Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: Alternatives to coffee - are there any?
Thread poster: Alexandra Goldburt
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Only do translations that are interesting. Oct 16, 2009

Sorry, just wishful thinking...

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 17:43
nothing beats a Oct 16, 2009

cupa cha!

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:43
English to French
+ ...
That is why... Oct 16, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:
ViktoriaG wrote:

In general, things that boost your blood flow are good wake-ups. Exercise (even if it is only a walk around the block), sex...

Good recommendation, Viktoria, but there might be an "availability issue" during the day

...I suggested more than one method. Whatever you can put your hands on! Eventually, most people get to try all of these methods.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:43
Member (2004)
English to Italian
sex, power nap and then a nice shot of espresso coffe... Oct 17, 2009

do I need to add anything else?

edited for typo... to much espresso, obviously...

[Edited at 2009-10-17 12:22 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pollen!!! Oct 17, 2009

We in the Alcarria in central Spain are famous for our honey. I just went to buy some and saw the bags of pollen they sell. When I asked about the best moment to consume it, they say you should not consume it in the evening as it gives you a lot of energy and can have difficulty to sleep properly.

So I immediately remembered this forum. My honey seller's recommendation is to have one spoon of pollen in the morning, dissolved in half a glass of orange juice (or any juice really), bef
... See more
We in the Alcarria in central Spain are famous for our honey. I just went to buy some and saw the bags of pollen they sell. When I asked about the best moment to consume it, they say you should not consume it in the evening as it gives you a lot of energy and can have difficulty to sleep properly.

So I immediately remembered this forum. My honey seller's recommendation is to have one spoon of pollen in the morning, dissolved in half a glass of orange juice (or any juice really), before breakfast.

Give it a try! It is a very healthy product and even very a tasty one in a reasonably quantity.
Collapse

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
Pollen!!!??? Oct 17, 2009

Boy, I had no idea one could eat the stuff. In the area of Maryland where our house is located, pollen from flowering trees during the Spring is so much that cars are covered with a yellow-greenish layer for several days. I swept it off my porch and dumped it in the garbage so many times without knowing I was throwing money away! And my husband got so many allergies from it that if I tell him he can eat it, he'll probably think I am trying to poison him! So, just out of curiosity, how big and ho... See more
Boy, I had no idea one could eat the stuff. In the area of Maryland where our house is located, pollen from flowering trees during the Spring is so much that cars are covered with a yellow-greenish layer for several days. I swept it off my porch and dumped it in the garbage so many times without knowing I was throwing money away! And my husband got so many allergies from it that if I tell him he can eat it, he'll probably think I am trying to poison him! So, just out of curiosity, how big and how much is a bag of pollen? And do you know if one can ingest any type of pollen, or does it have to be a special type? I am serious about this because I believe it might become a way of controlling the allergies it causes.

[Edited at 2009-10-17 15:14 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some context information Oct 17, 2009

Aguas de Marco wrote:
Boy, I had no idea one could eat the stuff. In the area of Maryland where our house is located, pollen from flowering trees during the Spring is so much that cars are covered with a yellow-greenish layer for several days.

Sorry. Maybe I got carried away and should have explained it. Good. What I meant was pollen as obtained from beehives by making bees enter the beehive through special gates that scratch off the yellow pollen balls bees carry on their hind legs in their return journey. Pollen is part of the beehive's nourishment and passing that gate is cumbersome and even dangerous for the bees (they often lose some leg or even a wing), so beekeepers can only use the gate for a couple of days in the year. They leave the rest of the collected pollen for the beehives survival.

This kind of pollen is the same pollen of the plants these bees make honey from. In our area the most valuable honey is rosemary and lavender honey. These are plants that are frequent in the Alcarria... and bees manage to pinpoint a lot faster than people. It is a very healthy honey indeed.

Click here to see an image of this pollen in a retail format. You can also purchase it in bags at beekeepers' shops in town, at a lower price and very good quality.

I honestly thought you could easily find this product in the US as well. Maybe I was wrong?

[Edited at 2009-10-17 17:46 GMT]

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
Not all pollens are created equal Oct 18, 2009

Thanks for the explanation, Tomás. After your post, I did some research on the net and discovered that airborne pollen is not edible, and it indeed causes allergies in many people. Edible pollen is collected from beehives, and has a different composition.

Then I went to look in some US Internet pharmacies, and was only able to find one product labeled as "pollen grains" for around US$8.50 per ten ounces. There were also pollen "cap
... See more
Thanks for the explanation, Tomás. After your post, I did some research on the net and discovered that airborne pollen is not edible, and it indeed causes allergies in many people. Edible pollen is collected from beehives, and has a different composition.

Then I went to look in some US Internet pharmacies, and was only able to find one product labeled as "pollen grains" for around US$8.50 per ten ounces. There were also pollen "capsules"; but the sites I visited (like this: http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3158) advice against these products as the heat used to compress the capsules "kills" the beneficial ingredients of the pollen.

I visit "natural" products stores from time to time in the US (and also in Mexico), and I had never heard of this pollen before. What has a very good reputation among some people in Mexico is the "jalea real" capsules. Knowing the amount of allergies produced by airborne pollen in the US, I dare to say that the average US person would probably be afraid of eating pollen, so I am not sure about the profitability of marketing such a product in the US (not to mention the process for obtaining approval for its sale from US regulatory agencies).

I say this from a reaction I got from my US friends living in Brazil, when I mentioned that my pediatrician had prescribed to my daughter a syrup against colds made of hedera helix l. (common ivy). You should have seen their faces and heard them say "But that is poison ivy!!! I would never give my child that!". Of course, like a lot of medicinal herbs, it all depends on the quantity and ways in which they are used. This one, being a duly approved medical aid here in Brazil, would most probably pose no threats; but try explaining that to persons in whose mind the idea that a plant is "poison" has been set. Sometimes it is very difficult to get those minds to be more receptive. I wonder if that would not also be the case with pollen. In any case, I will give it a try as soon as I can!

My apologies to Alexandra for digressing (again!) on this thread whose subject is alternatives to drinking coffee!

[Edited at 2009-10-18 18:56 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 08:43
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now, a new problem! Oct 18, 2009

The sun came back to Los Angeles and things are back to normal. My eyes are wide open and my thinking is clear, but...

...a problem boggles my mind: which of all these wonderful suggestions from colleagues should I try first?

Of course, I'd love to do what philgoddard suggests: only accept INTERESTING translations. Or, in my case, since I'm mainly an interpreter, only accept interesting interpreting assignments. "Sorry, Mr. Client, I no longer do personal injury cas
... See more
The sun came back to Los Angeles and things are back to normal. My eyes are wide open and my thinking is clear, but...

...a problem boggles my mind: which of all these wonderful suggestions from colleagues should I try first?

Of course, I'd love to do what philgoddard suggests: only accept INTERESTING translations. Or, in my case, since I'm mainly an interpreter, only accept interesting interpreting assignments. "Sorry, Mr. Client, I no longer do personal injury cases. No follow-up medical appointments, either. They bore me out of my wits. But if you have anything that has to do with music, art, or history, give me a call". Ah... the beauty of dreaming...

I'm afraid, however, that following philgoddard's advice might negatively affect my financial condition. So, until I win the lottery or receive an inheritance from a second cousin twice removed, I'll have to take second best.

So, I'll take one of ViktoriaG's suggestions. Dare not say which one, though - for fear of being misunderstood...

Have a great week, everybody, and thanks for all your answers!
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pollen "granules" makes me wonder Oct 18, 2009

Aguas de Marco wrote:
Then I went to look in some US Internet pharmacies, and was only able to find one product labeled as "pollen grains" for around US$8.50 per ten ounces. There were also pollen "capsules"; but the sites I visited (like this: http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3158) advice against these products as the heat used to compress the capsules "kills" the beneficial ingredients of the pollen.

(Sorry Alexandra for stealing the forum for a moment).

Hm... I wonder about the "granule" thing. The pollen you see in the jar I gave the link of is exactly as it is scratched off the bees' little legs by the special gate at the entrance of the hive box. All that is done to it is really to manually remove any debris (the occasional leg or wing I mentioned) and put it in open air and let it air dry on a warm day. Drying it properly and keeping it dry (no wet spoons in the jar please) is necessary because it is very concentrated food indeed and can easily get mouldy if it gets wet. But when kept dry, it is a very lasting, all natural product.

OK. Well, please do not take this as advertising, but if any of you wants to try Alcarria pollen, I will be happy to buy a bag for you at my beekeeper's shop (I think I bought 500 grams for 6 euros or so) and mail it over.

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
I would take you on the offer, Tomàs... Oct 18, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

OK. Well, please do not take this as advertising, but if any of you wants to try Alcarria pollen, I will be happy to buy a bag for you at my beekeeper's shop (I think I bought 500 grams for 6 euros or so) and mail it over.

... but I am not sure if pollen would be in the US postal service list of items that cannot be shipped. I will check and get back to you. Maybe Alexandra wants to give it a try too!

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try guayusa (tea) Oct 19, 2009

I'd add guayusa to the mix. It tastes way better than yerba mate IMHO; it's not bitter at all. Just don't overdo it! Also, when the weather gets really hot nothing beats a quick cold shower. Very energizing.

Andrea Shah
Andrea Shah  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Cardamom Oct 20, 2009

I have heard that cardamom is a stimulant, which is what makes Indian-style chai such a potent waker-upper. Lots of sites specializing in Ayurvedic medicine seem to back this up.

http://www.holisticonline.com/herbal-Med/_Herbs/h117.htm

You could put some cardamom in your coffee for an extra kick, or drink cardamom tea, or just make chai. One thing about
... See more
I have heard that cardamom is a stimulant, which is what makes Indian-style chai such a potent waker-upper. Lots of sites specializing in Ayurvedic medicine seem to back this up.

http://www.holisticonline.com/herbal-Med/_Herbs/h117.htm

You could put some cardamom in your coffee for an extra kick, or drink cardamom tea, or just make chai. One thing about chai, though, is that if you make it with whole milk and lots of sugar, it's pretty fattening, so you can tone down the calories with skim milk and maybe even some other kind of sweetener.
Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Tea Oct 20, 2009

A nice cup of tea -- England's secret weapon in all situations and conflicts.
Although I do enjoy coffee. My daily procedure is morning tea, read the local paper and if I'm not included in the obituaries I make coffee.
Coffee drinkers come in two varieties, those who can't sleep if they drink a cup late in the evening and those who can't sleep if they don't drink a cup before bed, ie, the addicts.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternatives to coffee - are there any?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »