Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2009

My mother is going to be 90 years old next month, and my wife and I shall be travelling to the UK to be with her. The problem is we don't know what to buy as a present for her on this great occasion. It would have to be something not too bulky as it shall be loaded onto two flights between São Paulo and the UK. My mother is young at heart and is very active for her age (she even drives a car very well). Any suggestions would be welcome.

Anja Weggel
Anja Weggel  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:32
Member (2007)
English to German
time Dec 1, 2009

Hi Paul,

Just a quick thought... maybe you do not give her a gift as such (aside from flowers maybe) but spend some time with her in one of her favourite places so in essence you give her time and some activity she likes to do...

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:32
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The over 90s in our family Dec 1, 2009

(and we are rather long-lived), have always enjoyed the admittedly amateur movies we make sometimes on the computer, using old photos, music they would have listened to or listen to now, messages from other family or friends, etc.

Sabine Braun
Sabine Braun  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:32
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Don't buy presents... Dec 1, 2009

I agree with Anja - the most precious thing for your mother will be the time you spend with her. How about inviting her to a play or a concert starring an artist she really likes? (You could even buy the tickets on the internet from Brazil). Or perhaps you can think of a place she would love to visit.... I am sure there is something she always wanted to do or somewhere she'd love to go.... Just use your imagination!

Hope you have a nice time in the UK!...
See more
I agree with Anja - the most precious thing for your mother will be the time you spend with her. How about inviting her to a play or a concert starring an artist she really likes? (You could even buy the tickets on the internet from Brazil). Or perhaps you can think of a place she would love to visit.... I am sure there is something she always wanted to do or somewhere she'd love to go.... Just use your imagination!

Hope you have a nice time in the UK!

Sabine
Collapse

Lise Leavitt
Lise Leavitt  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
That's exactly what came to my mind =) My family loves it! Dec 1, 2009

Juliana Starkman wrote:

(and we are rather long-lived), have always enjoyed the admittedly amateur movies we make sometimes on the computer, using old photos, music they would have listened to or listen to now, messages from other family or friends, etc.

sindy cremer
sindy cremer
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
pictures of Dec 2, 2009

your family, recent ones, are always appreciated.
does she like any particular music? Any concert you could take her to?
Is she into boating? - a boating trip combined with a cosy dinner?
Is she a fan of film or theatre? - loads of options there. Great for a family party.
Is she a walker? Have a "family walk" in/on a nearby forest/wood/beach/whatever, and if there's a cafe or a restaurant in sight, have 'm prep something special, something she really likes..
Prep a
... See more
your family, recent ones, are always appreciated.
does she like any particular music? Any concert you could take her to?
Is she into boating? - a boating trip combined with a cosy dinner?
Is she a fan of film or theatre? - loads of options there. Great for a family party.
Is she a walker? Have a "family walk" in/on a nearby forest/wood/beach/whatever, and if there's a cafe or a restaurant in sight, have 'm prep something special, something she really likes..
Prep a few short family sketches at home; simple, short, humorous sketches that will make her laugh. She's been here for 90!!! years..
What does she absolutely LOVE to do? focus on that.
Maybe take her out with favourite grandchildren.
Maybe take her out with her Children and cover her in flowers and jeez we you love to bits and you're still here thingies.
Does she like piece and quiet? Offer her a trip to Kerry, Ireland.. Don't let her travel alone though!
Does she have roots anywhere else? Would she like to revisit??
Is she still into some adventure: take her ballooning...!!
Is there any particular place she loves ? take her there, and if it's too far away, organise an afternoon in the spirit of that particular place...

Is there anything she'd like to have in her house that would make life easier for her? (A SUPER chair with remote control and heating to keep her warm..?) Or super plants on the patio/balcony that she could enjoy?

A CAT?

I could go on and on (which is a perfect indication of the fact that I don't know the lady in question..)

What would YOU think was the perfect gift people/relatives could give to YOU when reaching the fab age of 90!?! (and still be of a good mind/spirit and driving a bloody car!!!)

But most of all, I would make sure that she would be surrounded by AS MANY PEOPLE as possible.. everyone she loves, everyone that loves her.

I wish her a swell 90th party!!
Collapse

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Some suggestions Dec 2, 2009

First of all Happy Birthday,

If she is very active then I suggest a day of full adrenalin.

Bungee jumping, parachute or roller coaster.

Of course if she has no problem with her hearth.

Just idea.

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 05:32
Spanish to English
Well, as I recall Dec 2, 2009

Mom's always complaining about the garbage on her cable, so far 90 I burned a bunch of old B & W movies (Charlie Chan, Thin Man, Pat O'Brian, Fred and Ginger, etc.) to DVDs, plus some OTR (Mr. Keen & Racket Squad) and big band mp3s to CD.
Local clothing (alpaca sweaters, socks and gloves at local prices) was also perfect for bitter NY winters. I know England should have plenty of fine woolens, but may not be as widely available as they were previously).

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Snuggie? Dec 2, 2009

Just a thought. Older people like staying warm.

Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
90th birthday gift Dec 2, 2009

Old classic movies when she was young - Hitchcock's, Gone with the Wind, etc.
Nice classical music.
Restaurant - the classic ones/the very best fit for a queen since it's not certain when she will say goodbye to you all.
A rare gift from Brazil that's hard to find.

TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Local time: 19:32
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
Portrait Dec 2, 2009

Why don't you draw a portrait of her in younger age, or of all family members if you do so? Presents made by hands are always very touching.

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 05:32
Spanish to English
Your Hit Parade Dec 2, 2009

Just remembered, a lot of "Your Hit Parade" shows from the early fifties are in public domain and available at www.archive.org. It was mandatory watching in our household. You should be able to get about 15-20 on one DVD

betterlife
betterlife
China
Local time: 18:32
English to Chinese
birthday gift Dec 16, 2009

You can purchase on line, and tell the seller to ship the gift to your mother's residence.

[Edited at 2009-12-16 10:49 GMT]

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 20, 2010

Thanks to all who contributed.

In the end I used some of these ideas, I got her something typically Brazilian and also something to keep her entertained. She liked both of the presents.

I have just returned from my visit to the UK and we had a good time. The family had even organised a special lunch - but this had to be cancelled because of the snow, as some people would be travelling miles to the Midlands.

Back in Brazil now - no snow here, it's a cool (fo
... See more
Thanks to all who contributed.

In the end I used some of these ideas, I got her something typically Brazilian and also something to keep her entertained. She liked both of the presents.

I have just returned from my visit to the UK and we had a good time. The family had even organised a special lunch - but this had to be cancelled because of the snow, as some people would be travelling miles to the Midlands.

Back in Brazil now - no snow here, it's a cool (for Brazilians) 30 degrees Celsius here!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for 90th Birthday Present

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »