Off topic: DIY-translation (servicing the family an friends)
Thread poster: Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:06
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
May 5, 2010

1) What do you do if you buy something without a manual in you language?
2) How often do your friends and family ask you to translate something?
3) Have you worked pro bono?

(Please, use the numbers to keep the thread compact.)

[Редактировалось 2010-05-05 19:54 GMT]

Lizette Britz
Lizette Britz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:06
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Let's see... May 5, 2010

1) What do you do if you buy something without a manual in you language?
If the manual is not in Spanish, I read it in English.

2) How often do your friends and family ask you to translate something?
I have only translated once for my family, and I have translated some recipes for friends.

3) Have you worked pro bono?
Yes, I collaborate with Aflatoun.org doing translation work for them. I find it very rewarding.

Liz

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:06
German to English
+ ...
Doesn't happen, yes, no May 6, 2010

1) The stuff I buy always has an English manual, but sometimes I read the German for fun if it's in there.

2) I have translated for family/friends occasionally - a birth certificate, passport, reading a document. Since they've been infrequent small jobs, it hasn't been a problem.

3) I don't do any pro bono work, but I volunteer as a board member of an organization and that work involves quite a few meetings and events as well as putting out a newsletter, so I wouldn't h
... See more
1) The stuff I buy always has an English manual, but sometimes I read the German for fun if it's in there.

2) I have translated for family/friends occasionally - a birth certificate, passport, reading a document. Since they've been infrequent small jobs, it hasn't been a problem.

3) I don't do any pro bono work, but I volunteer as a board member of an organization and that work involves quite a few meetings and events as well as putting out a newsletter, so I wouldn't have time to do any more translation on top of what I already do.
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
French to English
+ ...
Not an issue, infrequently, yes May 6, 2010

1) Not an issue: I read them in French or German. Has come in very useful when my all-in-one printer arrived without the fax manual. My son has a holiday job in Curry's and he managed to get a very good deal on a digital camera as a present for me because it only had the instructions in French! Mind you, he never reads the instructions on gadgets anyway - it seems to be a point of honour that he just plays around with it until he knows what everything does!

2) Yes, from time to time
... See more
1) Not an issue: I read them in French or German. Has come in very useful when my all-in-one printer arrived without the fax manual. My son has a holiday job in Curry's and he managed to get a very good deal on a digital camera as a present for me because it only had the instructions in French! Mind you, he never reads the instructions on gadgets anyway - it seems to be a point of honour that he just plays around with it until he knows what everything does!

2) Yes, from time to time - the odd letter here or there. I certainly don't feel abused!

3) Yes, if I've time. My other work takes priority, but if I can squeeze it in, I feel it's a way of giving something back.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DIY-translation (servicing the family an friends)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »