Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:00
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Inadequate language Jan 27, 2010

Radovan Pletka wrote:
Rejecting the interview was petty and stupid. It was definitely at or above par with other stuff you publish in Chronicle. But as the proof of the pudding is in the eating, here the proof of amicable relationship you claim in this case will be in the reading the next interview with Henry in Chronicle (smile).

Honestly, this kind of language is far from being adequate in my opinion, and sounds like there are motives other than the interview to use this level of expression. You might agree or disagree with the line followed by the ATA and The Chronicle, but there are certainly much better ways of expressing your discontent.

May I also mention that, as an ATA member and an ATA-certified translator, using pages of The Chronicle to publish the results of schmoozing our industry's entrepreneurs would seem like a waste of my time (and my money as an ATA member).

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
My three cents Jan 27, 2010

I read the article with interest and was stunned when it ended so quickly. It was, to me, more like an appetiser than the whole meal.
I know nothing about ATA but I suspect, from my experience with the material published by other similar associations in Europe, that the article was rejected because a) it was not meaty enough (it was good but only as far as it went), b) it was more like an advertorial than a hard-hitting interview...
I am surprised at the comments "offensive" and "con
... See more
I read the article with interest and was stunned when it ended so quickly. It was, to me, more like an appetiser than the whole meal.
I know nothing about ATA but I suspect, from my experience with the material published by other similar associations in Europe, that the article was rejected because a) it was not meaty enough (it was good but only as far as it went), b) it was more like an advertorial than a hard-hitting interview...
I am surprised at the comments "offensive" and "confrontational" - I would have thought that it could have been more of both with no ill effect.
As to the comments made in this forum about "significant minorities", I would have thought that such remarks would have been singing from the hymn sheet of any non-commercial association of illustrious members of the profession (!)
Collapse

Radovan Pletka
Radovan Pletka  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:00
English to Czech
+ ...
Inadequate language - are you kidding? Jan 27, 2010

ITI published the article without problems, so you are saying that they don't know English (smile). Give me a break.
ATA was historically very bad in managing their PR, and this looks like another disaster in making. Kevin Hendzel was quite good in managing ATA PR, and therefore I doubt he was involved in this disaster.
Proz is 800 pound gorilla in translation market, whether we like it or not, and ignoring it is petty and stupid and ATA will live to regret it.
ATA and PROZ mem
... See more
ITI published the article without problems, so you are saying that they don't know English (smile). Give me a break.
ATA was historically very bad in managing their PR, and this looks like another disaster in making. Kevin Hendzel was quite good in managing ATA PR, and therefore I doubt he was involved in this disaster.
Proz is 800 pound gorilla in translation market, whether we like it or not, and ignoring it is petty and stupid and ATA will live to regret it.
ATA and PROZ membership cost roughly the same amount of money.
I pay both, but I am getting much more from PROZ than from ATA.
Unles ATA starts to do more, they will go out of business soon or later, and rightly so.
Times are changing and ATA is not changing.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see the future here (smile)

R. Pletka
Proz and ATA member
owner
www.jobsfortranslators.com
(free site, 5000+ translators)
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clearly different things Jan 27, 2010

Radovan Pletka wrote:

I did not mean the article, but your language in the message to Jiri actually ("petty and stupid").

Proz is 800 pound gorilla in translation market, whether we like it or not, and ignoring it is petty and stupid and ATA will live to regret it. ATA and PROZ membership cost roughly the same amount of money. I pay both, but I am getting much more from PROZ than from ATA.

I think that everyone should manage their business wisely. Why are you an ATA member if you feel that you don't receive enough in return?

I am a member of both ATA and Proz.com as well, but am very aware of the nature of each of them. ATA is an association, and therefore has a responsibility in being the frontline of our profession in the US. I like it when they do it nice and slow, and there is another interesting fact: if you don't like the course ATA is taking, as a member you can run for director and do things differently... if a reasonable amount of other members feel the same way. ATA is "owned" by us all the members.

On the other hand Proz.com is a business, and their owners can do as they please and see fit for their profits. If I don't like the course Proz.com follows in the future, my only option is to stop paying. I cannot run for a director position to change things, and would not want to really.

I use Proz.com as a way to advertise my services, share views with colleagues, and have fun. And I want ATA to represent my profession as a whole. Both are doing their job, and it would be odd to expect a company to represent my profession or think that an association's main role should be to deliver entertainment.

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Inappropriate Jan 27, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Honestly, this kind of language is far from being adequate in my opinion, and sounds like there are motives other than the interview to use this level of expression. You might agree or disagree with the line followed by the ATA and The Chronicle, but there are certainly much better ways of expressing your discontent.

May I also mention that, as an ATA member and an ATA-certified translator, using pages of The Chronicle to publish the results of schmoozing our industry's entrepreneurs would seem like a waste of my time (and my money as an ATA member).

I agree 100%: regardless of what you think of ATA's position on the interview (which in my view was short and unsatisfying), using such language is inappropriate.

I might add that using it in this forum it could get your posting deleted (not that I personally agree with such censorship, but...).

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
threat Jan 28, 2010

Radovan Pletka wrote:

I couln't but notice you talk of ATA and Proz as equals. They are not, and Tomás explained it very well. And your last words in the above sentence resemble a threat to me.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Adversarial view Jan 28, 2010

Radovan Pletka wrote:

I couln't but notice you talk of ATA and Proz as equals. They are not, and Tomás explained it very well. And your last words in the above sentence resemble a threat to me, which is at least inappropriate.

[Edited at 2010-01-28 14:48 GMT]

British Diana
British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
What I would have asked Henry D... Jan 28, 2010

I enjoyed the interview (but then, I'm a ProZ fan and have never even heard of ATA unless it was a sort of scouring powder in the GDR), but I think that Phil missed out on asking some things I am dying to know - and as a certain Henry D. ("Site Founder" in green) has posted on this thread, I just hope the man himself is still lurking and will explain how and why he came up with all these puzzling expressions, such as:

ProZ
KudoZ
and BrowniZ

Has the
... See more
I enjoyed the interview (but then, I'm a ProZ fan and have never even heard of ATA unless it was a sort of scouring powder in the GDR), but I think that Phil missed out on asking some things I am dying to know - and as a certain Henry D. ("Site Founder" in green) has posted on this thread, I just hope the man himself is still lurking and will explain how and why he came up with all these puzzling expressions, such as:

ProZ
KudoZ
and BrowniZ

Has the first anything to do with "prose" (although one can translate verse, too)
the second with "kudos" (a Greek word meaning praise)
and the third ??? this stumps me - surely not some sort of American chocolate cake?
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jan 29, 2010

Have you never heard of brownie points? As in cubs, scouts and brownies?

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
All of these can be explained with an English dictionary Jan 29, 2010

British Diana wrote:

ProZ
KudoZ
and BrowniZ

Has the first anything to do with "prose" (although one can translate verse, too)
the second with "kudos" (a Greek word meaning praise)
and the third ??? this stumps me - surely not some sort of American chocolate cake?

No mystery, and no desserts involved:

pro = : PROFESSIONAL *a golf pro*
kudos = 2 : praise given for achievement
brownie point = a credit regarded as earned especially by currying favor (as with a superior)

The final letter "s" has simply been turned into a Z.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What came first? Jan 29, 2010

ProZ or the Bratz dolls?

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your comments. Feb 4, 2010

Several people expressed disappointment that the interview was too short, which I feel was missing the point. It was modelled on those light-hearted "twenty questions"-type features that you see in the Sunday supplements, and was intended just to give a flavor of the guy and what makes him tick. It was not intended as an in-depth discussion of the future of the translation industry. So I make no apologies for its brevity,and I'm glad that most people seem to have enjoyed it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interview with Henry Dotterer, founder of ProZ

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »