Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:57
English to Polish
+ ...
well Feb 22, 2010

Michiel Leeuwenburgh wrote:

The symbolic value of gold greatly outweighs its practical value. My point is that banks all over the world are sitting on a symbol. And as you rightly pointed out, Tomás, its value is dependent on its demand. I am convinced that while the material itself is relatively stable, its value is not eternal. What if mankind would, over time, evolve into a less materialistic society (not anytime soon, but who knows), less devoted to jewelry and more to other values?

Non-investment demand for gold is not just about bling. Adventurer divers are hell bent on finding gold in sunken ships, despite the fact that it's been in salt water for thousands of years. Likewise, you don't want your fiance's engagement ring to change colour over the years, do you. Doesn't matter if the stability is not eternal. There's no real competition, except for platinum, which is even more expensive, and silver, which is inferior and thus (at present) 60-70 times cheaper.

Plus, even if it was just about the bling, the bling has had its appeal since the inception of human civilisation. In contrast, the present system of fiat money has only been in place for about 40 years.

[Edited at 2010-02-22 14:59 GMT]

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:57
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
More grist to the mill Feb 22, 2010

http://www.diwanpress.com/bankingextract.html

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
In fact, most of us are all using illusory money nowadays. Feb 22, 2010

One case: A customer pays you $120.oo dollars for a short job (they took this amount from their bank account through Internet). With this amount you buy a whole year subscription to Proz.com (on the Internet).

Another case: I pay my bills through bank transfers using Internet. These companies pay their employees by bank transfers to their debit cards. These employees go to the grocery store and pay with their debit cards.

Where is the money? In fact, nobody saw it.
... See more
One case: A customer pays you $120.oo dollars for a short job (they took this amount from their bank account through Internet). With this amount you buy a whole year subscription to Proz.com (on the Internet).

Another case: I pay my bills through bank transfers using Internet. These companies pay their employees by bank transfers to their debit cards. These employees go to the grocery store and pay with their debit cards.

Where is the money? In fact, nobody saw it.

(Just to mention two cases.)
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:27
German to English
Living without money Feb 23, 2010

I've been reading a lot about people who are trying to live on less recently, for various reasons.

Here's a video from the Guardian "The No Money Man"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/video/2010/jan/25/mark-boyle-no-money-man

It would be great if one could actually do this, but I wonder how long anyone can survive
... See more
I've been reading a lot about people who are trying to live on less recently, for various reasons.

Here's a video from the Guardian "The No Money Man"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/video/2010/jan/25/mark-boyle-no-money-man

It would be great if one could actually do this, but I wonder how long anyone can survive without money.
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
There seem to two strains here Feb 23, 2010

One is the option of living without any form of money, which a lot of people have been describing.

The other is the need for a type of money that has intrinsic value, eg. gold, that would put the global economy of a more stable footing.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An interesting article: money is just an illusion

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »