Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:57
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2010

Yesterday I had my son crawl into our plastic water butt to attach a new tap and it reminded me of an Italian film I saw many years ago (on TV I think). This made me want to watch it again, but I can't remember much about it. I would very much appreciate if anyone can give me a clue as to its name or any other info that might help me find it.

What I remember (or think I remember):

Set in Sicily
Directed by two Italian brothers, surname starts with T
Four st
... See more
Yesterday I had my son crawl into our plastic water butt to attach a new tap and it reminded me of an Italian film I saw many years ago (on TV I think). This made me want to watch it again, but I can't remember much about it. I would very much appreciate if anyone can give me a clue as to its name or any other info that might help me find it.

What I remember (or think I remember):

Set in Sicily
Directed by two Italian brothers, surname starts with T
Four stories connected by a falcon/hawk flying over the land
One story was about a barrel maker who builds a barrel around himself so that the padrone can't use it without first paying the barrel maker (this is what made me thinking about the film now, but the technique might also be amended to work for freelance translators...)

I'll also try posting in the Italian forum, but my Italian is somewhat limited so the posting might be a bit incomprehensible.
Collapse

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:57
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Piece by piece... Jun 6, 2010

The directors might have been the Taviani brothers?

I don't recall the film from what you are describing, but... might it be "Padre Padrone"?

Dinny

Darío Giménez
Darío Giménez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kaos - Taviani brothers Jun 6, 2010

This one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087537/

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:57
Italian to Danish
+ ...
No, got it! Jun 6, 2010

It must be the film "Kaos" ?

Dinny

P.S. Bravo, Dario! I didn´t see your reply before posting.

[Edited at 2010-06-06 11:48 GMT]

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dinny Jun 6, 2010

Taviani rings a bell, though the film I'm after is not Padre Padrone (though I remember I liking it). I'll do some more research on Taviani now.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both Jun 6, 2010

That's definitely the one. Now I'll have to find a way of getting a copy in the UK.

And you saved readers on the Italian forum from having to read my not too great Italian...

[Edited at 2010-06-06 12:15 GMT]

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Next question Jun 6, 2010

Anyone who knows how I can legally lay my hands on a copy? Preferably by downloading. I doubt my local Blockbusters has it in stock.

From Dario's link there's another link to amazon, but they only have two options: buy a US DVD which may or may not work in my DVD player or another supplier who's out of stock.

Trying to Google just gets me to a lot of bittorrents.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: post deleted by the poster
lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:57
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
kaos Jun 6, 2010

Go to google italia and write Kaos Taviani dvd – I found a lot of italian shops selling it.
The only problem is that the languages are italian and spanish – I didn’t find it in english.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Amazon UK Jun 6, 2010

On sale here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaos-Region-NTSC-DVD-US/dp/B00124SNIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1275833135&sr=1-1

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jun 6, 2010

Lidija - my Italian is probably enough, but I also want to force my half-Italian, but non-Italian speaking, son to watch.

Russell - could be a possibility, but I first have to work out if a US DVD will play on any of our machines. Even my above mentioned son doesn't appear to know the answer and he's in charge of all entertainment machines whilst I sort out computer related problems.

I found a short clip of "The Jar" online. Turns out it was a jar rather than a barrel a
... See more
Lidija - my Italian is probably enough, but I also want to force my half-Italian, but non-Italian speaking, son to watch.

Russell - could be a possibility, but I first have to work out if a US DVD will play on any of our machines. Even my above mentioned son doesn't appear to know the answer and he's in charge of all entertainment machines whilst I sort out computer related problems.

I found a short clip of "The Jar" online. Turns out it was a jar rather than a barrel and the jar maker ended up in it by mistake rather than intentionally. And it's he, the jar maker, who wants to break the jar to get out whilst the padrone is trying to stop him. The jar maker now sounds very much more like a freelance translator...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for an Italian film

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »