Off topic: Are there any Android or iPhone apps specifically for translators?
Thread poster: Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:33
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Jun 10, 2010

Dear All,

I'm about to change my smartphone and have pretty much decided on getting one running Android. The new iPhone is tempting as well but the lack of Flash support seems to be a problem for web browsing. I'm not exactly sure which one yet (Nexus One, HTC Desire and Milestone XT720 are my faves at the moment), but that's not really the point of this post. I was simply wondering whether there are any Android, or for that matter iPhone, apps specifically aimed at translators.
... See more
Dear All,

I'm about to change my smartphone and have pretty much decided on getting one running Android. The new iPhone is tempting as well but the lack of Flash support seems to be a problem for web browsing. I'm not exactly sure which one yet (Nexus One, HTC Desire and Milestone XT720 are my faves at the moment), but that's not really the point of this post. I was simply wondering whether there are any Android, or for that matter iPhone, apps specifically aimed at translators.

Andy

PS If anyone wants to comment on their experience with Android phones in general then I'm all ears... The Android 2.2 update (whenever it arrives) sounds to be pretty amazing if what I read on the web is true.
Collapse

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:33
German to English
No decent ones yet Jun 10, 2010

Last I checked (a month or two ago), the answer was no.

Personally, I'm waiting a bit to see the next round of smartphones before I jump in. Not just Apple and the Android gang either-- while I'm generally dubious about microsoft products, Windows Mobile 7 is apparently a big step forward and will probably integrate well with office software. RIM will also be released a new version of its software in Q3 (I'm currently on a BlackBerry. Great email, terrible browser).

Mo
... See more
Last I checked (a month or two ago), the answer was no.

Personally, I'm waiting a bit to see the next round of smartphones before I jump in. Not just Apple and the Android gang either-- while I'm generally dubious about microsoft products, Windows Mobile 7 is apparently a big step forward and will probably integrate well with office software. RIM will also be released a new version of its software in Q3 (I'm currently on a BlackBerry. Great email, terrible browser).

More food for thought: freetm.com, wordfast's free online translation platform, runs on javascript and hence is theoretically compatible with all of the high-end smartphones. I've tried it on my wife's iPhone and it was not a good fit. But a unit with a keyboard, where you're not giving up screen space to type, might work well with it. Test it out as you're trying out devices.

Good luck!

Steven

[Edited at 2010-06-10 15:03 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any Android or iPhone apps specifically for translators?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »