Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:44
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sep 5, 2009

Based on several books that have flooded the market with titles "101 .... before you die", I thought of collecting such lists within the ProZian community.

I'll start off:

TAKE THE TRAIN RIDE FROM CURITIBA TO MORRETES, PARANÁ, SOUTHERN BRAZIL

This is definitely one of the most interesting and fascinating train rides in the whole world. Board the train at Curitiba's train station (sadly no longer used for regular services) and before you know it the diesel-
... See more
Based on several books that have flooded the market with titles "101 .... before you die", I thought of collecting such lists within the ProZian community.

I'll start off:

TAKE THE TRAIN RIDE FROM CURITIBA TO MORRETES, PARANÁ, SOUTHERN BRAZIL

This is definitely one of the most interesting and fascinating train rides in the whole world. Board the train at Curitiba's train station (sadly no longer used for regular services) and before you know it the diesel-hauled train starts chugging its way along this railway, built by the British and which cost many lives when it was built. Come and see Brazil's lush vegetation and Araucaria palms and then the breathtaking scenery of the coastal mountain range. You arrive at Morretes Station or (on Sundays only) Paranaguá, although the stretch between Morretes and Paranaguá is nothing to write home about.

You can book special day trips, which after the train ride treat you to a luncheon in Morretes, tasting the local dish "barreado" and a quick tour of the beaches and/or the historical town of Antonina in a minivan that shall then whisk you back to Curitiba, and can drop you off at any hotel in downtown Curitiba. Or, if you prefer, you can wait for the train to bring you back.

There are also special night trains to Piraquara for romantic dinners at the local station which has been converted into a pizzeria.

To get some idea of the journey, check it out by watching the following video. (It is spoken in Portuguese but pictures speak more than words here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUNH09pqUdg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDxF2qlb8Ps&feature=fvw (music only, no words)
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 11:44
English to Greek
+ ...
Silk road Sep 5, 2009

Hello,

These topics "things to do and see before you die" make me feel anxious that it's going to happen pretty soon and that I don't have much time left...

Anyway, a trip I would like to do is the old northern silk road. It's something I've never really looked seriously into, but I fill with excitement when I think of places with entirely different history and background than our own. Places where time has a different pace and where I'd get a pretty good chance to fee
... See more
Hello,

These topics "things to do and see before you die" make me feel anxious that it's going to happen pretty soon and that I don't have much time left...

Anyway, a trip I would like to do is the old northern silk road. It's something I've never really looked seriously into, but I fill with excitement when I think of places with entirely different history and background than our own. Places where time has a different pace and where I'd get a pretty good chance to feel and smell history. Definitely not a popular tourists choice.

Another thing I'd like to do, which I'll most likely start soon, is trekking through the mountains of northern Greece. Who knows, maybe afterwards I'll get in the mood to continue more to the north, visiting the Balkan countries and experiencing first-hand our Balkanic temperament!
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:44
Flemish to English
+ ...
Space, the final frontier... Sep 5, 2009

I had the privilege to fly for free in the cockpit of wide-bodied airplanes. Have seen a lot of places and have been to a lot a countries. There were also flights over the North-Pole, taking-off in Anchorage. The beauty, wildness and silence on the North Pole is something, I will always remember. However, in now and 10 years, I would like to book a flight on Virgin Galactic (is that tax-deductible) and see space with my own eyes. ]

[Edited at 2009-09-05 12:07 GMT]

Ahmed Dahman
Ahmed Dahman  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 10:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
OMG! Something wrong O_o Sep 6, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:

Eleni, I really felt the same! The strange thing is that I didn't think of any place to go or anything to do even when writing this
This is so pathetic and I think I should go and speak to someone

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trips to take before you die

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »