Thread poster: Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:32
Member (2008)
French to English
Sep 16, 2009

I had this idea a while ago when I was having some trouble with choosing my own profile photo - trying not to look too old, and trying to look more polished than usual, since I often work in a bathing suit and board shorts, or jeans and a T-shirt on a dress up day. I bought a second-hand jacket for my photo and had about a million amateur shots taken before I found one that was flattering. In the meantime, there is a current forum topic posted by a member concerned that his pic makes him look ... See more
I had this idea a while ago when I was having some trouble with choosing my own profile photo - trying not to look too old, and trying to look more polished than usual, since I often work in a bathing suit and board shorts, or jeans and a T-shirt on a dress up day. I bought a second-hand jacket for my photo and had about a million amateur shots taken before I found one that was flattering. In the meantime, there is a current forum topic posted by a member concerned that his pic makes him look too young, as well as several comments about vampy photos, or using an image other than a photo. What the world needs is a professional glamour-shots type service. Glamour shots are the people that take your photo made up and dressed up like a model/movie star. We need a service like that for professional promotional photos, especially now when everyone is putting their photo on business cards, email, website, etc. They could provide grown up clothes and make-up and professional quality photographs - even a little retouching if necessary. Has anyone come across a studio doing this? Seems like a moneymaker for someone.Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:32
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not new, sorry Sep 16, 2009

There are services specializing in professional portraits, the kind you are talking about usually called "corporate photography".
If you Google it, you will get tons of them.
In addition, any professional photographer would take headshots for business purposes, for brochures, company websites, business cards, etc.
I am not sure if they provide clothes, some of them might, but come on... If somebody decides to spend the money on a professional portrait (not that it is so very ex
... See more
There are services specializing in professional portraits, the kind you are talking about usually called "corporate photography".
If you Google it, you will get tons of them.
In addition, any professional photographer would take headshots for business purposes, for brochures, company websites, business cards, etc.
I am not sure if they provide clothes, some of them might, but come on... If somebody decides to spend the money on a professional portrait (not that it is so very expensive) and cannot find a jacket or a decent shirt to wear, well... then what is the point of doing the picture at all?
I don't think it would be profitable to keep a large stock of jackets, shirts, neckties and other accessories when people's tastes are different, fashion is changing, and sizes cannot be modified (jackets don't lend themselves well to pinning in the back, neither do shirt necks).
"Glamour Shot' studios use "clothes" that are stretchy, elastic, or made up right there by wrapping a colorful fabric around the person. For example, they are very skillful in turning a shawl into something that looks like an evening gown (of course, it is only the shoulders you see in the picture).
That said, my mother was a professional photographer and she did have a few men's jackets and neckties in her studio (no shirts) that could be used in case of "emergencies", but that was way back when men's business jackets were mostly grey or black, not many variations in styles and colors. She did not specialize in business portraits, she did all kinds of portraits and weddings, too.

Katalin
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 00:32
Turkish to English
+ ...
Why bother? Sep 17, 2009

If it is such a problem, why not just find the photograph of some glamorous model and post it as your profile photo! In our business we never meet face to face with clients anyhow. That's why I don't even bother with a photo.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corporate glamour shots - new business idea

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »