Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:16
German to English
+ ...
May 31, 2010

Mercer (I think they are Human-Resources consultants) has just published a survey with its ratings of the quality of life in 221 cities around the world. You can see Mercer's own summary here:
http://www.mercer.com/qualityofliving
According to this survey, the cities with the best quality of living include (with their numerical rankings):
1. Vienna
2. Zurich
3. Genev
... See more
Mercer (I think they are Human-Resources consultants) has just published a survey with its ratings of the quality of life in 221 cities around the world. You can see Mercer's own summary here:
http://www.mercer.com/qualityofliving
According to this survey, the cities with the best quality of living include (with their numerical rankings):
1. Vienna
2. Zurich
3. Geneva
4. Vancouver
5. Auckland
39. London
221. Baghdad

To assess the quality of living, about 30 criteria were used, listed here:
http://www.mercer.com/referencecontent.htm?idContent=1380465
and they included (just a few examples) crime, hospital services, public transport, food, housing, climate.
Based instead on solely ecological criteria (water, waste, atmosphere, congestion) the ranking is rather different, including
1. Calgary
2. Honolulu
3. Ottawa
13. Auckland
19. Zurich
25. Geneva
44. Vienna

Rankings 1-50 are shown here:
http://www.mercer.com/qualityoflivingpr#City_Ranking_Tables

Oliver
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I would choose... May 31, 2010

Cambridge, U.K.

Oliver Walter
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought so... May 31, 2010

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:
Cambridge, U.K.

When I saw that, I thought "I bet he lives in Cambridge!"

Vincenzo Di Maso
Vincenzo Di Maso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
I'd choose May 31, 2010

Vallée d'Aoste! But Lisboa has a good quality of life too

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 15:16
Dutch to English
+ ...
Calgary May 31, 2010

Calgary is a great city to live in but ...... this past weekend it was still snowing!

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:16
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Uppsala Jun 1, 2010

Uppsala Sweden

Jon O (X)
Jon O (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Vienna, really?? Jun 1, 2010

I currently live in Vienna and if this is the best the world has to offer, oh dear! 13C and rainy on 1st June.
I whisper it gently, but it seems to me that most of the cities near the top of the list are in places which one might regard as somewhat......boring.
If this ranking were termed the 'Comfort of Living Index' then perhaps its results might ring more true.

[Edited at 2010-06-01 09:26 GMT]

Oliver Walter
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Different criteria Jun 1, 2010

Jon O wrote:
I currently live in Vienna and if this is the best the world has to offer, oh dear! 13C and rainy on 1st June.

Well, here in north-west greater London it's 14C and rainy today, but it's not always like that. Earlier this year it has been -5C and a week or two ago it was 27C.
Jon O wrote:
I whisper it gently, but it seems to me that most of the cities near the top of the list are in places which one might regard as somewhat......boring.
If this ranking were termed the 'Comfort of Living Index' then perhaps its results might ring more true.

On one of the two web pages I mentioned, it does point out that the report concerns "quality of living" not "quality of life", and this report is in particular for companies who want to send staff to work in different countries and are considering, for example, how much to pay them. It claims "Mercer has designed an objective way of measuring quality of living for expatriates based on factors that people consider representative of quality of living."
To my knowledge, Vienna has at least good public transport, shopping, theatre and opera. I remember being there just after the new combined tram/underground system opened a new station near the Votivkirche in 1961 (perhaps 1962?).

Martin Stranak
Martin Stranak  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Quality of living Jun 1, 2010

Comparing the cost of housing versus its quality, the weather conditions and the travel and entertainment opportunities - I would trade my current location (London,UK) for Cape Town (RSA) immediately. Yet Europe still seems safer and closer to my homeland (Czech Republic). So I´d say the topic should be specified according to preferences or even age groups of individuals.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The best cities to live in

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »