Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2010

French:

I have a product that you are supposed to spray on your dogs (all natural - made of rosemary) to stop them from frequently itching (and subsequently injuring) specific parts on their body. In the American variety of English at least, these are called "hot spots". The French translation on the bottle translates "hot spots" as "endroits populaires" or "popular places" which I suspect may not fit this particular context. I wonder if "points chauds" would work any better??
... See more
French:

I have a product that you are supposed to spray on your dogs (all natural - made of rosemary) to stop them from frequently itching (and subsequently injuring) specific parts on their body. In the American variety of English at least, these are called "hot spots". The French translation on the bottle translates "hot spots" as "endroits populaires" or "popular places" which I suspect may not fit this particular context. I wonder if "points chauds" would work any better??

Spanish:
On a recent visit to my car mechanic, I noticed that someone (or perhaps something) had translated a sign informing customers of a possible 10% surcharge added to their bill in certain cases. Spanish speakers were informed that there may be a 10% extra charge on their "proyecto de ley". This is a "congressional bill" rather than an invoice (una factura). I wanted to inform them about their mistake, but I do not think they would understand what I am talking about.

There is a lot of construction going on in my area and there are numerous signs that read "WARNING! Power Lines Above" with an arrow pointing up to electrical power lines. The Spanish version provided below this reads "AVISO! Encima de las lineas electricas" or "WARNING! Above the power lines".

[Edited at 2010-07-23 13:50 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not that wrong, really Jul 23, 2010

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Hm... But the French translator was very considerate towards the true customers of the product: bacteria dwelling in the hot spots. After all, these spots are "endroits populaires" for bacteria, fleas, ticks, etc....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

More funny mistranslations

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »