Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: blame the translator.... (bad language alert)
Thread poster: Edward Vreeburg
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:32
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
La Malinche Nov 8, 2009

I've always been interested in the story of Marina, the interpreter and concubine of "stout" Cortez, since my father, a scholar of Mexican history, planned to write a book about her. Unfortunately, he died before the work was completed.
There is a well-known song about her with a beautiful tune called "La Llorona" - the weeping woman. You can find it by Googling.
Jenny

P.S. Re the interpreter/translator having to take the blame, wasn't there a recent incident when Hillar
... See more
I've always been interested in the story of Marina, the interpreter and concubine of "stout" Cortez, since my father, a scholar of Mexican history, planned to write a book about her. Unfortunately, he died before the work was completed.
There is a well-known song about her with a beautiful tune called "La Llorona" - the weeping woman. You can find it by Googling.
Jenny

P.S. Re the interpreter/translator having to take the blame, wasn't there a recent incident when Hillary Clinton made some kind of gaffe in Africa which was attributed to a mistranslation?
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:32
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mexican proverbs at Wikiquote Nov 8, 2009

Maybe the translator experienced a Google blooper.

This is what the Wikiquote page looked like on 31 Oct 2009 01:43:53 GMT

See more
Maybe the translator experienced a Google blooper.

This is what the Wikiquote page looked like on 31 Oct 2009 01:43:53 GMT

209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:-ehoK7wJLlUJ:en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mexican_proverbs%20"Camaron%20que%20se%20duerme%20se%20lo%20lleva%20la%20chingada"&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk.

Cheers,
Gerard

[Edited at 2009-11-08 13:39 GMT]
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:32
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wiki blooper Nov 8, 2009

Haha, that is the only explanation really! How would you manage to confuse 'la corriente' and 'la chingada' otherwise?
I will add the reference you found!

http://your-translation.blogspot.com/2009/11/royal-blooper.html

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
Freudian slip? Nov 8, 2009

Anjo Sterringa wrote:

How would you manage to confuse 'la corriente' and 'la chingada' otherwise?

I was myself thinking about a Freudian slip on the part of the person who translated the speech (maybe he was angry about something, and he just projected himself on his translation).

This said, I do not think it is that difficult to confuse both "endings".
Yes, the saying is very clear and well know as "camarón que se duerme se lo lleva la corriente".
But there is also this very clear and well known expression: "se lo llevó la chingada"; usually in past tense, but it can also be in future: "Se lo va a llevar la chingada" or in present continuous: "Se lo está llevando la chingada". Sometimes the verb "llevar" is replaced by the verb "cargar", with the same meaning: "Se lo cargó la chingada".

There was also a tv program character which, in his ignorance and to appear more "cultured" used to mix half of one saying, with half of another, and that also came to my mind when I read the note.

But my main question still is how come NO ONE noticed the slip? How many people go through those documents? I think the prince speeches are in need of more QA.

Or was it a joke?

The new Dutchmex proverb did get used as an argument in the Mexican parliament Nov 9, 2009

by Gerardo Fernández Noroña:

pero no muestran sorpresa porque el príncipe Guillermo de Holanda haya dicho la frase “camarón que se duerme se lo lleva la chingada.”

This is a link with the text and a video...
http://fedyucatan.blogspot.com/

All this inspired me to make a little visual tableau of it: with the following caption:

National Dutc
... See more
by Gerardo Fernández Noroña:

pero no muestran sorpresa porque el príncipe Guillermo de Holanda haya dicho la frase “camarón que se duerme se lo lleva la chingada.”

This is a link with the text and a video...
http://fedyucatan.blogspot.com/

All this inspired me to make a little visual tableau of it: with the following caption:

National Dutch news (NOS Journaal): "Prince Willem Alexander became a vicitim of a somewhat painful translation mistake. In a speech about renewable energy he said that the world had to act upon this diligently. The prince used the word 'chingada' for 'tide'. And that would have been in the whole of Latin America the correct translation, but by chance not so in Mexico.

(no correction of this statement has been posted on the Dutch national news website yet!

Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

blame the translator.... (bad language alert)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »