Off topic: Classical music I should listen to before I die :-D
Thread poster: Yolanda Bello Olvera
Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:04
English
+ ...
Yes, but then aren't we moving into things you should experience before you die? Apr 3, 2010

Brian Young wrote:

Thanks Suzan
Yes, and not just "art", but sunrises, and pretty girls, and storms and lightening and....

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:04
Danish to English
Moving? No, remaining Apr 3, 2010

Where else can we be, but here, in life, alive?
Where else will we find flashing eyes
And sea shores crashing,
Trees moaning in the wind.
Where else can we paint our lives with blood,
And sweat and tears, and scratch the Earth,
And hold hands, and break our hearts,
Where else can we laugh, and cry
Where else can we die from?
This is it!

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
no, moving Apr 3, 2010

ey, so now we've moved from "which classical music before you die" to professional life coffee break poetry about live questions like "is there a death?" and "after it was, will there be a thought like 'was there a life?', if there really is a death?'" and lots of, indeed, very interesting questions.

later.

or interesting movement options. now. as long as still vivid.

still I return to the chewing thought gum about "what´s classical" and admit herewith
... See more
ey, so now we've moved from "which classical music before you die" to professional life coffee break poetry about live questions like "is there a death?" and "after it was, will there be a thought like 'was there a life?', if there really is a death?'" and lots of, indeed, very interesting questions.

later.

or interesting movement options. now. as long as still vivid.

still I return to the chewing thought gum about "what´s classical" and admit herewith that since yesterday I have a problem. on the one hand, there will be a last click possible to this handsome classical guy with his extremely interesting glasses and with a strong, brilliant text, playing a grand piano in an even more grand and extremely classical style.

on the other hand, there's a classical guitar. with an interesting text, too.

and now tell me: which click to choose if it's meant to be the last one?

not easy.

ps. actually, it will be not that complicated. I think, still I have a few days at least. I will have enough time for this text linked by j.h. yesterday in this thread (page 3 in this thread, posted by j.h. at 2:30...) - and will afterwards decide which text to set as having the top first reference in this individual definition question about classical music, as long books and poetry still can be read and listened to. (ok, so probably an occupational disease, this value of language in an individual definition, but...)

pps. btw. the question "is there a death?" and "after it was, will there be a thought like 'was there a life?', if there really is a death?'" is in fact interesting, because leading directly to next questions in the logics chain, questions like "and if so - if there really was a life after there really was a death - what kind of life was it? a 0.01-life or a 0.03-life? and if it turns out to have been a 0.01-life or a 0.025-life: was this really a life?

[Edited at 2010-04-03 22:54 GMT]
Collapse

sindy cremer
sindy cremer
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
What a great question! Apr 3, 2010

Here's my pick:

Richard Strauss: "Vier Letzte Lieder" (Four last Songs), particularly "Beim Schlafengehen" and "Im Abendrot", preferably sung by Jessye Norman, Soprano.

Rossini's "Stabat Mater" - I have a lovely version featuring Pilar Lorengar, soprano, and Luciano Pavarotti, tenor, and the London Symphony Orchestra and Choru directed by Istvan Kertész.

Pergolesi's "Stabat Mater" with Margaret Marshall, Soprano and Lucia Valentini Terrani, Contralto; the
... See more
Here's my pick:

Richard Strauss: "Vier Letzte Lieder" (Four last Songs), particularly "Beim Schlafengehen" and "Im Abendrot", preferably sung by Jessye Norman, Soprano.

Rossini's "Stabat Mater" - I have a lovely version featuring Pilar Lorengar, soprano, and Luciano Pavarotti, tenor, and the London Symphony Orchestra and Choru directed by Istvan Kertész.

Pergolesi's "Stabat Mater" with Margaret Marshall, Soprano and Lucia Valentini Terrani, Contralto; the London Symphony Orchestra directed by Claudio Abbado.

Händel's "Ode for St. Cecilia's Day": Felicia Lott, Soprano; Anthony Rolfe Johnson, Tenor, The English Concert (on authentic instruments) and the English Concert Choir, directed by Trevor Pinnock.

Mozart's "Great" Mass in C Minor, K427: Arleen Auger, Soprano; Frederica von Stade, Mezzosoprano, Frank Lopardo, Tenor; Cornelius Hauptmann, Bass; Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks and Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks directed by Leonard Bernstein.

Kiri te Kanawa performing Mozart: Exsultate Jubilate, Vesperae Solennes de Confessore, Kyrie in D minor, Ave Verum Corpus; London Symphony Orch. directed by Sir Colin Davis.

There is so much more....!

And for something ENTIRELY DIFFERENT: try Pat Metheny, one of the most versatile guitarists of the day...! Albums I would recommend (from the 40-something I have (=almost everything he has produced until now)) include "Map of the World", "Secret Story", "As falls Witchita...", "Imaginary Day", "Letter from Home"...

Enjoy!
Collapse

Brian Young
United States
Danish to English
great suggestions Apr 3, 2010

Thanks Sindy for some great suggestions. It will take for ever to get through all of this, and the journey will be worth it, even if the endless list is never finished.
And for reading, John Donne, almost anything, beautiful beyond words
And for seeing, sunrise at Tongariki!

Esteban Flamini
Esteban Flamini  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bach 5th Brandenburg Concert Apr 4, 2010

What an excellent question! I will myself check the answers, as I am also looking for a "before I die" list

Many colleagues have cited Bach (Totally agree!). May I suggest his Brandenburg Concertos, especially the 5th one? (The harpsichord "cadenza" --solo-- of its first movement is one of the most exciting pieces of music I have ever heard.) Hope you like it!

Brian Young
United States
Danish to English
Bach, and olive oil Apr 4, 2010

I never mentioned Bach, but that would be like saying "remember to breath the air". Yes, Bach has so much to offer, I guess I just assumed he would be on everyone's list.
And olive oil?
Well, those who live in southern Europe, or South America, you don't have this problem.
I meant, we talked about music, and then books, and then what for your eyes, and I thought, but what for your taste, and I thought about that simple gift, real olive oil.
Here in North America you can'
... See more
I never mentioned Bach, but that would be like saying "remember to breath the air". Yes, Bach has so much to offer, I guess I just assumed he would be on everyone's list.
And olive oil?
Well, those who live in southern Europe, or South America, you don't have this problem.
I meant, we talked about music, and then books, and then what for your eyes, and I thought, but what for your taste, and I thought about that simple gift, real olive oil.
Here in North America you can't find it. There is an endless variety on the shelves, and it all tastes like Castor oil. I was in Santiago recently, and ordered a salad at a cafe, and it was served with olive oil,and then I realized I had not had real olive oil in over forty years, and didn't even know it. Such a simple gift!
Collapse

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
BBM rules Apr 4, 2010

BBM still rules the classical definition, as it seems. of course, interesting, but...
...what would you answer, finally? was it a life if it was a 0.0123-life?

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:04
German to English
+ ...
Talk about death Apr 4, 2010

The most recent broadcast (1 April 2010) of the popular science programme Einstein on Swiss TV was about death. I found it interesting and quite moving in parts (probably because my mother died last year) and it was followed by a chat of questions and answers (from relevant professionals) about death, that you can read here (it is in ... See more
The most recent broadcast (1 April 2010) of the popular science programme Einstein on Swiss TV was about death. I found it interesting and quite moving in parts (probably because my mother died last year) and it was followed by a chat of questions and answers (from relevant professionals) about death, that you can read here (it is in German)

http://www-internet.sf.tv/livechat/pages/chat_archiv.php?m=ein&c=450

The programme itself (about 35 minutes) is also available here:
http://videoportal.sf.tv/video?id=39806196-14ba-47d2-b1f9-615b8a14224b&referrer=http://www.sf.tv/sendungen/einstein/index.php

but be aware: most of it is in Swiss German dialect.

Oliver
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:04
Italian to English
I'm with you Kardi Apr 4, 2010

Kardi Kho wrote:

one of my all-time favourites is Rachmaninov’s Second Piano Concerto

One of my favourites too.

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
ok a... 0.0182- or a 0.021-broadcast? Apr 4, 2010

ok, I see... but was it a 0.0182-broadcast about a 0.0127-death after a 0.0127-life or was it a 0.30-broadc
... See more

ok, I see... but was it a 0.0182-broadcast about a 0.0127-death after a 0.0127-life or was it a 0.30-broadcast about a 0.092-life? or about a 0.27-death? and what about you, Russell? was it a 0.0115-CD with rachmaninov? or will it be a 0.0115-rachmaninov next year if we don't move? will the classical CD prices adjust with the classical "market freedom" prices in translation industry next year, if we don't act? and if not - what about the contemporary classical piece of bread?

[Edited at 2010-04-04 18:15 GMT]
Collapse

Brian Young
United States
Danish to English
rope Apr 4, 2010

give a fool enough rope and he will end up hanging himself

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
knot Apr 5, 2010

but who makes the knot, brian.

a 0.01-"I can do it"-poster is fool enough to shout his/her "give it! I'll love to be your slave!". that is a rope, in fact.

but who makes the knot.

[Edited at 2010-04-05 00:06 GMT]

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:04
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My List Apr 5, 2010

Bach Orchestral Suites
Bach Mass in B Minor
Bach Piano Concerto no. in Dm
Fauré Requiem
Vivaldi Stabat Mater
Ravel Quartet in F
Berlioz Requiem
Erik Satie - Gymnopédie no. 1
Any Rameau music for harpsichord

There are lots more, of course, but I can't think of them at the moment. And many wonderful operas, too.

Brian Young
United States
Danish to English
Danish sacred music Apr 5, 2010

In 2008 I was lucky enough to hear a performance of Danish sacred music in Nakskov, and it was one of the most moving experiences of my life. It doesn't matter what your own particular spiritual or religious affiliations are (or aren't). I am sure all cultures have a lot to offer in this way.
And opera, there is so much there, Carmen just to start with.
I have actually copied and pasted all of these great suggestions into a document. Thanks to all who have posted.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Classical music I should listen to before I die :-D

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »