Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:19
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 21, 2010

I'm sure we've all twisted our tongue a few times these days trying to get that right (even with unhelpful phonetic transcriptions), so let's poke some fun at American TV presenters doing their best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q3YVkm8YJM (sorry, preceded by CBS ad)

And this, apparently, is how it really should soun
... See more
I'm sure we've all twisted our tongue a few times these days trying to get that right (even with unhelpful phonetic transcriptions), so let's poke some fun at American TV presenters doing their best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q3YVkm8YJM (sorry, preceded by CBS ad)

And this, apparently, is how it really should sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqXc8i8CvNs

Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:19
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
although Apr 21, 2010

although I still don't know how to pronounce it thanks for sharing it Nesrin

[Edited at 2010-04-21 20:52 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I forgot my yoghurt lol Apr 21, 2010

That language appears to be very phonetically demanding.

But I did spot one pattern, that double L creates a T in pronunciation ( at two places). The first L turns into a T and the second stays an L. Perhaps some Icelandic colleagues could confirm this.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:19
Swedish to English
+ ...
Where did the Ts come from? Apr 21, 2010

Since there are few Icelanders (less than 300,000), and I can't remember seeing any of them at ProZ, let me try an interpretation based on the common linguistic background of Norse languages, as well as being forced to read Icelandic (+ Danish and Norwegian) texts back in primary school a very long time ago.

Eyja = name
fjall(a) = mountain
jökull = glacier

Assuming that Icelandic also adds determiners to the end of words, and also assuming that nouns are ei
... See more
Since there are few Icelanders (less than 300,000), and I can't remember seeing any of them at ProZ, let me try an interpretation based on the common linguistic background of Norse languages, as well as being forced to read Icelandic (+ Danish and Norwegian) texts back in primary school a very long time ago.

Eyja = name
fjall(a) = mountain
jökull = glacier

Assuming that Icelandic also adds determiners to the end of words, and also assuming that nouns are either T or N words (we don't do gender based determiners in the liberated North), I guess I can account for those Ts that seem to confuse people:

Mountain name = Eyjafjall(a) - with determiner (assuming this is a T word) = Eyjafjallat
Glacier = Jökull = with determiner = Jökullet/at (although in Swedish this would definitely be an N word)

(sorry, still can't explain why there appears to be two determiners, after both "fjalla" and "jökull" - seems a bit much).

If you have problems with pronouncing, just say:

The glacier of the Eyja mountain
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:19
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Let's hope the next eruption will be easier on the tongue: Apr 22, 2010

Katla.
Cheers!
Heinrich

Tarja Braun
Tarja Braun  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to Finnish
+ ...
The double-ls are voiceless consonants Apr 22, 2010

I have a very basic knowledge of Icelandic (had a couple of courses at the university). Those double-ls sounding like t are voiceless consonants (there are voiceless ns in Icelandic as well). We had a lot of fun when we learned the pronunciation. Just try to pronounce a voiceless n (when you cannot do it properly) when you have a cold...

[Edited at 2010-04-22 07:56 GMT]

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:19
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Phonetic Pronunciation Apr 26, 2010

This week's issue of "Época" magazine has an article about the volcanic ash and also a phonetic pronunciation of Eyjafjallajökull, rendered as

ÊIA - FIÉTLAR - YÓGUT

Maybe some Icelandic colleagues can say if this is correct or not. For those not familiar with Portuguese accents, the circumflex accent indicates a closed vowel, so "êia" would rhyme with "sayer" (British pronunciation). The acute accent indicates a strong open vowel.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:19
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Eyjafjallajökull song and explanation May 8, 2010

I found this explanation (given by an Icelandic woman) about the correct pronunciation of Eyja...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEEXY6HrQ6Y&feature=related

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Eyjafjallajökull pronunciation fun

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »