Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Alternatives to coffee - are there any?
Thread poster: Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 05:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 14, 2009

Rainy season has come to Los Angeles. And, if there is a place on Earth where the old saying "when it rains, it pours" is especially true, Los Angeles in late fall is such a place.

And the weather is like this, I find it hard to keep myself awake, in spite of having a good night sleep before. Maybe it's genetic - our distant ancestors didn't venture out of their caves in heavy rain... or maybe it's just me. Be it as it may, I've just finished my second cup of coffee. I helps to
... See more
Rainy season has come to Los Angeles. And, if there is a place on Earth where the old saying "when it rains, it pours" is especially true, Los Angeles in late fall is such a place.

And the weather is like this, I find it hard to keep myself awake, in spite of having a good night sleep before. Maybe it's genetic - our distant ancestors didn't venture out of their caves in heavy rain... or maybe it's just me. Be it as it may, I've just finished my second cup of coffee. I helps to keep my eyes open, but now I worry about negative health effects...

Are there better ways to keep myself awake? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
German to English
+ ...
Light boxes Oct 15, 2009

http://www.fotosearch.com/CSP173/k1730822/

Some people swear by this sort of thing (I have never tried them, I must admit):
http://www.sad.uk.com/fatigue.php

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:04
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try green tea Oct 15, 2009

Often, it has less sharp, but longer lasting effect.

Karletto
Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
you could mix it too Oct 15, 2009

green tea, coca-cola, energy drinks

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Cocktail Oct 15, 2009

1 Liter Milk
1 Orange (peeled)
Liquid chocolate (little tube, ask children)

Shake them well and drink cold.

It helps

Agnieszka Chojnacka
Agnieszka Chojnacka
Poland
Local time: 13:04
Polish to English
+ ...
Snuff Oct 15, 2009

A pinch of snuff might help but don't forget to wipe your nose I prefer yerba mate, though.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Coffee doesn't keep me awake Oct 15, 2009

Alexandra Goldburt wrote:
Be it as it may, I've just finished my second cup of coffee. It helps to keep my eyes open, but now I worry about negative health effects...

I drink between 5 and 10 cups of coffee per day. I don't think it helps keep me awake (I mean, if I go without coffee, I'm not more sleepy). Maybe if I drink it without milk, it'll have that effect on me (since other hot milky drinks tend to make me sleepy). I generally have a cup of coffee just before I go to bed (or in bed).

Also I don't feel the difference between caf and decaf (although some people who drink only decaf can tell me within minutes (or seconds?) if the coffee they just had wasn't decaf). Weird...

And isn't it illegal in some countries to serve non-decaf coffee to children?

Ana Brause
Ana Brause  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apples, apples, apples... Oct 15, 2009

Eating apples keeps me awake, I discovered that by accident, while on a long night translating. Simple and sweet.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_apples_wake_you_up
It works for me...

Cheers,
Ana

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Something organic... Oct 15, 2009

... and nothing beats a good cigar (particularly) on a rainy day.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Chai Oct 15, 2009

You may try Chai or other herbal drinks. Also, keep exercising and walk outdoor as much as you can. Your room must always be aired. Keep the window open.

Gemma Sanza Porcar
Gemma Sanza Porcar  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
another option Oct 15, 2009

A cold shower with aroma therapy (specially containing orange essence).

Greetings,

Gemma

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mate Oct 15, 2009

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate

In the Southern Cone of South America a great many of us depend on this to keep going... and the ritual of preparing (and sharing) is also very therapeutic FYI, because I remember you love Bahía, in Brasil they drink it in the southern states, but not in the north.

Although I m
... See more
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate

In the Southern Cone of South America a great many of us depend on this to keep going... and the ritual of preparing (and sharing) is also very therapeutic FYI, because I remember you love Bahía, in Brasil they drink it in the southern states, but not in the north.

Although I myself don't prepare mate, I love to get an occasional sip from my daughters who carry it around all day, and it doesn't keep them from sleeping at night! Not recommended while driving... but otherwise excellent: keeps you awake, takes away thirst and hunger, keeps you warm...

Here are some more details:

http://www.rochauruguay.com/Tarariraventura/Mate%20uruguayo.htm

The yerba can be purchased in many supermarkets around the world.

Hope you enjoy it!
Collapse

Sanmar
Sanmar
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
Dutch to English
Panax Ginseng Oct 15, 2009

I find that Panax Ginseng or Asian Ginseng is very good at keeping you sharp and awake without any side-effects or 'come down' whatsoever. It also helps with stress. It has a cumulative effect so it is generally recommended to have the occasional break from it as well.

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
Guarana, dark chocolate, a multivitamin Oct 15, 2009

Guaraná is easy to find in Brazil, though it might be more difficult (and expensive) to come across in LA.

A cup of dark chocolate has also helped me (the problem with this one is that it tends to have many more calories than coffee, so you offset one health problem, but possibly create another).

Some time ago, I forgot to take my multivitamin in the morning, so I took it before going to sleep and it kept me awake for a few hours. I tried again a couple of times just
... See more
Guaraná is easy to find in Brazil, though it might be more difficult (and expensive) to come across in LA.

A cup of dark chocolate has also helped me (the problem with this one is that it tends to have many more calories than coffee, so you offset one health problem, but possibly create another).

Some time ago, I forgot to take my multivitamin in the morning, so I took it before going to sleep and it kept me awake for a few hours. I tried again a couple of times just to make sure it was the multivitamin keeping me awake, and it worked... so maybe it can help you too...

[Edited at 2009-10-15 12:23 GMT]
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:04
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Cocoa contains caffein, too, and theobromine Oct 15, 2009

Drinking hot chocolate or eating a chocolate bar may work as they are made of cocoa, and cocoa contains caffein, too.
So, if you want to avoid caffein, this may not be the best solution.
Another nerve stimulant present in cocoa is theobromine.

Read more about it here:
... See more
Drinking hot chocolate or eating a chocolate bar may work as they are made of cocoa, and cocoa contains caffein, too.
So, if you want to avoid caffein, this may not be the best solution.
Another nerve stimulant present in cocoa is theobromine.

Read more about it here:

http://pol.spurious.biz/dev_zero/caffeine.html

http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/caff01.htm
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternatives to coffee - are there any?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »