Off topic: What are the 10 important days in translation history?
Thread poster: Sumit Sarkar
Sumit Sarkar
Sumit Sarkar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:59
English to Bengali
+ ...
Jan 10, 2010

Hi friends of proz,

I am interested to know ten important day to remember in translation history. Actually I am not asking this question exclusively about proz history. I wish to know it in general. If possible I would like to know the references linked to that answer.

Thank u everybody.

Susana Valdez
Susana Valdez  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:29
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Important references in (Descriptive) Translation Studies History Jan 10, 2010

The two main events that for me changed Translation Studies are:

1988 - J. S. Holmes writes an article that nowadays is considered the founder of Translation Studies
1990 - Even‐Zohar publishes the polysystem theory

Of course, I have to mention all the work of Gideon Toury - without his work nothing would be the same.

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 08:29
English to Russian
+ ...
Destruction of the Tower of Babel Jan 10, 2010

Number 1 on the list

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Bible translation Jan 10, 2010

Among the most important translations I would include:
- Vulgata (St Jerome)
- Luther's
- St James Bible and for Polish
- Translation by Jakub Wujek

I think these translations significantly influenced target languages andthe way people speak and think.

Cheers
Stanislaw

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Impact on translation itself Jan 10, 2010

Sumit1970 wrote:
I am interested to know ten important day to remember in translation history.

I think any such list of days should reflect events that had an impact on translation itself. For this reason I would not consider many of the great Bible translations to be candidates for the list because their translations did not have much effect on further translation or the public's and academia's regard for translation. Even if a translation reached many, many people and had a great effect on history, I would not consider it for such a list unless the event affected *translation* in a great way.

In some cases, I suspect that there wasn't a single, big event but rather a series of smaller events that had an impact on translation. In such cases cases it may be an idea to list the first of such events, even if that event alone did not have a particularly large influence in itself. I'm thinking of the first CAT tool, the first MT system, etc.

You can also ask which modern theorists had the greatest influence which resulted in a *change* in the way we see translation or deal with translation. The first publication of Saussure's lectures may be such an event.

I wonder if the invention of moveable type shouldn't be on the list as well. And this lead to the question of how narrow you would define "translation". Would you exclude printing practice, general linguistics, semantics, etc?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Language specific Jan 10, 2010

Every language has its own history of translation, and events in other languages may have no impact on it. For Finnish the translations of Mikael Agricola are the founding stones for the development of the Finnish literature. But who has heard of Agricola outside Finland?
Regards
Heinrich

Alexandra Krah
Alexandra Krah  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Romanian
+ ...
Agree Jan 10, 2010

(Destruction of the Tower of Babel)
Valery Kaminski wrote:

Number 1 on the list

Maybe there is such event in Buddism too...

Sumit Sarkar
Sumit Sarkar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:59
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dont forget William Kerri Jan 10, 2010

Thank u all responders. It was interesting and thought provoking.

Well in line with Mr. Stanislaw Czech I would like to mention the name of William Kerri. He came to Bengal to preach Christianity as a religion and invented type setting of Bengali language. Apart form his motive of translating Bible, it no doubt helped flourishing Bengali language also.

But as Mr. Heinrich Pesch commented, I also would like to add, Who else knows William Kerri outside Bengal?
... See more
Thank u all responders. It was interesting and thought provoking.

Well in line with Mr. Stanislaw Czech I would like to mention the name of William Kerri. He came to Bengal to preach Christianity as a religion and invented type setting of Bengali language. Apart form his motive of translating Bible, it no doubt helped flourishing Bengali language also.

But as Mr. Heinrich Pesch commented, I also would like to add, Who else knows William Kerri outside Bengal?

Let us start knowing all of the great contributors.

[Edited at 2010-01-10 15:23 GMT]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
about 30,000 words Jan 10, 2010

Hi! and fully upfront paid. ha:-) Brandis

Fedot L
Fedot L
Russian to French
+ ...
“Перегрузка” (“Overload”) proposed thanks to translators Jan 10, 2010

State Department's translators made Mrs. Clinton propose to Russia “PEREGRUZKA” (in Russian “ПЕРЕГРУЗКА”) (“overload”) instead of “PEREZAGRUZKA” (in Russian “ПЕРЕЗАГРУЗКА”) (“reset”, “reload”, “reboot”, “restart”) of relations:

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
dredging the memory Jan 11, 2010

trying to think back to when i studied History of Translation at Uni, the names/events/places that come to mind are: Sir Thomas More, Baghdad School of Translation, the ALPAC report, Bar-Hillel report, William Tyndale (who, according to family legend, I am indirectly descended from!), Toledo, the internet, Cosimo de Medici...

But I can't remember anything in particular about any of them, so sorry about that!

Birthe Omark
Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Then Rosetta Stone Jan 11, 2010

The discovery in 1799 of the Rosetta Stone from 196 BC with the same text in 3 languages, and providing the key to deciphering the hieroglyphs.

Birthe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the 10 important days in translation history?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »