Off topic: Flood Catastrophe on Madeira
Thread poster: Jonathan MacKerron
Jonathan MacKerron
Jonathan MacKerron  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2010

I would like to take this opportunity to send my condolences to the Madeiran people in particular, and to all other Portuguese who take part in this forum.
Please know that anyone who has ever been to this unique island is today in mourning.
Having had the pleasure of visiting Madeira countless times, I have great admiration for that unique island and its fine people. How saddening it has been to watch the shocking news footage of so many places I know so well being totally destroye
... See more
I would like to take this opportunity to send my condolences to the Madeiran people in particular, and to all other Portuguese who take part in this forum.
Please know that anyone who has ever been to this unique island is today in mourning.
Having had the pleasure of visiting Madeira countless times, I have great admiration for that unique island and its fine people. How saddening it has been to watch the shocking news footage of so many places I know so well being totally destroyed by water and sludge. An enormous loss of life of this kind is a great blow to a small, close-knit community such as Madeira. Even today several people are not accounted for, they may have even been swept out to sea by the flood torrents, probably never to be heard from again.
I send particular greetings to the people of Funchal, Porto Moniz, Santa Cruz, Machico, Ribeira Brava, and Ponta Delgada, towns where I have spent many happy times over the years.
JM

Here more information for those interested:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1252521/Madeira-floods-killed-British-mother-50-claim-74-lives-death-toll-continues-rise.html

[Edited at 2010-02-24 15:54 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flood Catastrophe on Madeira

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »