Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Off topic: What's the worst movie you've ever seen in your life?
Thread poster: Gianni Pastore
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:28
German to English
+ ...
Yes! Oct 14, 2009

David Russi wrote:

Liliana Roman-Hamilton wrote:

The Big Lebowski (didn't get it...what was all that fuss about bowling???)

[Edited at 2009-10-14 06:59 GMT]

I'm with you on almost everything from Borat to The Village, (made me remember xXx, or Triple X, with Vin Diesel, another one for the bottom of the heap), BUT...

The Big Lebowski is a very funny comedy, full of memorable one lines (I guess you are not a golfer... At least I'm housebroken... Bummer, man... The Dude, His Dudeness, El Duderino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing).

Jeff Bridges is brilliant, if you have ever known a real stonehead, you know he's perfect, and John Goodman really plays a great parody of an Irak war veteran.

The Dude abides...

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dude Fans of the World Unite Oct 14, 2009

How about starting an "International Federation and/or Association of Translator Fans of The Dude"? (just kidding, David...)

P. S.: I take this opportunity to publicly confess, even though this is completely off-topic, that I absolutely love Celine Dion's and Whitney Houston's singing... Sorry, can't help it...

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Great idea! Oct 14, 2009

ICL wrote:

How about starting an "International Federation and/or Association of Translator Fans of The Dude"? (just kidding, David...)

P. S.: I take this opportunity to publicly confess, even though this is completely off-topic, that I absolutely love Celine Dion's and Whitney Houston's singing... Sorry, can't help it...

I'm definitely IN Can I be Vice-President of the club?

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:28
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Me too Oct 14, 2009

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

I'll add my voice in defence - it's a great film. And I won't hear a word against Dancer in the Dark, either (even if I'm the only person I know who liked it). And Borat had me crying with laughter.

I liked The Big Lebowski AND Dancer in the Dark.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seats taken Oct 14, 2009

Gianni Pastore wrote:

ICL wrote:

I'm definitely IN Can I be Vice-President of the club?

I think the PreZ and Vice-PreZ seats are already taken, but you can try.

Jon O (X)
Jon O (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
down with Lebowski... Oct 14, 2009

I must say I couldn't stand the film either, very smug and self-satisfied, perhaps it's the cumulative effects of all the physics and engineering students at university who quoted it endlessly.........
I have similar feelings towards much of Monty Python's stuff for the same reasons.....

Most films with Nicholas Cage are pretty dreadful in my experience too

[Edited at 2009-10-14 13:52 GMT]

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 04:28
Member (2003)
French to English
Jurassic Park Oct 14, 2009

...comes to mind. I fell asleep in the movie theater, on a date. I couldn't believe anyone could make a big deal out of those special effects. The original Star Wars triology back in the late 70's/early 80's was much better. Jurassic Park wasn't anything great as far as special effects, and the plot sucked.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:28
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Please... Oct 14, 2009

hands off Pasolini and Tarkovsky!

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Oh, well... Oct 14, 2009

Gianni Pastore wrote:

It's not about bowling, Lilith, it's about "the duuuuude"

It's not. It's about the rug - it really tied the room together...

I'm in for the club, though.

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:28
English to Italian
wow! Oct 14, 2009

Wow, who would have thunk...

I know the Big Lebowski has a lot of fans, some friends of mine raved about it, that's why I gave it a shot...but despite everything... I didn't get it, sorry guys. But I like Jeff BRidges (and I adore his dad in a Seinfeld episode when he plays the old gymn trainer...I laugh all the time!).

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:28
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Those ghastly children ... Oct 14, 2009

gad wrote:

...comes to mind. I fell asleep in the movie theater, on a date. I couldn't believe anyone could make a big deal out of those special effects. The original Star Wars triology back in the late 70's/early 80's was much better. Jurassic Park wasn't anything great as far as special effects, and the plot sucked.

It was those ghastly children that spoiled J. Park for me - I longed for the dinosaurs to get them.
Jenny

Ulrike H
Ulrike H
English to German
+ ...
many Oct 14, 2009

too many to mention really, but two that everyone else seemed to like at the time:

Dancer in the dark (gave me a headache), and Tanguy (so many good ideas wasted).

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Well Oct 14, 2009

Wow, who would have thunk...

I know the Big Lebowski has a lot of fans, some friends of mine raved about it, that's why I gave it a shot...but despite everything... I didn't get it, sorry guys. But I like Jeff BRidges (and I adore his dad in a Seinfeld episode when he plays the old gymn trainer...I laugh all the time!).

We can forgive you, this time. But don't get used to it
HugZ
G

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
@Liliana Roman-Hamilton Oct 14, 2009

4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days (depressing Romanian movie...)

[Edited at 2009-10-14 06:59 GMT]

Liliana,
well, depressing doesn't mean bad, does it? Although depressing, it's a good movie IMHO.
And, pls hands off Russel Crowe one of the movie guys l love
cheers, Ewa

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great idea! Oct 14, 2009

ICL wrote:

I'm in, I'm in... my daughters also love it, they will handle the fan club correspondence!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the worst movie you've ever seen in your life?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »