Is it just me? (I hate online direct translation tools)
Thread poster: tluna
tluna
tluna
Italy
Local time: 06:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 21, 2010

Hi everyone....

I think I just need to vent a little and I do hope you will grant me this bit.
I do offer my services (much of it on a as a volunteer) at a local office which offers mentoring in the difficult jungle of job-hunting.

As you all may know, it is getting harder and harder to find a job and to be granted an ongoing cooperation. However, I have noticed that may of the potential candidates have the tendency to over estimated their professional skills...... See more
Hi everyone....

I think I just need to vent a little and I do hope you will grant me this bit.
I do offer my services (much of it on a as a volunteer) at a local office which offers mentoring in the difficult jungle of job-hunting.

As you all may know, it is getting harder and harder to find a job and to be granted an ongoing cooperation. However, I have noticed that may of the potential candidates have the tendency to over estimated their professional skills...
Having said this... I often offer my tutoring service in the creation of resumes and cover letters both in English and in Italian. However, I often have to "impose" my help on people that think that their resume can be transposed in a totally different language by simply using online tools (such as google translate and others)....
Am I just overreacting or isn't this a big NO-NO???
Isn't your resume your primary business card? Shouldn't it reflect your actual skills and your ability to word it right?
Or is it because I am simply so passionate about languages?
Am I being too harsh?
Enough said....
Have a nice day,
Tania
Collapse

Caroline SCOTT (X)
Caroline SCOTT (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
I agree with you! Jan 22, 2010

Hello Tania,

You are so right to advise not to use Google translation. Like I’ve said to some of my clients who’ve asked me, Google translation is fine if you want to understand the general idea of a text, but since there are many errors, mistranslations, it can be very dangerous to use these online tools for any type of written documents (be an email, a résumé, a business case, a contract etc.). And like you’ve said, a résumé is the first thing a potential employer will s
... See more
Hello Tania,

You are so right to advise not to use Google translation. Like I’ve said to some of my clients who’ve asked me, Google translation is fine if you want to understand the general idea of a text, but since there are many errors, mistranslations, it can be very dangerous to use these online tools for any type of written documents (be an email, a résumé, a business case, a contract etc.). And like you’ve said, a résumé is the first thing a potential employer will see. It will go straight to the bin if they start seeing weird things or mistakes. You could tell your candidates to test it for themselves: they should take a text written in a foreign language, use Google translation to translate it into their mother tongue. Then, they can see for themselves. And you can tell them that laughing at least once a day is good for your health!

Good luck Tania and don’t give up!
Caroline
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:56
German to English
+ ...
Water finds its own level Jan 22, 2010

Anyone wise enough to use online MT should enjoy its benefit without hindrance

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Jan 22, 2010

Kevin Lossner wrote:
Anyone wise enough to use online MT should enjoy its benefit without hindrance

I entirely agree!

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 21:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Frankly, I don't think they deserve your help. Jan 22, 2010

tluna wrote:
I often have to "impose" my help on people that think that their resume can be transposed in a totally different language by simply using online tools (such as google translate and others)....

You are being very generous indeed by imposing your help on these people. And while generosity to a fellow human being is admirable, not everyone deserves to be a recipient of it.

Save you time and effort on helping those who are wise enough to realize they might benefit from some help. As to those who don't realize it - let them learn the hard way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it just me? (I hate online direct translation tools)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »