Off topic: Is search engine helpful for us to get a job? Do you get any job offers?
Thread poster: TCN6YR
TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Local time: 13:28
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
Oct 9, 2009

Recently, I have a lot of acceses through search engines like Google as is always shown with key words (other search sources are never shown, but I think they come through other engines). I am happy with this, but I have never received job offers through them since my registration of September, 2009. Yes, I am a new participant. Access from search engine is not like Directories of Proz.
Do you get any job offers from search engines?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10
... See more
Recently, I have a lot of acceses through search engines like Google as is always shown with key words (other search sources are never shown, but I think they come through other engines). I am happy with this, but I have never received job offers through them since my registration of September, 2009. Yes, I am a new participant. Access from search engine is not like Directories of Proz.
Do you get any job offers from search engines?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-09 01:26 GMT]
Collapse

Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:28
English to German
+ ...
No, but Oct 9, 2009

I think if you have a Website with your name, its ranking might be improved as you are already known by search engines.

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Some job offers Oct 9, 2009

Takako Shibuya wrote:
I am happy with this, but I have never received job offers through them since my registration of September, 2009. Yes, I am a new participant.

Only one month. Just a little bit of patience, Takako. Is the content of your profile optimized?

Some key words are leading to my profile. For e.g. Dutch to german translator.
As Proz got top rankings, I got regularly visitors.
Sometimes direct clients (mostly Dutch clients) are contacting me. But I got more jobs offered by translation agencies who find me via the directory.

[Edited at 2009-10-09 10:49 GMT]

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No way... Oct 9, 2009

If you want a job or a project, you have to proactively look for it.
If you want a job through the ProZ.com portal, your rate per word should not exceed 2 cents
However, I am not recommending you to do so.

TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comments! Oct 9, 2009

Well, my post wasn't clear enough. Sorry for your time.
I got a couple of offers here on Proz through the Directries already. I try to improve anything I can.

My question is, those who come to my profile, let's say, from Google, just take a look at the page from curiousity and never offers anything. Is there anybody who receives job offers by those people coming from Google Search Engine?

[Edited at 2009-10-10 00:37 GMT]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Nope Oct 9, 2009

Just Nigerian scams and phishing mails.

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Scams ? Oct 9, 2009

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

This astonishes me, because I don't see a mailadress on your profile. So you are receiving scams and phishing mails via "Send message"?
I never received similar mails via ProZ.com mail.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Not only Oct 9, 2009

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

the messages mentioned by Yasutomo, but then only one serious offer that vanished away when the potential client found out his "commercial partner" in France could do the job for free...

TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got one through Google Oct 10, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

the messages mentioned by Yasutomo, but then only one serious offer that vanished away when the potential client found out his "commercial partner" in France could do the job for free...

I have just received the first offer, sounding rather serious by free-mail address (forum is not visible on my profile), from a person who came from Google Search Engine. I thought Google is not very effective, but it sometimes works:)

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
No my experience but read it on other forums Oct 10, 2009

Tuliparola wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

This astonishes me, because I don't see a mailadress on your profile. So you are receiving scams and phishing mails via "Send message"?

This is not my dirrect experience, but I've read forums about people on Proz receiving scams, phishing, or even chat mails (like, you are a woman, would you like to go out on a date with me, that kind of mass mailing). Moreover, I didn't mention in my former posting, but I am registered on other translation sites, where my email addresses are visible, and I sometimes get those unsolicited mails which I ignore.

TCN6YR
TCN6YR
Japan
Russian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I haven't received any spams via Proz. Oct 10, 2009

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Tuliparola wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

This is not my dirrect experience, but I've read forums about people on Proz receiving scams, phishing, or even chat mails (like, you are a woman, would you like to go out on a date with me, that kind of mass mailing). Moreover, I didn't mention in my former posting, but I am registered on other translation sites, where my email addresses are visible, and I sometimes get those unsolicited mails which I ignore.

I haven't received any spams via Proz so far.

Free-mail job offers sound sweet, yet are very risky. Recently, I read the post of the translator who translated around 26,000 words and lost touch with the "agent". It is difficult to judge whether a good job or not.
I recommended a registration on Proz to a person who offered me a job via Google today:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is search engine helpful for us to get a job? Do you get any job offers?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »