Off topic: Article in NY Times regarding the elimination of some Chinese characters
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2010

This was an interesting article in the New York Times about the elimination of some Chinese characters:

Click here for full article:
That Character is Not on Our List

[Edite
... See more
This was an interesting article in the New York Times about the elimination of some Chinese characters:

Click here for full article:
That Character is Not on Our List

[Edited at 2010-02-12 00:41 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Zhang
Henry Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
confusing Feb 12, 2010

As a Chinese, it confuses me when three horses (Mas) coming together..

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Chinese names Feb 12, 2010

According to the article, parents are trying to make their children stand out by using obscure Chinese characters to write their names. The problem is that now these characters are not recognized by computer software. According to the article, only 100 surnames represent 85% of the Chinese population and there are enough people named Zhang Wei, for example, to fill the city of Pittsburgh. Using an obscure character to represent their name allows people to stand out and differentiate themselves.<... See more
According to the article, parents are trying to make their children stand out by using obscure Chinese characters to write their names. The problem is that now these characters are not recognized by computer software. According to the article, only 100 surnames represent 85% of the Chinese population and there are enough people named Zhang Wei, for example, to fill the city of Pittsburgh. Using an obscure character to represent their name allows people to stand out and differentiate themselves.

"“Ma,” a Chinese character for horse, is the 13th most common family name in China, shared by nearly 17 million people. That can cause no end of confusion when Mas get together, especially if those Mas also share the same given name, as many Chinese do.

Ma Cheng’s book-loving grandfather came up with an elegant solution to this common problem. Twenty-six years ago, when his granddaughter was born, he combed through his library of Chinese dictionaries and lighted upon a character pronounced “cheng.” Cheng, which means galloping steeds, looks just like the character for horse, except that it is condensed and written three times in a row. "

Henry Zhang wrote:

As a Chinese, it confuses me when three horses (Mas) coming together..

[Edited at 2010-02-12 01:16 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Cheng" character Feb 12, 2010

Also: The original "cheng" character probably did not use the simplified version of the horse character...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:56
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What do you mean to say? Feb 12, 2010

Jeff, what did you mean to say by this forum? Was this purely a linguistic information or did you mean to say something else?

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Those characters are not of any use in the modern Chinese language Feb 12, 2010

It's weired for her grandfather to give her such a name that no one understands and is able to pronounce.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:56
English to Polish
+ ...
wow Feb 12, 2010

I can't but wonder how languages are born.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, which I can do little about, and shauvinistic, which I am anything but, may I suggest that 24 short characters combinable into millions of words may be a little more efficient than fifty thousand symbols so complicated that it's only practical to use one or two per name?

How may characters, in total, do the Chinese actually use?

[Edited at 2010-02-12 12:43 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Linguistics Feb 12, 2010

No, my interests are purely linguistic. I study Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Arabic and Navajo in my spare time.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Jeff, what did you mean to say by this forum? Was this purely a linguistic information or did you mean to say something else?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article in NY Times regarding the elimination of some Chinese characters

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »