are some remarks/questions I had during my personal experiences in France , on the Internet or elsewhere

"How is Zidane doing?" (famous French soccer star..I have no idea: I don't like soccer...)

"Do all French people dislike the USA?" (that's the worst one...)

"Do French people drink a lot of wine?" (like we are all drunk)

These are the ones that I remember most...

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Heheee!!! I know a good one. Oct 19, 2010

How could I possibly forget about this gem:

Americans are convinced that Germans are decorating their Christmas trees with pickles. I am not making this up.

About 20 years ago a colleague of mine received a gift from a friend in the US, mailed to our office. It contained a Christmas tree ornament, shaped like a pickle. The packaging contained a leaflet "Certificate: Original German Christmas Pickle".

We were rolling under our desks with mirth. There is no s
... See more
How could I possibly forget about this gem:

Americans are convinced that Germans are decorating their Christmas trees with pickles. I am not making this up.

About 20 years ago a colleague of mine received a gift from a friend in the US, mailed to our office. It contained a Christmas tree ornament, shaped like a pickle. The packaging contained a leaflet "Certificate: Original German Christmas Pickle".

We were rolling under our desks with mirth. There is no such custom as hanging smelly pickles in any trees at any time.

Years later - as a tourist - I was invited for Christmas at an American family's home. They had a surprise for me. They had bought a particular tree ornament, extra for me - a pickle. I was supposed to search for it in their tree. "Huh?" "Well, it's a German custom, isn't it?"
Collapse

Ellis Jongsma
Ellis Jongsma  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:18
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
Weihnachtsgurke Oct 19, 2010

Intrigued as I was, I did a little research and found this page http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth11.htm . It explains a few possibilities to this myth.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
:-) :-) :-) Oct 19, 2010

Ellis Jongsma wrote:

Intrigued as I was, I did a little research and found this page http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth11.htm . It explains a few possibilities to this myth.

There is also not much going on in terms of "good luck charm for the rest of the year" on a Christian holiday.

Thanks for finding this article, Ellis!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Things people ask you because you are (Brazilian, etc)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »