Off topic: Any good free software for pop-up, banner and ad blocking?
Thread poster: Vitals
Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 00:07
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Sep 15, 2009

Hi, everyone.

I am sick and tired of all the nasty advertisements, flashy and indecent banners and all the rest of the irrelevant stuff you can see on almost every website. I have heard that there are ways to block them, so that only the important info (text, main pictures of articles, etc.) show up and all the rest of the distractions are gone.

Does anyone know of any good software for that, which would be free of charge, open source?

Thank you in advance.
... See more
Hi, everyone.

I am sick and tired of all the nasty advertisements, flashy and indecent banners and all the rest of the irrelevant stuff you can see on almost every website. I have heard that there are ways to block them, so that only the important info (text, main pictures of articles, etc.) show up and all the rest of the distractions are gone.

Does anyone know of any good software for that, which would be free of charge, open source?

Thank you in advance.

Vitalijus
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:07
English to Polish
Not free, but excellent Sep 15, 2009

http://www.admuncher.com/
Unfortunately, this piece of software is not free, but it's worth its price.

igormkd
igormkd
English to Macedonian
you already have it Sep 15, 2009

Hi,
There are several partial solution for this kind of issues. First of all, most of today's browsers have their own pop-up blockers and specific security settings, and it is usually very hard to fine tune this settings. I can recommend you using Firefox with WOT extension. This extension (add on) will warn you and inform you about risks for every link displayed on any web page. However, this will not remove any adds displayed but will significantly improve your security, remember, WOT w
... See more
Hi,
There are several partial solution for this kind of issues. First of all, most of today's browsers have their own pop-up blockers and specific security settings, and it is usually very hard to fine tune this settings. I can recommend you using Firefox with WOT extension. This extension (add on) will warn you and inform you about risks for every link displayed on any web page. However, this will not remove any adds displayed but will significantly improve your security, remember, WOT will just warn you, next step is your choice.
Full and free solution for you can be TOR (http://www.torproject.org). Beside full anonymity, you can use integrated proxy server and set for blocking ads from almost every add server on the planet. If it is not listed you can add it. You will have to show bit more experience to set this, but you have lot of manuals and tips, just search from them. If you get stacked, I am willing to help you.

[Edited at 2009-09-15 15:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-09-15 15:33 GMT]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:07
English to French
+ ...
Choice of browser Sep 15, 2009

I might be wrong, but I gather that the choice of browser plays a role in this. With some browsers, even if you install ad blockers, it is difficult to filter out unwanted content. Then, there are also browsers that have built in ad blocking controls.

I use SlimBrowser, by FlashPeak. It has ad blocking functions which you can set to allow as little or as much ads as you like. It also allows you to filter out some types of ads while allowing other types to display. I filter out prett
... See more
I might be wrong, but I gather that the choice of browser plays a role in this. With some browsers, even if you install ad blockers, it is difficult to filter out unwanted content. Then, there are also browsers that have built in ad blocking controls.

I use SlimBrowser, by FlashPeak. It has ad blocking functions which you can set to allow as little or as much ads as you like. It also allows you to filter out some types of ads while allowing other types to display. I filter out pretty much everything, and it only allows a Flash ad once in a while. Keep in mind that some sites optimize their ads in order to circumvent ad blocking functions, so it is most likely impossible to filter out everything all the time.

I think you should start by exploring browsers that either have built-in ad blocking features or that work well with separate ad blocking software.

All the best!
Collapse

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
Firefox? Sep 15, 2009

I have the latest version of Firefox (free), and it blocks ALL pop ups and ads. Banners are a different thing, I believe since, for instance, I am able to see the Trados banner displayed at the top of this page.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
use FireFox Sep 15, 2009

+ install additional plug-ins for extra features

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
use Firefox indeed Sep 15, 2009

...and install the add-ons Adblock Plus and NoScript. Firefox will block popups all by itself.

Christina Bergmann
Christina Bergmann
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Firefox Sep 15, 2009

Sergei is right. The Firefox plug-in has helped me greatly in avoiding at least all that useless flash stuff that jumps you on every goddamn site.
And if you want to look at the flash, you can click on the field and it's played. As soon as you reload the page, it's blocked again.

And the pop-up blocker is also worth installing and working with Firefox.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:07
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I love Adblock Sep 15, 2009

It works great, especially if you visit frequently same sites (it requires some "training").

BR
S

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:07
Spanish
+ ...
AdBlock+ Sep 15, 2009

With AdBlock you can also install another add-on and block the adds, images, etc. you still see.

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:07
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
firefox/adblock+ Sep 16, 2009

Firefox and the Adblock Plug plugin works great for me. Sometimes I work in Chrome just for a change of pace, and I'm amazed by how many ads I'm NOT seeing at the sites I frequent.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Maybe you should check the Safe Computing forum Sep 16, 2009

http://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing-74.html

After all, such discussions used to be held there previously for many years

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Sep 17, 2009

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions. Adblock now works fine in my Firefox!

I will try to search for some more similar posts in the previous Proz forums.

I am glad I can find people with similar problems and good solutions for them!

All the very best for the coming days!

Vitalijus

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The G word.... Sep 17, 2009

Sorry guys, I have to use the G word many users around here dislike: I would sincerely recommend Google Chrome as the browser. It's fast, handy.... and it blocks popups. It gives you the option to be alerted when a popup was blocked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any good free software for pop-up, banner and ad blocking?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »