Off topic: World Cup slogans
Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Baraa Ajaj (X)
Baraa Ajaj (X)
Local time: 15:33
English
+ ...
humm!!! Jun 15, 2010

I would like to take the same stand as the French captain and blame the Australian team loss on these terrible horns!!!

yesterday on the BBC was a very interesting debate about them and if they should be banned, one African guy suggested that Africans should show their culture in an another way, that these horrible noises are not the only symbol for African music and like he said " Let's chant instead"!!!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:33
English to Czech
+ ...
OT: vuvuzelas Jun 15, 2010

inocencia wrote:

Yesterday on the BBC was a very interesting debate about them and if they should be banned, one African guy suggested that Africans should show their culture in an another way, that these horrible noises are not the only symbol for African music and like he said " Let's chant instead"!!!

That would be a much better way. However, I'm afraid this World Cup will only be remembered because of the vuvuzelas (definitely not a positive reminiscence), because the football itself has been pretty mediocre so far.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Horns. Jun 15, 2010

I've seen a a lot of debates about vuvuzela, and now the most recent information is that they will not ban them ( which had been requested by many, both players and supporters), but will start producing quieter vuvuzelas instead , reduced by 20 decibels (LOL! as if that would help).

The previous version of vuvuzela was full 110 decibels. And the referee's whistle is 100 decibels, so allegedly the vuvuzela is louder, which got me think that they are also interfering with the technic
... See more
I've seen a a lot of debates about vuvuzela, and now the most recent information is that they will not ban them ( which had been requested by many, both players and supporters), but will start producing quieter vuvuzelas instead , reduced by 20 decibels (LOL! as if that would help).

The previous version of vuvuzela was full 110 decibels. And the referee's whistle is 100 decibels, so allegedly the vuvuzela is louder, which got me think that they are also interfering with the technical aspects of the game itself.

I appreciate they are the symbol of South-Africa but I've always loved to actually hear different songs and supporters slogans coming out of the supporters' crowds in different languages, and by different cultures expressing their respective national feelings. Those things should be heard at World Cup.

[Edited at 2010-06-15 20:58 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Saving energy Jun 15, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

because the football itself has been pretty mediocre so far.

I think they are saving energy because they will definitely need it when the real competition starts, beginning with quarter-finals.

Baraa Ajaj (X)
Baraa Ajaj (X)
Local time: 15:33
English
+ ...
so true Jun 15, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

That would be a much better way. However, I'm afraid this World Cup will only be remembered because of the vuvuzelas (definitely not a positive reminiscence), because the football itself has been pretty mediocre so far.

that's so true!!! let's wait and see what the Samba will offer tonight!!!

Ricardo Horta
Ricardo Horta  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ref's whistles Jun 15, 2010

I noticed that some refs are now blowing their whistle twice, not just once as usual. Sometimes it sounds like the final whistle, but it's not.

Vuvuzelas' sound, and I hope I don't offend South Africans, is NOT music, it's just noise and I know what I'm talking about, because the kids next door ALL have vuvuzelas and they like to get out of bed very early in the morning.

I'm all for a ban of Vuvuzelas in stadiums. Like someone said before, there is a lot people can do
... See more
I noticed that some refs are now blowing their whistle twice, not just once as usual. Sometimes it sounds like the final whistle, but it's not.

Vuvuzelas' sound, and I hope I don't offend South Africans, is NOT music, it's just noise and I know what I'm talking about, because the kids next door ALL have vuvuzelas and they like to get out of bed very early in the morning.

I'm all for a ban of Vuvuzelas in stadiums. Like someone said before, there is a lot people can do to show their culture, like singing or playing real instruments, like those Dutch guys.

Portugal's game starts in about an hour. Let's see if they show Côte d'Ivoire how to dance the fandango
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

World Cup slogans

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »